Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 9,413 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 yr old female, I have an Associates Degree in Business Management and I want to go back to school and focus on myself, school, and work. I am from Ohio and have pretty much always lived here and I have really been wanting to make a major change in my life. My mom died when I was young and me and my siblings were disowned by my alcoholic dad and step mom when we were young teens. I am now 21 and have not talked to my dad for five years, but he lives about ten minutes from me.
I have a sister who lives 4 hours away, and a sister and brother here. I have lived on my own since I turned 18 and I usually work two jobs because I like to shop and look nice. I currently live with me boyfriend, but I got out of a five year relationship and into this one too quickly. Living with a boyfriend make things easier, but I want to focus on myself far away from here. I hate winter more than anything and nice weather is what makes me happy.
I am looking for a college I could get a Bachelors in Marketing while working full time. I have car payments and I cant really save money for the move because I have rent and other bills.
I make all my decisions by myself and I always have. Not having parents or anyone giving my guidance makes things hard, so I am simply looking for support, advice, guidance. I feel strongly about doing things myself, I am independant by nature, but this is a huge decision and I have to figure out the best way to do this. Good place to live, cheap apartment, job openings, good school? Any advice welcome, and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 08:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Florida has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, and it's NOT inexpensive to live here.

I'd suggest looking at Texas--their economy is fairly stable and there are jobs there.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 9,413 times
Thats actually a good idea, thank you! I have a cousin who lived in Austin and told me TX is great, and from what I have read, it definatly seems nice! Too bad it is sooo far from Ohio.
I will definatly look into the school more too. Thanks!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Florida has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, and it's NOT inexpensive to live here.

I'd suggest looking at Texas--their economy is fairly stable and there are jobs there.
annerk is on point as usual

I empathize with your situation, the thing is this is a bad time to make a move with no money saved up and car payments. If you have family somewhere who can help you out with a place to stay, while you save up money for rent, deposit, living expenses for a few months, then it would be wise to make that move. Also you might want to sell that car and buy one cash. Right now it doesn't sound like you need to be making car payments.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:08 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
I agree with the others. If you are poor and miserable in Ohio you will be poor and miserable here.

The warm weather will not make up for it. Not one bit.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:03 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

It's funny you mention Texas. Someone told me just this morning that Texas is up and coming as far as job opportunities.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:40 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
A friend of mine is a corporate recruiter in Houston and is having a hard time filling positions with (qualified) bodies.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:36 PM

310 posts, read 868,891 times
This is not a place for young people, especially w/out a job, to come to right now. People are leaving in droves, things are so bad right now.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times
Don't do it dude...seriously. Weather isn't everything in life, trust me. So many people flock to FL for the weather, only to find that there's a real price to pay for it.

I'd trade Florida for Ohio ANY DAY, cold and all (trust me on that). You're honestly better off where you are and stay away from South Florida, unless you want to live in a cesspool, where Spanish is required.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:27 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
This is not a place for young people, especially w/out a job, to come to right now. People are leaving in droves, things are so bad right now.
Leaving in droves.....Not hardly

Do not forget to mention a large majority of people who moved out of Florida are either already back in Florida, planning on moving back or post they cannot wait to get back to Florida.

Someone should have asked you why do you want to move to Florida?

Once you answer that then better advise can be given.

There are no jobs in Ohio either and if you are going to be poor you might as well be warm in a state that cost less to live then Ohio.

You can live much cheaper in Florida then Ohio. Fact is if I move my same house to a town of my choice in Florida I automatically save 20% from day one.

We made the HUGE mistake of leaving Florida 20+ years ago around your age and regretted it ever since.

There are ways to make money in Florida other then working at Burger King like most here post.

If I was 21 again and had no responsibilities and wanted to go to school I would be in Florida by morning!

Do your research and post why you wanted to move to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: