Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:07 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not about who works for whom, it's about doing the right thing. If the CEO/Board of Directors/Senior Management at Publix has an issue over paying a penny per pound more for Tomatoes that's a pretty big problem in my opinion in terms of the company's conscience, as well as a severe lack of respect for those who work very hard to supply produce to them. As I'm typing this it occurred to me how little Florida produce I see at Publix and how much of it comes from Mexico or other Latin American countries which I'm sure is more in keeping with their bully tendency in terms of driving a lower price. For those that utilize ethics about where they choose to spend their dollars companies like Publix who demonstrate a lack make it an easy choice to go to stores like Whole Foods, who do the right thing when it comes to ethical practices when dealing with farmers and suppliers, and their growing practices...versus the sole criteria of the almighty dollar.
And you know this how? Are you in management at a Publix?
Their statement has been their issue is with the fact that PUBLIX is not their employer and it is up to the CEO/management of the farms to pay the people they hire the penny per pound and then pass it on in the contract they make with the grocers. They have nothing against the pickers just think businesses should pay their own employees. Of course then in the end the extra penny will be passed onto the consumer.

Last edited by Rabflmom; 11-06-2014 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 06:26 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
CIW’s legally binding Fair Food Agreements--Florida’s migrant tomato pickers earn 45-50 cents for each 32-pound bucket they pick. Some grocery chains resist paying even an additional penny per pound to help impoverished farmworkers.
In Florida, the country’s largest producer of freshmarket tomatoes, each tomato is hand-made, tended by farmworkers like Delfina, Maria, Teresa and Josefina produce Florida’s annual crop of 1 billion pounds of fresh-market tomatoes, a crop whose wholesale value exceeds $619 million. For every dollar we spend on a supermarket tomato, the field worker who picks it gets just 1 cent.8 The CIW has also aided in the investigation and federal prosecution of several slavery operations in Floridian agriculture

quote: And you know this how? Are you in management at a Publix? I am not, but I do know what happens on the farms and the human rights that are violated. Why would anyone condone not paying it? and Yes the penny is paid from consumer to worker - YEY! A penny that will NOT go to a multimillionaire investor. So? - Walmart and other co's have agreed, Why not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaliti...okalee_Workers

Old 11-08-2014, 01:11 AM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times
some famous guy named Ben once said "a penny saved is a penny earned" no matter who is saving it

Old 11-08-2014, 01:48 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
This seems like a joke. The extra money is not going to make it to the people that need it and for which this is all intended for. The farmers and corporations will probably keep the money and continue to exploit the farm workers. I don't think this is going to solve much even with the good intentions of many.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:13 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
I'm going to go buy plenty of tomatoes from Publix today!

Old 11-08-2014, 06:00 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I'm going to go buy plenty of tomatoes from Publix today!
Of course you are, I wouldn't expect anything different in Floriduh.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:38 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Publix is no better than small markets like Presidente. They used to be the best but have settled for being like the rest. As for farm workers...want to raise wages, deport all the illegals. You have to reduce the supply of workers to increase wages, period!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
CIW’s legally binding Fair Food Agreements--Florida’s migrant tomato pickers earn 45-50 cents for each 32-pound bucket they pick. Some grocery chains resist paying even an additional penny per pound to help impoverished farmworkers.
In Florida, the country’s largest producer of freshmarket tomatoes, each tomato is hand-made, tended by farmworkers like Delfina, Maria, Teresa and Josefina produce Florida’s annual crop of 1 billion pounds of fresh-market tomatoes, a crop whose wholesale value exceeds $619 million. For every dollar we spend on a supermarket tomato, the field worker who picks it gets just 1 cent.8 The CIW has also aided in the investigation and federal prosecution of several slavery operations in Floridian agriculture

quote: And you know this how? Are you in management at a Publix? I am not, but I do know what happens on the farms and the human rights that are violated. Why would anyone condone not paying it? and Yes the penny is paid from consumer to worker - YEY! A penny that will NOT go to a multimillionaire investor. So? - Walmart and other co's have agreed, Why not?

Coalition of Immokalee Workers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Considering over half of the agricultural workers are illegals, it's really not my problem. If they don't like it they can go back to where they came from. I have no empathy for those who break the law and then make demands.

That said, I shop mostly at Whole Foods and local organic farmers and buy USDA organic.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:28 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
As for farm workers...want to raise wages, deport all the illegals. You have to reduce the supply of workers to increase wages, period!
Lol. Americans would have to be out in the fields picking their own fruits and vegetables if it wasn't for the "illegals".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flkuZJ1did8

Old 11-09-2014, 05:08 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Lol. Americans would have to be out in the fields picking their own fruits and vegetables if it wasn't for the "illegals".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flkuZJ1did8
Who do you think picked the fruits and vegetables before the illegals showed up ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida