Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2006, 01:37 AM

328 posts, read 240,093 times

Advertisements

My husband, our 4 year old son and myself will be moving to Navarre in about a week. Our families live in opposite directions and they are both at least 24 hours away. We love sports, music, playing games, karaoke...just having a great time, in general. Does anyone have any suggestions? Church has been mentioned by some and that's a start. I'm very shy and that makes it a little more difficult...from your previous experience, how have you met the true friends that you have? Thanks for any help in advance!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 04:50 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,960 times
Yes, you should find a mother's and/or play group to join in the area. That way your son meets to play with other kids his age and starts making friends and you meet the moms at the same time, ultimately making friends. You can do a search for moms groups online, there are lots of places that should come up (yahoo groups, meetup, craigslist - all good places to check). If you can't find a group to join just start your own and advertise it on those sites.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:07 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
Actually, church is where I met my best friend, though she goes to a different church, now, and I don't go at all, (long story ). Anyway, the mom's group idea is a good one. There is also the YMCA, the Navarre Youth Sports Association, (I think that's the name. It's been a long time, since I had any involvement in that). I know you said your son is four; you would have to check out their age limits for stuff, but they probably have pre-tee ball, etc., if your little guy is into anything like that. I believe they have a story-time at our local library. Y'all could meet kids and moms there. I'm sure there are others who can give you more/better ideas than mine, but for what it's worth, that's my take. Oh yeah, there is also a little park, right on 98, next to the visitor center, (not far from the bridge to the beach). It has some nice equipment. And, the Butterfly House is right there, also.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:09 AM

49 posts, read 282,741 times
Smile You will do great!

Don't worry! I know that moving is so stressful and you think that you will never meet new friends and have the same network as your previous community, but you will! There are wonderful people everywhere-you just need to be open to talking to people and socializing. I agree with RedWingsFan-finding a playgroup or Moms group is a great way to start. You may also be enrolling your 4 year old son in preschool (Florida has a free voluntary pre-K program that you may want to look into). I seem to meet most of my friends through my children. Its a great common bond. At 4 years old, your son may also be interested in joining a soccer or little league program. That is also a great way to meet people. Unfortunately I do not live in the area that you are moving, but I can assure you that if you look for opportunities to get involved in things that interest you, you will meet some wonderful new friends. Good luck with your move! You will do fine!
Laurie

Old 11-09-2006, 09:08 AM

71 posts, read 272,947 times
Welcome to Florida. We like it here and think you will too.

Good answers from all.
We agree, you will meet a bunch of people with common interests through your kids. Our's are 5, 3 and 1.

We also suggest sending your kids to a good pre-school (not just child care) and then volunteering some at the school.
Getting involved will help your child's school, which benefits your child and helps you meet a group of people with a common bond.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:00 PM

328 posts, read 240,093 times
Thank you all SO MUCH for the responses...we are so excited to get involved in the area and the suggestions were great! We are looking forward to meeting such helpful, nice people like yourselves! Thank you, again!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:08 AM

46 posts, read 92,767 times
The best way to get to know people in Navarre, Florida, is to get involved with the beach volleyball at Juana Pagoda's. It's located at the end of the Navarre Causeway on the right side. There are wonderful people there and it's so much fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida