Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 08:46 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
OMG! I just googled black racers to see what they look like - I am seriously having chest pain. I was hoping they were those tiny little snakes that almost look like worms. I would NOT be happy to see these in my yard. What part of Florida do you live in?
Found this in my yard while gardening over the weekend.

And yes, it got defensive (wide-open mouth with a very white interior, hissing, raised tail vibrating.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 08:55 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Another way to keep snakes at bay is an outdoor cat, also help with rodents.

With all this information on critters dont be too scared. Its not like you will be overrun with snakes
Just note that in areas where the coyotes have become common, being outdoors at night in not necessarily great for the cat in question.

Yes, it can be rather Wild Kingdom down here.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:59 AM

201 posts, read 195,129 times
Forenzavue,
I moved to FL and there is a lot of unique things about the area but you'll want to research more- assuming your only concern is roaches and not jobs/ weather/crime/ sinkholes/ and other stuff.

Strangely in NC the roaches were off the hook, the only saving grace was they were easily killed. BUT I have (knock on wood) not had a roach prob at all at either the slumlord house I lived in for 1 1/2 months, or the house I live in now. That surprised me, but FL is a place of contradictions at times.

Bugwise- the surprise for me was that for the first time every my small dogs who spend little time on the grass developed their first and uncontrollable case of fleas that did not respond to anything (and yes I had them on frontline prior to this). I had to take them to the vet who gave them a prescription and told me I would also have to chemically treat my lawn which I am so against.

However like other posters have mentioned there are many other animals in the area, and my experience has been that they seem to have no fear of people. I had a snake keep me at bay by parking in front of my front door and strangely refusing to move (someone killed him but sadly he was harmless I found out later). There are frogs / lizards (small, not threatning) that show up in my mailbox every day, why I don't know. Often lizards and frogs will hop into your house and refuse to leave (paralyzed by fear or just dumb?) until you physically move them. Other animals are really neat, like the birds (pelicans, spoonbills etc).

Florida is very unique in so many ways but it's not for everyone and so I am moving very shortly! I'd heavily encourage you to do more research, before committing.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:07 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Found this in my yard while gardening over the weekend.

And yes, it got defensive (wide-open mouth with a very white interior, hissing, raised tail vibrating.)

Run Kitty Run! Yuck!! Haaaaaaaaaaa

Old 03-31-2016, 02:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
You would not believe how proud the late great Five cat was when he cornered a small garter snake in our screened porch. Even by cat standards, he was impressively smug about it.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:08 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You would not believe how proud the late great Five cat was when he cornered a small garter snake in our screened porch. Even by cat standards, he was impressively smug about it.
Our old lady calico used to bring home dead snakes all the time, left on the front porch as a surprise

Old 04-01-2016, 07:00 PM

108 posts, read 104,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Forget roaches. How are you with snakes? My yard is literally crawling with black racers this time of year. Harmless but it freaks some people out.
Non-poisonous snakes do not scare me at all.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:54 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
Non-poisonous snakes do not scare me at all.
But, roaches?

Old 04-03-2016, 11:25 AM

108 posts, read 104,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
But, roaches?

Yes. German cockroaches scare me to death...not the palmetto bugs/giant roaches, though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: