Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 06:09 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

USF's Undergraduate Business School is actually ranked (though not highly at #129), on par with LSU and the U of Kentucky which isn't bad company. UCF doesn't appear in the rankings at all. UF is #44, U of Miami is #53, FSU is #85 and FIU is #110. Also consider availability of classes and ability to graduate on time as UCF wears the acronym U..Can't..Finish thanks to an enrollment of over 60K, while USF is half that size with 30K. In terms of the city comparisons Tampa actually feels like it's in Florida with more of a coastal vibe with it's location on Tampa Bay and 30 minute drive to beaches, which has an appeal for many.

The Complete Ranking: Best Undergraduate Business Schools 2014 - Businessweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 07:52 AM

17,197 posts, read 15,390,629 times
The rankings won't matter much, tbh, as the State Universities in FL are all pretty much comparable.
It boils down to campus preference.
I started my program at UCF, finished it at USF. I MUCH preferred USF over UCF for a lot of reasons: UCF, for one, was WAY too crowded. Need to speak with an adviser? Be prepared to wait 3 hours. USF, while still a very large school, did not have that overcrowded, Times Square-ish feeling.
I also found the campus to be in a much more accessible location.

As far as graduating from USF over UCF or vice-versa, there didn't seem to be any advantages from one over the other for me. USF did have stricter entrance requirements for my program, however.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:11 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
I left USF for a smaller school up in the NW (back in the 80s).....didn't like the student to teacher ratio.....some classes seemed to have 300 students (Calculus course for instance). Oh yeah, and the instructor was Chinese who I could barely understand. Not enjoyable. So much is involved with selecting a school, isn't there?

Old 12-14-2015, 08:20 AM

17,197 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I left USF for a smaller school up in the NW (back in the 80s).....didn't like the student to teacher ratio.....some classes seemed to have 300 students (Calculus course for instance). Oh yeah, and the instructor was Chinese who I could barely understand. Not enjoyable. So much is involved with selecting a school, isn't there?
I took Calc II at USF and it was in a class of maybe 30 students. When I took Complex Analysis (A post-Diff Eq course) we were maybe 20.

Both USF and UCF seemed to enjoy hiring foreigners who could barely speak English as professors. "Yo SEE-lek DI Noht wheat gherrroh vult!" translated to "you select the node with zero volt.) Gah!!! The horror. I skipped many lectures due to this, and preferred to just learn through the powerpoint files uploaded on BlackBoard.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:22 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I took calculus at USF, and there was 30-40 students. The teacher was fron India though and was very hard to understand.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 3,843 times
Thanks for all the advice guys...I'm not fully set on Econ as the degree, in fact now more leaning towards either Business Management or Accounting (most likely this if I can be convinced). As for USF or UCF, kind of torn. I know a lot more people in Orlando and I'm familiar with the town-I also liked how busy downtown Orlando got with 20 yr olds (Church st, the bars, etc). Not sure how St Pete/Tampa compares in the nightlife sector, but it does seem that the universities are similar, with USF being smaller.

Any accounting or finance majors care to shed some light?

Old 12-14-2015, 11:08 AM

Good luck. Tough decision. I started with Finance/Accouting aspirations decades ago and ended up in health care....got to go where the jobs are in demand, there's some job security, and your professional interests will take you. You want to be challenged, constantly learning, leave the workday feeling fulfilled and appreciated.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:22 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
They're both very comparable schools.
I find USF to be an ugly campus, however located in a better city

UCF might be ranked ever so slightly better. Tough call., Either school I don think u can go wrong with.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:30 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by posmo View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys...I'm not fully set on Econ as the degree, in fact now more leaning towards either Business Management or Accounting (most likely this if I can be convinced). As for USF or UCF, kind of torn. I know a lot more people in Orlando and I'm familiar with the town-I also liked how busy downtown Orlando got with 20 yr olds (Church st, the bars, etc). Not sure how St Pete/Tampa compares in the nightlife sector, but it does seem that the universities are similar, with USF being smaller.

Any accounting or finance majors care to shed some light?
I'm 28 years old and my girl friend is 22 years old and she will be graduating this week actually. I've been pretty successful career wise in life so far, so I've been acting as her mentor in many ways. She originally was a management major and I convinced her to change to either accounting or finance. I have way too many friends who chose management and it's not really a good major for finding a job after graduation unless you want to work retail or at a brick and mortar store, which often don't pay much or include benefits.

Accounting is the best business major for those worried about finding an actual career that pays you a salary and benefits. It's an actual trade that is in pretty high demand. I have a lot of accounting major friends and 100% of them landed accounting jobs with full benefits and salary at a major firm. You can also get your CPA soon after getting your job, which will increase your salary potential by a good amount. Eventually, you could even open your own firm, but most people I know choose to continue working up the ladder in one of the big four firms.

Finance will require you to have good problem solving skills. Many people who go down this route will start off as a financial analyst and then work their way to other positions such as a consultant. You could also go toward a financial planning path and eventually becoming a wealth manager. If you go to Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Deloitte etc and you check out their internship opportunities, you'll notice they want someone with a finance major as a requirement (or an accounting major for those jobs).

Just go on various big firm websites and you'll notice economics, management, marketing etc are some of the worst majors for business students.

As far as the cities go, I would go with UCF because you already know people there and are familiar with the school. A HUGE part on getting a good opportunity whether it's an internship or job is networking. One of my GF's friends literally studies 10am to 2am during exam weeks and she gets straight As. However, their mutual friend just landed a really great job with a big financial firm and he hasn't even graduated yet. How did this happen? It was because he is very good in social scenes and attends a lot of corporate mixers and events. He ended up having a conversation with someone pretty high up and that is how he was offered the position. My point is networking is one of the most important things for people in business.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:34 AM

helpful/practical advice - couldn't rep you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida