Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:39 AM

237 posts, read 245,590 times

Advertisements

Not true. We've purchased multiple houses here, never had a roach problem.

The palmetto bugs (XL roaches) can get in if you leave a porch light on and aren't careful when you open your door if they're nearby, you just kill them once they do. Small roaches usually indicate an infestation and it's normally due to poor living(bad seals/pipes/cleaning conditions so when you happen upon a home like this you'll need to check seals around windows/doors, place roach traps and be extra diligent to eradicate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 09:20 AM

14,940 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know. I found one in my linen closet, and you haven't lived until you feel one on you in the middle of the night. That was the night before we called the extermination company.
Which is why, when you get up in the middle of the night, you stomp around and make a lot of noise before you turn on the light.Hopefully that will scare off the buggers and make them scamper back into their hidey holes and crevices before you see them.

I have to say I never felt any on on me at night, maybe my snoring kept them away. There was an occasion or two, though, where I went to the kitchen to get some ice for my water and surprised one or two of them cavorting around on the floor. Which is why I recommend giving them a lot of warning at your approach.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know. I found one in my linen closet, and you haven't lived
until you feel one on you in the middle of the night.
I had a SYSTEM!

Ok...you go to bed with a flashlight near...because a big light will blind you at 2 am...you
place styrofoam sheets and some aluminum foil in strategic places...
the crawling noise will wake you...shine the flashlight ...spray the Raid...go back to dreaming....
they die within a foot or so.
Don't want the smell of Raid? Too bad. Better than the alternative!
Put a sheet over your nose,then.

Haha, went to Miami for a 3 days...opened my nightstand drawer
when I got back...they nibbled on
my peppermint sugarless gum sticks! Heebee jeebees!

Old 11-16-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenoodle99 View Post
Not true. We've purchased multiple houses here, never had a roach problem.

The palmetto bugs (XL roaches) can get in if you leave a porch light on and aren't careful when you open your door if they're nearby, you just kill them once they do. Small roaches usually indicate an infestation and it's normally due to poor living(bad seals/pipes/cleaning conditions so when you happen upon a home like this you'll need to check seals around windows/doors, place roach traps and be extra diligent to eradicate it.
You can also tell they've been there even if you don't see them, from their droppings they leave behind. Those droppings look like pencil leads, maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch long. I remember seeing these long ago when I lived in the Florida Keys, in some of my clothese drawers (yuck). I saw a lot of palmetto bugs outside, but never saw one get into the apartment, so I was clueless. A coworker there enlightened me about what those little pencil lead things actually were.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I had a SYSTEM!

Ok...you go to bed with a flashlight near...because a big light will blind you at 2 am...you
place styrofoam sheets and some aluminum foil in strategic places...
the crawling noise will wake you...shine the flashlight ...spray the Raid...go back to dreaming....
they die within a foot or so.
Don't want the smell of Raid? Too bad. Better than the alternative!
Put a sheet over your nose,then.
Or snore loudly. And make a racket before you get up in the middle of the night and turn on a light.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:12 AM

17,151 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Roaches love beer and wine for whatever reason.
After you have a beer (or wine) at night, leave a little bit at the bottom of the cup.
Place it somewhere dark and let it sit overnight. By morningtime, you'll see a crapload of dead roaches in the cup. Good way to kill them.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:10 PM

237 posts, read 245,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
You can also tell they've been there even if you don't see them, from their droppings they leave behind. Those droppings look like pencil leads, maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch long. I remember seeing these long ago when I lived in the Florida Keys, in some of my clothese drawers (yuck). I saw a lot of palmetto bugs outside, but never saw one get into the apartment, so I was clueless. A coworker there enlightened me about what those little pencil lead things actually were.
Yes! It's so nasty.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:37 PM

249 posts, read 882,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I am cockroach adverse. I literally lose my appetite for a couple of hours by just seeing one. I stayed with a friend once in Tallahassee, and there were lots of cockroaches in his house. Not only the big ones with wings, but the somewhat smaller ones that don't have wings. He said they were unavoidable if you live in Florida. Is this true? Or can you keep them out?
I have never seen or had one in my house.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:16 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,986,848 times
In 7 years, I think we've seen 2 and I assume they came in on some boxes. We have an exterminator come every 6 months and then whenever needed in between and there's only been once that we asked them to come an extra time. They don't have to be a problem.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:01 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
The best way to kill roaches is to exhaust them to death. You usually on see them when you turn on the lights at night, right? So switch on the light, when you see one, immediately switch it off. Do this about 100 times quickly and they'll get so worn out, they'll keel over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida