Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 10:32 AM
JSR

16 posts, read 71,877 times

Advertisements

I agree with Delray Patty. Life is what you make of it. My husband and I were both born and raised in Connecticut. We are young, well-traveled and highly educated. We are moving to South Florida because my husband received a job offer that we just couldn't turn down. Yes, we earn a great salary up here in CT but we will be earing more in Florida. We own a house in CT but we will own a bigger house in Florida. When we're ready for children I intend to have them grow up as well-traveled and highly educated Floridians. The beaches in Florida are sublime, the temperatures are great, the seafood is fresh...I could go on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 10:51 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
If someone says they like the weather I ask if they have air conditioning, anyone who uses air conditioning is a liar. Live here after a hurricane with the power off and say ho much you like the weather. California has a lot better weather but the air is filthy dirty in LA. It's cheaper and easier to heat than cool a home. Still I don't know where those higher paying jobs in Florida are comming from, no one I know has one. An area with no middle class is not an area I want to live in. Thank goodness for hurricanes.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:15 AM
JSR

16 posts, read 71,877 times
I'm not sure if you've ever been to Connecticut but I can assure you that we have to use air conditioning here too. The temperatures in July and August are in the low to mid 90's during the day and in the mid 70's at night...

And, for the record, we paid over $900 last February alone for heating oil plus $100 for electricity so I don't agree with your financial analysis.

The middle class is diminishing all over the US, not just Florida. And, your comment about hurricanes is odd. Why cut off your nose to spite your face? The only people that are being harmed by the cost of hurricanes are those people that you mentioned in your post, the ones with the low paying jobs.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:21 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
If this is happening all ofer the US it worries me. Wasn't the last time it happened before the Great Depression?

Old 11-14-2006, 12:45 PM

185 posts, read 686,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I'm not discussing the Kennedy family or thier achievments. The point is to say that northeasterners are more intellegent or educated than native Floridians is just plain arrogant and close minded. There are many people from Massachusetts in Florida who have chosen to make this thier home, and have children who are now Floridians. If I recall correctly it was Ted Kennedy who said all workers deserve fair pay no matter where they reside, or what thier monetary status. So I guess all that world travel and sophistication failed you in this case because you completely misinterpereted my point.
I apologize to you for my tone, but not for the content. As you can see elsewhere in the thread "Kennedy's a jerk" is an appropriate response to anything according to some and that's how I took your response.

Let me explain. I am a new graduate student at the major University in Central Florida, (I think-USF). I've lived in Boston, and Austin,Texas. I've visited Madison, Wisconsin and Boulder Colorado and many other college areas, northern cities, California areas, Pacific Northwest etc.......

I found a beautiful scenic area called Gulfport and bought a home there. Yet it's hard for me to find the type of urban/college feel no matter where I look.

There are some very educated people here and a lot of them are very wealthy.

Remember, the poster asked why there is so much money up North/California

I think education level is one factor. If you can find a way to say that without offending people, let me know.

Otherwise, my apologies. I was asked a question.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:14 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
If this is happening all ofer the US it worries me. Wasn't the last time it happened before the Great Depression?
It is happening in all countries of early industrialization, i.e. the US and all over Europe.

The golden age of the middle class is over. Period.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:24 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
Exclamation You can't compare the weather in CT to FL

It's so hot here almost all the time. We just finally shut the A/C off and it's freakin' November! When we moved down here 6 years ago the weather was different. By September we had days without A/C. After the hurricanes, the weather changed. Maybe even before the hurricanes it was changing, that's probably why we have had so many of them.
July and August are hot up there, yes, but try having that almost year round!!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 01:39 PM

48 posts, read 222,510 times
Angry Are you kidding?!

lisanyfl12,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanyfl12 View Post
I totally agree with you when you wrote about the average Northeaster. I see it everyday. I always tell my students about all the places I have been to. Most have only been to Disney World. Also most children in FL do not express interest in college in . If you ask a child from NY,NJ, MA, Ct about college the majority plan to go. Life in Florida is simple so if you like that then florida is the place for you but, if you are used to the quick paced always doing something lifestyle, museums, shows, music etc. then florida is not the place to be at all.
That is the most ignorant comment I have read!! Life in Florida=simple??? What part of Florida? Surely not in Miami! If it were as 'slow paced' as you make it seem then I wouldn't be leaving! Talk about generalizing. Please please PLEASE never offer advise on Florida unless they are facts! Posts like these are the reason why I suggest that if someone is interested in relocating they should check the area out themselves.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:40 PM

68 posts, read 226,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
It is happening in all countries of early industrialization, i.e. the US and all over Europe.

The golden age of the middle class is over. Period.
The middle class has to be there. The poor don't pay taxes, The rich beat Taxes. so all thats left is the middle class.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:52 PM

320 posts, read 1,130,062 times
Also, you guys in Florida have that that really high state income tax to pay.....

Oh yeah, that's right, you don't.

Take the good with the bad.

Your friend from New Jersey (the state with the highest property taxes),
Chicken Wing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida