Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:46 PM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/25/bu...ress.html?_r=0

The big companies have pledged to buy only from growers who follow the new standards, paying them an extra penny a pound, which goes to the pickers. The companies have also pledged to drop any suppliers that violate the standards. Under the program, tomato pickers may receive an extra $60 to $80 a week because of the penny-a-pound premium. That means a 20 to 35 percent weekly pay increase for these workers, who average about $8.75 an hour. The extra penny a pound means that participating companies together pay an additional $4 million a year for tomatoes.

Publix should join others and pay extra penny for tomatoes Publix has ignored the pleas of Florida's customers and farmworkers to pay a small premium in the price of tomatoes that would lift pickers' pay one penny per pound.

While that commitment might, say, up the price of a pound of tomatoes in Publix's produce aisle, for our state's farmworkers, who have long suffered miserable compensation for their back-breaking work, that extra penny represents a drastic improvement in pay. Harvesters are typically paid 50 cents for every 32-pound bucket, so that additional cent could potentially lift their poverty-level earnings by 64 percent.

Wendy’s continues to be in the sights of a human-rights organization seeking to end what it calls the exploitation of workers who pick tomatoes in Florida.Wendy’s is the sole Fair Food holdout among the nation’s top five fast-food companies.

maybe Publix and Wendy's just should not sell tomatoes or maybe we should not longer buy them from there. A penny? forget you- will drive up just a little further and shop elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 05:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Just because they say the extra funds are going to the pickers does not mean the pickers will actually see any of it.
Shop where you want for whatever reason you want but that is your choice and others who shop elsewhere that is their choice.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Just because they say the extra funds are going to the pickers does not mean the pickers will actually see any of it.
Shop where you want for whatever reason you want but that is your choice and others who shop elsewhere that is their choice.
Actually it does mean that and it's working in terms of increasing salaries. It would seem Publix is much like other companies such as Domino's or Papa John's where the CEOs could care less about those who work for them, directly or indirectly. I will vote with my shopping dollars elsewhere as a result. Those with a conscience should consider it also.

The Coalition of Immokalee Workers Puts Pressure on Publix to Sign Their Fair Food Program

Old 11-03-2014, 09:08 PM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Actually it does. get the facts

Old 11-04-2014, 02:14 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,233,666 times
I still hate Wal-Mart but it's good to see they're treating the farm workers with some dignity. I'll get my produce somewhere besides Publix.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I still hate Wal-Mart but it's good to see they're treating the farm workers with some dignity. I'll get my produce somewhere besides Publix.
Probably just as well anyway since it seems most of Publix's produce lasts a whole day or two before rotting.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:33 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,181,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Probably just as well anyway since it seems most of Publix's produce lasts a whole day or two before rotting.
I don't know....the tomatoes I bought from Publix on October 23 from Publix were still good last night when I used them in the fajitas I made for supper. I did refrigerate them after I didn't use them the first week, though. I tend to have a worse problem with fruits and veggies from Walmart...though they do have the best deal on 15 pound bags of potatoes around. If something does go bad in a day- very unlikely btw...just bring it back with the receipt and they will refund the money you spent without a hastle.

BTW do you know Publix reason for not giving the penny to the pickers? The pickers do not work for Publix they work for the people/farm/company that grows the tomatoes. They need to negotiate with them and then the farming company can pass the added cost up to the companies that they then sell the tomatoes too. Publix has nothing against the pickers making more money. They are just trying to get it from someone they do not work for. Publix is not responsible for paying the wages of any of their suppliers.

Think about it....it is sort of like......the cashiers at a store saying, "we do not get paid enough". BUT instead of asking for a raise from their boss, they decide to add 1 cent or 10 cents or $1(what's to stop them) to each item they ring out for you when you shop instead of going to their boss and saying" Hey, we need a raise." Would you be willing to pay someone you do not employ part of their wages or would you expect them to get it from the company they work for?

Old 11-06-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post

BTW do you know Publix reason for not giving the penny to the pickers? The pickers do not work for Publix they work for the people/farm/company that grows the tomatoes. They need to negotiate with them and then the farming company can pass the added cost up to the companies that they then sell the tomatoes too. Publix has nothing against the pickers making more money. They are just trying to get it from someone they do not work for. Publix is not responsible for paying the wages of any of their suppliers.

Think about it....it is sort of like......the cashiers at a store saying, "we do not get paid enough". BUT instead of asking for a raise from their boss, they decide to add 1 cent or 10 cents or $1(what's to stop them) to each item they ring out for you when you shop instead of going to their boss and saying" Hey, we need a raise." Would you be willing to pay someone you do not employ part of their wages or would you expect them to get it from the company they work for?
It's not about who works for whom, it's about doing the right thing. If the CEO/Board of Directors/Senior Management at Publix has an issue over paying a penny per pound more for Tomatoes that's a pretty big problem in my opinion in terms of the company's conscience, as well as a severe lack of respect for those who work very hard to supply produce to them. As I'm typing this it occurred to me how little Florida produce I see at Publix and how much of it comes from Mexico or other Latin American countries which I'm sure is more in keeping with their bully tendency in terms of driving a lower price. For those that utilize ethics about where they choose to spend their dollars companies like Publix who demonstrate a lack make it an easy choice to go to stores like Whole Foods, who do the right thing when it comes to ethical practices when dealing with farmers and suppliers, and their growing practices...versus the sole criteria of the almighty dollar.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:10 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not about who works for whom, it's about doing the right thing. If the CEO/Board of Directors/Senior Management at Publix has an issue over paying a penny per pound more for Tomatoes that's a pretty big problem in my opinion in terms of the company's conscience, as well as a severe lack of respect for those who work very hard to supply produce to them. As I'm typing this it occurred to me how little Florida produce I see at Publix and how much of it comes from Mexico or other Latin American countries which I'm sure is more in keeping with their bully tendency in terms of driving a lower price. For those that utilize ethics about where they choose to spend their dollars companies like Publix who demonstrate a lack make it an easy choice to go to stores like Whole Foods, who do the right thing when it comes to ethical practices when dealing with farmers and suppliers, and their growing practices...versus the sole criteria of the almighty dollar.
It certainly IS about who works for whom.

And I don't think you know anything about the grocery business.

There IS NO margin. They have to TURN their merchandise once every seven days. But I'm guessing you don't know what that means.

Whole Foods? LOL you think their produce doesn't come from Mexico or Latin America? It's RIGHT ON THE SIGNS where it comes from, for chrissakes.

What about Whole Foods buying from CHINA?

Whole Foods Market responds to WJLA | Whole Foods Market

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/bu...pagewanted=all

Did you ever read the PACKAGE on the "Alaskan Salmon" from Target? It's Alaskan Salmon from CHINA.

Do you even KNOW about GARDENING?

You say you see very little FLORIDA produce in Publix? So you THINK you can GROW everything in Florida soil and weather?

This is a perfect example of people RANTING without any facts. Please research before making false claims.

P.S. Mexico Raspberries are on sale at PBG Whole Foods this week. 2 for $4.00 reg 1 for $3.99

Old 11-06-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It certainly IS about who works for whom.

And I don't think you know anything about the grocery business.

There IS NO margin. They have to TURN their merchandise once every seven days. But I'm guessing you don't know what that means.

Whole Foods? LOL you think their produce doesn't come from Mexico or Latin America? It's RIGHT ON THE SIGNS where it comes from, for chrissakes.

What about Whole Foods buying from CHINA?

Whole Foods Market responds to WJLA | Whole Foods Market

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/bu...pagewanted=all

Did you ever read the PACKAGE on the "Alaskan Salmon" from Target? It's Alaskan Salmon from CHINA.

Do you even KNOW about GARDENING?

You say you see very little FLORIDA produce in Publix? So you THINK you can GROW everything in Florida soil and weather?

This is a perfect example of people RANTING without any facts. Please research before making false claims.

Apparently you're the one who doesn't know much and appear to enjoy a good rant about nonsense...speaking of failed research, you win!

Publix's profits for just the second Quarter (three months) of 2014 were over 400 million dollars

Publix bags bigger profit - Tampa Bay Business Journal

Whole Foods isn't buying fresh produce from China, it's just a small percentage of their own branded frozen vegetables which were grown as certified organic. Seriously did you even read the article?

Furthermore Whole Foods practices what they preach concerning growers. While they may have conventional produce alongside other organics it's because they don't have the local supply or it's out of season, and not because of some Nazi policy where they won't "involve themselves" with paying a penny more per pound for tomatoes.

Read this and see if Publix comes close anywhere...

How Our Produce Rating System Stacks Up | Whole Foods Market
Food Ingredient Quality Standards | Whole Foods Market
Animal Welfare Standards | Whole Foods Market
Seafood Quality Standards | Whole Foods Market

Did I even mention Target???

Do I know about gardening and farming? Yes....yes, I do. I am from a farm family and having created/managed a farmers market for many years know just a good bit about it. You on the other hand appear to have no real clue....and yes you can grow most everything in Florida soil with hundreds of Florida farmers doing so every year and they largely have to resort to selling to smaller grocers/produce stands because Publix tries to lowball them which in turn kills profits. Publix is like WalMart in terms of it's buying practices and is in no way a saint.

Orlando, FL - Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food / Pick your Own

Now run along and play...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida