Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:18 PM

497 posts, read 1,567,033 times

Advertisements

While posting my displeasure with the weather and politics of Maine and my desire to move to Florida I was told by someone that I would not find a place to live anywhere in the entire state of Florida that would have low crime for less than $75,000 a year. What he is saying is I would need to make at least $75,000 a year to make it anywhere in Florida if I wanted a safe neighborhood. Now I am quite sure that this is a load of Maine moose manure but I wanted to get people's opinion who actually live in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 08:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
While posting my displeasure with the weather and politics of Maine and my desire to move to Florida I was told by someone that I would not find a place to live anywhere in the entire state of Florida that would have low crime for less than $75,000 a year. What he is saying is I would need to make at least $75,000 a year to make it anywhere in Florida if I wanted a safe neighborhood. Now I am quite sure that this is a load of Maine moose manure but I wanted to get people's opinion who actually live in Florida.
You can make 50 thousand dollars a year and live in a safe neighborhood this far south (I'm outside of Ft. Lauderdale). If you are single or a childless couple and can live in a safe neighborhood on a 50k salary this far south, you can definitely do it in other parts of the state. You can still get a nice house in some parts of the state in the low 200s or upper 100s.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Northwest Florida can easily accommodate this....

Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
Quote:
It's Maine Moose Manure. You can live in MANY places in FL on less than 75K per year. It all depends on what you like (condo, house etc.) There are plenty of safe neighborhoods where an income below 75K will provide you a very nice place to live, and a safe neighborhood.
Orange Park, FL (part of Jacksonville)
St. Aug, FL (part of Jax area)
Most of Jacksonville proper (condo mainly, but small house is possible in areas)
North Port, FL (part of Sarasota County

I'm sure there are areas in Gainseville, Pensacola, Vero Beach, Daytona Beach/Sanford, DeLand etc.

Whomever stated that to you was nuts.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:32 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
Quote:
Also...if that were true, I guess there would be no cops, teachers etc. living in the state except in the hood!?!?!?!

Old 02-09-2008, 08:41 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,682 times
Umm......it may not be entirely an exaggeration.

In my area of SWFL, there are now some houses in the 200k range, but some of these areas they are in are changing into rental communities. So it wouldn't be too surprising to find a meth lab next to your new 200k house.

If you can get a home in a gated community for around 200k, you're doing good and in some areas, gated communities are the only way to go.

If you are looking for a low crime area, I'd suggest north Florida. Although I don't live in that area, I understand it's more "affordable" and "safer" than other areas of Florida.

LewLew, Sarasota County was trying to build suitable "affordable" housing for nurses, teachers and cops but plans have been put on hold. Most of the nurses and teachers who moved here in the last 6 years rent and can't afford to own a home.

BTW OP, I would never leave such a beautiful state such as Maine. Maine is truly beautiful!

Last edited by Carbondated; 02-09-2008 at 08:53 PM..

Old 02-09-2008, 08:51 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I am in west central Florida. You can't buy a house here for anything near $75K. Unless you are a doctor or lawyer you might be able to find a job for $35K, but jobs are very hard to come by.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 PM

497 posts, read 1,567,033 times
Thanks for the replies. I am most likely going to be looking for a rental. Either a community or an apartment on it's own but obviously I would want to be in a safe neighborhood. I am just guessing but the type of work I would be doing I would probably be making around $25,000-$30,000 a year. Although that might be a tad higher if I get a job in law enforcement.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,682 times
Pete, if your income is around 25k-30k a year, you would probably be able to afford a $500-600 a month apartment. You would have to get some roomates for sure. I'd definately rethink moving to Florida from Maine.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:15 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Moose manure is a good way to categorize it. Cmon down and enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida