Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 06:48 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times

Advertisements

Every morning at 7:30am, a school bus picks a teen up at his front door in our neighborhood- honking the horn to let the kid know to come out. This has continued through the holidays, as he is in a court-ordered program.

Several neighbors have complained about this to the board (we are an HOA) and so this morning I spoke to the driver, letting him know that this was disturbing the residents and asking that he not honk the horn. I was very nice about it, but he really gave me an attitude- How else do you expect him to know I'm out here? Answer- he can do what the other school kids do- stand outside and wait for the bus. That got nowhere, so I called the bus company (they have privatized bus service here). The man that I spoke to said that Florida statute allows school buses to sound their horns to have the kids come out. He was unable to cite the statute and I have looked online, but don't see any mention of it.

He said that I would have to speak to the kid's mother. Duh....if the kid listened to his mother, he wouldn't be in a court-ordered program to begin with!

Can anyone fill in the blanks for me? Can a school bus sound its horn on a public street in a neighborhood? We are 100 townhomes along a 1/4 mile stretch of road- not a house down some dirt road in the country, which I could understand would be a different story.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 03:45 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,699 times
Speaking with the parent would be the preferred method. Maybe they don't realize how inconsiderate that noise is.

I'm wondering if your HOA could pass a noise 'ordinance' and add it to the HOA rules/regulations. "No deliberate noise above x decibel level between the hours of 7:30 PM and 8:30 AM". Then the homeowner would get that threatening letter from your attorney and be fined (added to their association fees). Or maybe 30 days in the electric chair?

Or...all the neighbors could begin honking every time they pass that house (especially at oh... about 6:45 to 7:20) every morning to make this kid look outside for the bus. If they were looking, the bus wouldn't need to honk anymore. Perhaps eventually you could stop.

How old is this poor, enabled, misunderstood, darling child anyway?

Old 01-01-2009, 04:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
That's a real predicament!
I never heard of school buses stopping and honking outside someone's house, but then I have no experience with private bus service, either.
FWIW
During our first winter here, there was a public school bus that honked every school morning (not holidays) at the corner here. The bus was not picking up a kid, but rather turning at what could be considered a blind corner. We certainly noticed it, but it did not particularly bother us, we were already up and wide awake. However, this inexplicably stopped mid-year, the bus just took the turn without hitting the horn. And this year, the bus doesn't even come this way.
I doubt that anyone complained about it, but I really don't know.
I hope you can work out a solution. I'd be tempted to go directly to the kid, and ask him personally, in a low key, non-confrontational manner.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:52 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,899 times
Question Call the Cops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Every morning at 7:30am, a school bus picks a teen up at his front door in our neighborhood- honking the horn to let the kid know to come out. This has continued through the holidays, as he is in a court-ordered program.

Several neighbors have complained about this to the board (we are an HOA) and so this morning I spoke to the driver, letting him know that this was disturbing the residents and asking that he not honk the horn. I was very nice about it, but he really gave me an attitude- How else do you expect him to know I'm out here? Answer- he can do what the other school kids do- stand outside and wait for the bus. That got nowhere, so I called the bus company (they have privatized bus service here). The man that I spoke to said that Florida statute allows school buses to sound their horns to have the kids come out. He was unable to cite the statute and I have looked online, but don't see any mention of it.

He said that I would have to speak to the kid's mother. Duh....if the kid listened to his mother, he wouldn't be in a court-ordered program to begin with!

Can anyone fill in the blanks for me? Can a school bus sound its horn on a public street in a neighborhood? We are 100 townhomes along a 1/4 mile stretch of road- not a house down some dirt road in the country, which I could understand would be a different story.
All states prohibit the unnecessary use of a horn......and I am sure that if you go as a group to the local police agency they will respond to your complaint......you might consider prohibiting the school bus from entering your community since you are a HOA......or my personal best would be to send a certified letter to the school bus company...stating you complaint and if it continues...then go to small claims court and sue the school bus company......you do not even need a lawyer for this...

You might also go to the local motor vehicle office and pick up a copy of the states motor vehicle law...usually less than $5.00...you can then look up the section that prohibits the horn blowing...as well as look up any section that allows bus drivers to blow their horn......remember knowledge is power...and if you are armed with the regulations...no one can tell you they exist when they don't......

Old 01-01-2009, 08:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
Default A probable losing battle

I would be surprised if any community could legislate a law that would regulate "horn honking" for school buses. This type of ill conceived law could and would create more problems than it would solve. The issues surrounding the rights and needs of the disabled (Yes, there is a very good chance that this young man has a diagnosed disability) would supersede any HOA restrictions or local laws anyway. The ramifications of writing a law that would apply only to school buses making unwelcome noises could be challenged as discriminatory. Yet, a general law about morning noise regulation would create a nightmare for enforcement (eg. cars starting, back-up horns, emergency sirens, brief dog barking could be offensive, as well, for select members of your community)

The best that you can possibly do in this situation has already been done by you. This is one of life's nuances that come with living in a neighborhood/community ---- you cannot restrict all of those quirks and/or irritations that your neighbors display. You will probably need to resign yourself to the fact that there is little that you can do and either live with this, or move.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:05 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
......you might consider prohibiting the school bus from entering your community since you are a HOA......or my personal best would be to send a certified letter to the school bus company...stating you complaint and if it continues...then go to small claims court and sue the school bus company......you do not even need a lawyer for this....
I'm hoping this is a joke. Please tell me it's a joke.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:14 AM

807 posts, read 3,187,699 times
noise restrictions/regulations are not uncommon...they're aimed at contractors working hours mostly (that circular saw ripping plywood at 7:00 AM is really annoying or a leaf blower that early, too. Then there's the guy who's working on his hobby car and revs it for 30 minutes straight starting at 11:00 PM). They can include any noise deemed bothersome. I know they are enforced on Longboat Key.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:23 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
That is what I like about this forum. All kinds of topics, issues, and problems get brought up, and pretty good ideas come of it. I do like the first response, which seems considerate, and a real fair first approach, and that would be to go to the house and talk to the parent and student first. They probably don't realize how annoying it is to everyone in the neighborhood, and if that doesn't work, and they show they have disregard for everyone else, then a call to code enforcement would be a good idea. If he misses the bus, just cuz they didn't honk the horn for them, then they are in non-compliance, and the issue then will get resolved quickly - I believe. Everyone has good ideas here!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:35 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
I posted a link to this thread on the Jacksonville forum, as that is where I live.

My comments may be found here : //www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ml#post6787201

Old 01-01-2009, 10:54 AM

7 posts, read 29,774 times
I do not know any reason as to why this teen gets special treatment to have a driver honk his horn for him, is this done for other kids not at the bus stop? If the driver ONLY horns for him then HE is getting special treatment! If you get one or more of the other parents to request that he blow the horn for their child and allow that child to get to wait inside their own home and the driver will not then you have a case of UNFAIR treatment which is against the law for public schools to do. If it is done for one, then it should be allowed for everyone. This action of every child waiting inside would delay the school bus then the school will have to address the problem if the 2 above issures are made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida