Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:13 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times

Advertisements

Pretty much Orlando and South of Orlando, is nothing like the South (in terms of people), which is why I like it. Orlando tends to lean blue, while South Florida leans blue quite a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 01:33 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,701,283 times
I don't really identify with southern-ness and southern culture so the less and less FL retains it's southern culture, the better. I prefer sophisticated, chic, good-looking yuppie types and interesting well-traveled people who have open minds and are educated....where do I find ppl like that?

oh yeah, in California.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:07 PM

734 posts, read 922,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
IME, it seemed like the most dissatisfied FL transplants were Southerners -- and I'm talking about real Southerners, not someone from up North who moved to NC or TN and realized that winters were much colder than they expected and the culture and customs, too alien.
They can leave. No big loss.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:47 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,935,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I'm originally from TN, living in IN for work, but don't care for the winters here and lack of scenery, and am considering relocating to FL within the next two years. If you're from elsewhere in the South, do you consider FL to have any Southern charm, better weather, or not at all similar to other Southern areas?

Not much southern charm or culture is left in most parts of FL.

I'm a FL native but long-term, I'd prefer Upstate SC or Western NC over FL. No, I dont think FL has better weather. I prefer seasons.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I don't really identify with southern-ness and southern culture so the less and less FL retains it's southern culture, the better. I prefer sophisticated, chic, good-looking yuppie types and interesting well-traveled people who have open minds and are educated....where do I find ppl like that?

oh yeah, in California.

LOL, I was gonna say, why are you in FL then? Then I see you said you find those types in CA.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:51 PM

As you can see, youre going to find probably very few folks down here from other southern states living in FL. and the ones that do, are probably interested in returning to whichever southern state they came from. I've met very, very few ppl here in FL from places like NC or TN.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:06 PM

8,074 posts, read 4,751,083 times
I'm from Georgia originally, and I like that Stuart/Martin County is a lot less like most of South Florida. We don't have the crime problems of Broward/Dade/Palm Beach Counties, and the county government seems dead set against allowing the county to get built up with urban sprawl. I love the weather, and I even love the lack of pronounced seasonal changes.

As for the "Southern charm," I like to think I bring a bit of it wherever I go.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 PM

734 posts, read 922,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
As you can see, youre going to find probably very few folks down here from other southern states living in FL. and the ones that do, are probably interested in returning to whichever southern state they came from. I've met very, very few ppl here in FL from places like NC or TN.
You won't believe me, but half of my friend base down here is from NC. All of them say they won't go back.

Me, I like NC a lot. I'd be happy in Charlotte or Raleigh.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:38 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,628,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
You won't believe me, but half of my friend base down here is from NC. All of them say they won't go back.

I don't believe it. Everyone I've known who's lived in both NC and Fl can't wait to get back to NC. Everyone.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post

Ur right, i dont believe you LOL.

CLT and Raleigh are both nice places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida