Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:41 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,071 times

Advertisements

We're moving to St. Pete after four unhappy years in Daytona. I went there first for a fact finding mission, and honestly, it's one of the best places I have seen in my life. Before finding it we were going back to Hawaii, a place we really can't afford right now, but we were really, really disenchanted w/ Florida after living so long in a place we didn't fit in. St. Pete is where we need to be. But there's no mountains, it is very hot and humid, etc. It's still Florida, and it's not perfect, but it will be right for what we value.

That's the real hard part. Figuring out what is negotiable for yourselves, and what is not. I lived in Portland several times, and the unfriendly people and gloomy, depressing weather drove me out. What you're searching for is difficult to get, but once you determine the sort of people you want to be around, that will make it easier. That's really the key. If you have everything on your list, but don't fit in w/ the mindset of the people you're living around, you will not be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 04:49 AM

146 posts, read 184,907 times
Have you visited the panhandle? Tallahassee has small rolling hills is a smallish city if you don't count students and government. The mountains in Georgia are within a day's drive. It does get colder in the winter and has occasionally snowed but not to much. It is hotter and more humid in the summer then Tampa bay. It is not beach oriented but pretty outdoorsy. People are diverse and fairly nice. It is a huge college town. Many r very involved with the football scene. Go Noles! It is fairly far from any other major city except Thomasville Georgia. The rest of the surrounding areas are rural and southern in nature. Good luck on your adventure

Old 10-24-2015, 06:40 AM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsandcats View Post
Where do you go when you decide Florida wasn't a good choice? I'm curious as it relates to my personal situation, and also because there are so many posts on here of people saying that Florida is not a good place to live. What is better?

My wife and I are in our late twenties and left Santa Barbara, CA in August and settled in Florida at the end of August. We live in Port Saint Lucie and both got part-time jobs locally. My wife's job pays $9 per hour and my job pays over $16 per hour. We've been contemplating living here, but it looks like we should have done our homework before coming. We kind of blindly listened to the advice of a friend who owns property in the area. The weather is comfortable, but we don't like the suburban sprawl.

It's cheap, but we like the outdoors, and we both miss the mountains and trails. We don't really care for the ocean. I always think it's funny all these people that live in California and Florida in coastal cities that never go to the beach. Well we're guilty of that as well, so we figure why pay more to live close to something we're not going to use.

Reasons for moving to Florida: Much cheaper cost of living than California where I'm from. Warm weather year-round.

Reasons we left Santa Barbara and California in general: Extremely expensive. No water.

What we're looking for: A place that's on the upswing economically and growing in population with great outdoor hiking opportunities that doesn't get too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer. Arizona is out of the picture except for maybe parts of northern AZ. A lower cost of living than southern Florida is a priority. I guess we're looking for a city of around 75,000-100,000 people with great access to nature trails. I guess I'm not too picky when it comes to temperature. I lived in Reno before, and survived the winters there.

We're pretty sure we don't want to stay in the Port Saint Lucie/Martin County area. We are considering somewhere like Saint Cloud near Orlando, but as I've said, we think Florida might not be the right place for us. Is there anywhere where minimum wage is actually enough to save a bit of money each month?

Summary of wants: Low cost of living, access to extensive nature trails, population is growing, not too many temperature extremes.

We've considered somewhere in the Seattle area. It's more expensive there, but pay is also better, so I guess it's relative. I just don't like the idea of drab skies. Maybe there are better parts of Florida that we should check out. I guess we haven't explored Orlando and northern Florida very much, but south Florida certainly doesn't impress us.
As you've discovered, minus the skills for a higher paying job Florida is a low-wage paradise. That isn't going to change with relocation within the state as you'll find it fairly similar elsewhere in that respect. As someone else suggested I would like at the Upstate area of SC around Greenville-Spartanburg which has been on an economic upswing for quite some time and NOT on the backs of low-paying service sector jobs like much of Florida. The cost of living is lower with decent one bedroom apartments averaging in the $500-$600 a month range. You're also in close proximity to tremendous outdoor recreational opportunity in the foothills/mountains just to the north. The weather is also a good match for you with a moderate four season climate that's equally distributed and minus the extremes of winter. I'd overall give the edge to Spartanburg which is the smaller of the two cities, less expensive and less "suburban"...yet thriving.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:09 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,824 times
At your age (we are just slightly older in our early 30's) I'd get the hell out of fla. it's a retirement state. Period. We are heading to NC (Charlotte) this coming summer. It's much more young, much cheaper than fla, and offers a large variety of things to do, places to go etc. mountains are an hour or so drive , beach is 2 hour drive. You're a day's drive to NYC or a days drive back to FLA. The people were so much friendlier . You hardly ever hear of people moving to the Carolinas and coming back to where they came from. I hear it over and over of people moving to either Fla or NE and leaving after a year. Asheville is suppose to be a great young hip city. My husband is in finance so Charlotte is a better fit for us and it's got huge job growth potential. You may want to check it out.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:47 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As you've discovered, minus the skills for a higher paying job Florida is a low-wage paradise. That isn't going to change with relocation within the state as you'll find it fairly similar elsewhere in that respect. As someone else suggested I would like at the Upstate area of SC around Greenville-Spartanburg which has been on an economic upswing for quite some time and NOT on the backs of low-paying service sector jobs like much of Florida. The cost of living is lower with decent one bedroom apartments averaging in the $500-$600 a month range. You're also in close proximity to tremendous outdoor recreational opportunity in the foothills/mountains just to the north. The weather is also a good match for you with a moderate four season climate that's equally distributed and minus the extremes of winter. I'd overall give the edge to Spartanburg which is the smaller of the two cities, less expensive and less "suburban"...yet thriving.

That was me. In FL, you will not find a great place like Greenville SC and what it offers. 4 seasons, low cost of living, friendliest people you'll ever meet, tons and tons of Floridians living there, a river flowing through the downtown area, good economy (2nd most engineers per capita in the US), mountains at your back door.

If I leave FL, its to go to Greenville SC or Asheville NC.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
At your age (we are just slightly older in our early 30's) I'd get the hell out of fla. it's a retirement state. Period. We are heading to NC (Charlotte) this coming summer. It's much more young, much cheaper than fla, and offers a large variety of things to do, places to go etc. mountains are an hour or so drive , beach is 2 hour drive. You're a day's drive to NYC or a days drive back to FLA. The people were so much friendlier . You hardly ever hear of people moving to the Carolinas and coming back to where they came from. I hear it over and over of people moving to either Fla or NE and leaving after a year. Asheville is suppose to be a great young hip city. My husband is in finance so Charlotte is a better fit for us and it's got huge job growth potential. You may want to check it out.

So true! All good points. Man I miss the friendliness and the scenery of Asheville. UGH!

Also, Greenville SC is a great choice. If Charlotte is too big for someone, Greenville SC is a good choice.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:36 AM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
So true! All good points. Man I miss the friendliness and the scenery of Asheville. UGH!

Also, Greenville SC is a great choice. If Charlotte is too big for someone, Greenville SC is a good choice.
Me too, love that area! I'm a huge fan of Brevard especially, great little town.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
I'm not a fan of Southern culture or Southern politics and could never see moving to the Carolinas.

I did manage to fall in love with Colorado this summer while on vacation- so much nature, bike paths and hiking trails all over the place and a lot of locals who take advantage of all the recreation opportunities at every turn. Apparently when you're talking Denver or lower elevations, the winters aren't bad- you'll get a snowstorm move through on a Tuesday in February and then it all melts by Friday because it's sunny and 65F. The ski areas are all higher up in the mountains in order to get the reliable high elevation snow.

The down side is that a lot of the state is in a boom cycle and cost of living is on the high side right now.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm not a fan of Southern culture or Southern politics and could never see moving to the Carolinas.

I did manage to fall in love with Colorado this summer while on vacation- so much nature, bike paths and hiking trails all over the place and a lot of locals who take advantage of all the recreation opportunities at every turn. Apparently when you're talking Denver or lower elevations, the winters aren't bad- you'll get a snowstorm move through on a Tuesday in February and then it all melts by Friday because it's sunny and 65F. The ski areas are all higher up in the mountains in order to get the reliable high elevation snow.

The down side is that a lot of the state is in a boom cycle and cost of living is on the high side right now.
LOL! Says someone living in the panhandle!

I love southern culture and politics, by the way.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:01 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,047,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Isn't that why people move to Florida, falling in love while on vacation?.

I know I did.

Anyone considering a Florida move needs to spend a month there in July or August. Same with places such as Colorado, visit in January first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida