Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 09:22 PM

76 posts, read 337,089 times

Advertisements

I've been researching about the Florida panhandle, and it seems that as to whether or not Tallahassee is legitimately a panhandle city, it's a flip of a coin when it comes to different people's/source's opinions , so I'ma ask you native Floridians: Is Leon County apart of Florida's panhandle??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
If you go back to it's founding, the story is that the state capitol was going to be moved to a new location equally distant from the two major cites of the time- Pensacola and Jacksonville. So it was designed to be both a part of and neither part of the panhandle and peninsula. In modern days, sometimes, it makes more sense to call it one or the other, so it remains fluid.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Yes, Tallahassee is in the panhandle. I am quite certain that if you asked Tallahassee residents whether or not they live in the Panhandle, the vast majority would say yes.

To me (and I think to most), the panhandle consists of everything west of and including Jefferson County.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you go back to it's founding, the story is that the state capitol was going to be moved to a new location equally distant from the two major cites of the time- Pensacola and Jacksonville. So it was designed to be both a part of and neither part of the panhandle and peninsula. In modern days, sometimes, it makes more sense to call it one or the other, so it remains fluid.
So you're saying it's both, then?

Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Yes, Tallahassee is in the panhandle. I am quite certain that if you asked Tallahassee residents whether or not they live in the Panhandle, the vast majority would say yes.

To me (and I think to most), the panhandle consists of everything west of and including Jefferson County.

Majority rule/vote doesn't make something true, or for instance, if most people in a class don't like a particular story, doesn't mean anything was wrong with the story. Just because so many people should just say that Tallahassee is apart of the Panhandle, doesn't make it true. Everyone's view of American geography (i.e., which states are in each sub-region, such as if Maryland is Northeastern, or if West Virginia is Southern, just a couple examples) differs, even in within one city or place, which is why I'm looking for objective, factual posts.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Not to nitpick, but Tallahassee was actually picked because it is equidistant from Pensacola and St Augustine, not Jacksonville.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Star View Post
Majority rule/vote doesn't make something true, or for instance, if most people in a class don't like a particular story, doesn't mean anything was wrong with the story. Just because so many people should just say that Tallahassee is apart of the Panhandle, doesn't make it true. Everyone's view of American geography (i.e., which states are in each sub-region, such as if Maryland is Northeastern, or if West Virginia is Southern, just a couple examples) differs, even in within one city or place, which is why I'm looking for objective, factual posts.
Okay then, I'll just say it straight up. Tallahassee is in the panhandle. That is an objective fact. The panhandle starts in Jefferson County and consists of everything west of there. The only debate is whether or not Madison and Taylor counties are a part of the panhandle. I would say that they are not. Others may disagree with that. But, Tallahassee is west of Jefferson county. Therefore, it is in the panhandle.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Okay then, I'll just say it straight up. Tallahassee is in the panhandle. That is an objective fact. The panhandle starts in Jefferson County and consists of everything west of there. The only debate is whether or not Madison and Taylor counties are a part of the panhandle. I would say that they are not. Others may disagree with that. But, Tallahassee is west of Jefferson county. Therefore, it is in the panhandle.
I'm not inclined to lean either way with this subject, I'm just analyzing this topic. And apparently this claim isn't so concrete, as these sites here say otherwise: Florida Panhandle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northwest Florida, Florida Panhandle cities, towns, beaches and attractions | VISITFLORIDA.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida