Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:04 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times

Advertisements

I need to know what the Florida lifestyle is. I hear people talking about it and I don't have a clue what it is. I have been here all my life and I want to know what I may be missing.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:07 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,492 times
Well, from the Bealls commercials on TV, it is what you get / live when you shop at their store!

I could not tell you either, having lived in and out of Florida for over 25 years... I wounder what it is myself.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:09 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
hah- good post firemed. IMO that was a phrase coined by Burdine's- retired- sipping spiked lemonade all day at your Olympic sized pool in Palm Beach. You wear shorts and sandals 12 months of the year and drive a Bentley convertible. Actually- it sounds like the Cali lifestyle they promoted in the 70's- Beverly Hills, Palm trees and happiness (no- no one works)

Gotta give credit to the brainwashing adverts!.

sunny

Old 05-11-2007, 05:11 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
For me its living in a sunny place, where the weather is not cold often, its having easy access to the beaches, its being able to visit International Drive, Disney, Sea World, Universal whenever I want to...its sitting by the pool with drink in hand on Thanksgiving day...while my friends in New England freeze their butts off...

Whenever I am not at work or school, I feel like I am on vacation...

Old 05-11-2007, 05:30 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
For me its living in a sunny place, where the weather is not cold often, its having easy access to the beaches, its being able to visit International Drive, Disney, Sea World, Universal whenever I want to...its sitting by the pool with drink in hand on Thanksgiving day...while my friends in New England freeze their butts off...

Whenever I am not at work or school, I feel like I am on vacation...
I can understand if you were from the Boston area this would be whole new lifestyle. I have been to New England and outside of the history it would not be a place I would want to live. Not a very friendly place. But on a good note, I do like the band Boston !

Old 05-11-2007, 05:36 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
I grew up part of my life near Boston and part near Dallas...I was more used to the LOOK of Boston with the green grass and green trees, so Dallas was an awful shock to me at first...the brown was literally depressing for me but then again the winter was literally depressing for me as well...

I hated the dry, terribly HOT summers of Texas...so I feel I have the best of it all here in Florida...we get rain, we get hot but not as hot as in Texas, and no winter stuff like Boston...

Of course there are downsides like hurricanes but we had some pretty terrible storms in Boston, I still remember the storm of 1978 that paralyzed the tri state area...then Texas has tornado alley and fires during the summer...

My biggest attraction I have to say is the beach, I need to be close to the ocean...if I am far away, I feel as if I am far away from where I belong...I belong near the ocean...

Old 05-14-2007, 08:11 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Where other people start their work day between 8 & 9 a.m., in general....here, in Florida, work does not start until at least noon...especially in the summer, where the snowbirds have all flown back north & we're trying to get contractors and/or workers to complete necessary jobs.

My first question, when I sought employement awhile back, at a Toyota dealership, "Can you be to work at 9 a.m.?"....uh...well, YES...

People working in Florida do not: call in sick. They just don't come in.

just kidding a bit on this ... but, the vacation atmosphere certainly leads to slacking on the job.!

Old 05-14-2007, 02:38 PM

326 posts, read 470,616 times
I was told by several Florida locals that the lifestyle is more slow paced than it is in other big cities (chicago, for instance).

Old 05-14-2007, 02:44 PM

97 posts, read 395,845 times
Great If You're Retired. Not A Place To Make Money. Nice To Visit From Time To Time , Really Not To Live Permanently. Very Slow Paced, No Culture, Party Land, Disney Fantasy , Hot And Oceans.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:45 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
"The Florida Lifestyle" is a made-up term that was created by some company to get money from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida