Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you moved from the NE to Fl, are you more active now than you were?
Yes, I'm much more active and healthy now than I was 15 55.56%
No, I'm less active and less healthy now than I was 6 22.22%
My activity and health have not changed much 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:11 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,227 times

Advertisements

For those of you that have moved from the NE to Florida, do you feel that living in a warmer climate makes you more active? Do you feel that your overall health is better now than it was back in the NE? Just curious...

Now all of the bashers will most likely have a field day with this one, I'm sure, but I did ask for opinions.

Thanks

(The moaning will commence in...5...4...3...2...1...)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 10:32 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
For those of you that have moved from the NE to Florida, do you feel that living in a warmer climate makes you more active? Do you feel that your overall health is better now than it was back in the NE? Just curious...

Now all of the bashers will most likely have a field day with this one, I'm sure, but I did ask for opinions.

Thanks

Do you just want a specific answer or are you ok with people having opinions that may differ from yours... Some of the overexaggerations come from those who have never lived here & think it is pure paradise & dare someone post something other than what they want to hear...

Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer

You may want to reask this question at the end of July/August.

I found SWFL weather to drain me of energy. There were days upon days of heat indexes over 100 degrees. Never saw anyone outside doing anything after 11am expect for the landscaping people. We also lived in an area that was mostly retirees, so most of the homes were boarded up, so that may have a lot to do with it.

We also lived in central TX for about 5 yrs & I never could acclimate to the endless summer.

The obvious next few months almost anyone can do anything outdoors right now in many areas of FL.

My nature just prefers variety. I love going for runs in about 40 degree weather. Yesterday was sunny & about the mid 40s; perfect to do yardwork or go for a run/walk. Absoluetly love taking my toddler outside right now. Love skiing, so can't wait for some more snow. Also, my child cried when his snowman melted & keeps wanting to build another one.

We know the frigid air will make an appearance again but it usually just for a few days & then it gets more tolerable. Just can't say that for SWFL weather.

We are not boaters or golfers. If we were, then I am sure FL weather is perfect 365.

Depends on what people like...which is not against the law...and sure there are pros & cons.

We are much more active in weather that can be found in midwestern states/NE states.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:44 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
I think for me getting older has made me lazy but I would not say the weather here or up north made much differece. although I have been getting more active because sitting around is not good.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:50 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:

Thanks

Although there may be more opportunity it would seem, most people retreat indoors when it's hot. You can drive through neighborhood after neighborhood and except for the lawn guys you won't see a soul outside.

Last edited by macguy; 01-13-2008 at 12:00 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Do you just want a specific answer or are you ok with people having opinions that may differ from yours... Some of the overexaggerations come from those who have never lived here & think it is pure paradise & dare someone post something other than what they want to hear...

Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer

You may want to reask this question at the end of July/August.

I found SWFL weather to drain me of energy. There were days upon days of heat indexes over 100 degrees. Never saw anyone outside doing anything after 11am expect for the landscaping people. We also lived in an area that was mostly retirees, so most of the homes were boarded up, so that may have a lot to do with it.

We also lived in central TX for about 5 yrs & I never could acclimate to the endless summer.

The obvious next few months almost anyone can do anything outdoors right now in many areas of FL.

My nature just prefers variety. I love going for runs in about 40 degree weather. Yesterday was sunny & about the mid 40s; perfect to do yardwork or go for a run/walk. Absoluetly love taking my toddler outside right now. Love skiing, so can't wait for some more snow. Also, my child cried when his snowman melted & keeps wanting to build another one.

We know the frigid air will make an appearance again but it usually just for a few days & then it gets more tolerable. Just can't say that for SWFL weather.

We are not boaters or golfers. If we were, then I am sure FL weather is perfect 365.

Depends on what people like...which is not against the law...and sure there are pros & cons.

We are much more active in weather that can be found in midwestern states/NE states.

My question and poll was to ask if people who moved from the NE felt they were more active and healthy living in a warmer climate in Fla. As I did state in my original post, I did expect some negative answers. I never said I did not want them (I just poked fun at them )

Thanks for your post, though. What you pointed out about how people keep active and how the climate lends itself to it/does not lend itself to it, is very true. If your someone who likes to ski the slopes, Fla is not for you. I have a different opinion about the weather in the NE and how active you can be in it. I don't think the weather here is conducive to living an active lifestyle. I would never take my child out in 40 degree weather to run around because here it is much too cold for me and my back will start to hurt, my knees etc... I'd rather run around with my children in sunnier, warmer weather.

Unfortunately in Pennsy, even 40 degrees feels cold to me. Perhaps it's the dampness of it. But then, I never was a 'playing in the snow' person either. The only time I remember enjoying snow was when I was very little and did not have to go to school. Of course, my mom had to go to work so she had to figure out to get four kids baby-sat for the day, the walkway shoveled, the car cleaned off, and at work on time. No wonder she was never happy about the snow!! Now I know!!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:10 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:
My question and poll was to ask if people who moved from the NE felt they were more active and healthy living in a warmer climate in Fla. As I did state in my original post, I did expect some negative answers. I never said I did not want them (I just poked fun at them )

Thanks for your post, though. What you pointed out about how people keep active and how the climate lends itself to it/does not lend itself to it, is very true. If your someone who likes to ski the slopes, Fla is not for you. I have a different opinion about the weather in the NE and how active you can be in it. I don't think the weather here is conducive to living an active lifestyle. I would never take my child out in 40 degree weather to run around because here it is much too cold for me and my back will start to hurt, my knees etc... I'd rather run around with my children in sunnier, warmer weather.

Unfortunately in Pennsy, even 40 degrees feels cold to me. Perhaps it's the dampness of it. But then, I never was a 'playing in the snow' person either. The only time I remember enjoying snow was when I was very little and did not have to go to school. Of course, my mom had to go to work so she had to figure out to get four kids baby-sat for the day, the walkway shoveled, the car cleaned off, and at work on time. No wonder she was never happy about the snow!! Now I know!!
What it does and it depends on what you mean by actives is, it lets you live your life without a lot of interference. You can do business, be pretty much sure you will be on time for meetings or not late for work. Most days you know what to expect as far as weather and it isn't prohibitive in any way regarding most activities. I would best describe Florida's weather as convenient for what you want to do and can tolerate.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:34 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,855 times
K well I'll give you a simple answer and say yes. I was wayyyy more active.... I was out constantly, even if it was hot out, i went bowling, movies, beach, downtown to friends house,bbqing at sunset, taking my dog to the beach or the dog park, mini golf, pool, ice skating, Hockey games etc. I was out every weekend, never home on a friday night. Football games at the bar with friends, starbucks and a walk on the pier downtown.

Now living in NE I don't go out AT ALL in the cold weather. I friggin HATE it.. Don't care what anyone says, its not refreshing, its COLD and miserable...... There's no dog parks, I'm 2 hours from th closest beach, people aren't THAT friendly, there's no art festivals or any festivals in the winter for that fact. Its harder to go places cause the roads are impassable sometimes. Its gets darker earlier so less things to do. Movies here don't open till 5 pm, same with bowling. I don't ski, I don't sled, i don't like to be out in the cold for that long

YES my quaility of life was immeasurably more active and fulfiling in Fl...

Old 01-13-2008, 11:53 AM

847 posts, read 3,520,019 times
I would say yes/maybe more active in the winter. For example, we walk at night with the dog here but that is probably more because we are trying to be healthy and lose weight. However, the nice weather now certainly makes that easier. The winters have gotten mild in Virginia so we probably could have walked there now too but not everyday like we do here.
Now, on the other side, from June-October, I would say the activity is less because it is so hot, everyone wants to stay in the air conditioning. I see kids outside playing now but no way do I see then outside in my neighborhood in the summer, unless they are in the pool.
When I moved here, I thought I would be healthier and really have not seen much of a difference, it is way too hot here in the summer to do anything outside except swim but the winter weather can be lovely so if you are into things like walking, biking, etc., that is great for that. I am also to blame for not being as active, it is as much my fault as any. However, during the summer, no way.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
I had a health issue that was exacerbated by the cold weather in NY (arthritis from an old injury). The issue is just about non-existent now in FL (unless we get days and days of serious rain....but when was the last time that happened? ).

I don't know if I'm more active, I was pretty active when I lived in NYC (if I were in the 'burbs, maybe I woudl not have gotten out as much? ). But I would say I get outside every day in Florida, even if it's just in my own backyard.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:10 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times
This isn't 'warm' climate- this is actually hot climate. I stay indoors, in air conditioned comfort as much as possible. I work out at a gym (indoors of course) but the heat actually inhibits my outdoor activity during the day. I enjoy doing things in the evening- bike riding after work, running the track at the park- in the evening long after the kiddies have gone home, etc. I also notice that down here- kids are not outside (in the neighborhood) as much as they are up north. Some say its technology (vid games, computers, etc) but I just think it's a regional thing (loosely related to the weather).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida