Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 06:53 AM

5 posts, read 8,130 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but I'll be moving to Panama City in May so I'm scouting out apartments and home rentals and such.

I was just curious if there was anyone on here from the area, or nearby that might be able to tell me what I might expect to pay for electricity and gas and water and such for about an 1100 sq ft 2bd/2ba place?

I haven't selected a particular property yet, but I know it won't be some old trailer as seems to be common around PC, It will be a relatively efficient townhouse or home. Just trying to budget, thanks for any info.

-Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 03:46 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,107 times
It will depend on who your electric provider is. Duke Energy is high, FPL has some of the lowest in the nation.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 13,776 times
Water is about $50 every other month. Electricity varies from $60 in the winter to sometimes $200 in the summer, depending on how much you run the A/C. Gulf Power will most likely be your electricity provider.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,103 times
Post Utilities in Panama City, FL

Hi jldude84,

For a 3bd/2bt house, with 2 people the utilities usually average out as follows:

Water/Sewer: $75/mo (with outside water being "free" since it is well, not city water)
Electric: From as low as $80/mo when we don't need to use either the central heat, nor A/C - to as much as $200/mo during the Aug 1st to Sept 1st billing cycle (which seems to be the hottest of the year)

During the hot months, during the most expensive times, we keep the A/C at 77 degrees - which is barely tolerable. Also during these hot months, at night the A/C is kept at 73 degrees, until 6am when it is set to 75 degrees until 1pm, when the most expensive time activates again. This information has all been obtained by looking at a years worth of bills, and averaging them out. It's pretty much the same, year after year.

By monitoring our electricity this way, our bill is half of my neighbor's - who keeps their thermostat at over 80 degrees and lives alone.

I was under the understanding that Gulf Power had the monopoly on electricity for Panama City - but there may be another company - but I don't know much about them myself - called Gulf Electric Cooperative. I would check them out too, instead of just going with Gulf Power. As for water - it could be one of many - depending on in which part of Panama City you live.

If you decide to move here and own - my first recommendation to you, would be to get on Gulf Power's Energy Select program to automate your electricity. I have saved hundreds a year by doing this. I would also consider installing a metal roof, if you plan on staying in your house for a while - this also saved me a lot of money, and I not only got a rebate from Gulf Power, I got when I filed my taxes as well.

If you're coming from anywhere like Seoul - just so you know - you're going to lose your mind with boredom... unless you happen to be near retirement age (I didn't check your age, sorry), then you might be all right. I'm actually in the process of finding somewhere else to live because I can't stand it anymore... but of course there are a ton of people who love it. I used to LOOOOVE visiting, but it's a different story living here.

MUCH luck to you either way!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: