Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 07:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
As my status shows, I live in Northridge/Porter Ranch. Smog does vary by location. There used to be many stage 2 and 3 smog alerts 40 years, much less now. It used to be hard to breathe when I biked back then. Has not happened in many years.
Yeah I lived in Pasadena as a kid and one day the air was so full of smog I could not see past the middle of the block I lived on. Lived just before the mountains started so things really backed up bad there. Also lived in the Valley, North Hollywood, and the air was not good. It has improved, but is still not good, just not as bad.

Kinda liked Northridge in the late 60's and early 70's. The Valley was still growing West then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 09:19 PM

545 posts, read 513,785 times
I lived in FL for the first 25 years of my life and in CA for the next 25.

CA is clearly the nicer state in terms of climate and the natural beauty. FL clearly has the better beaches.

Outdoor activities are excellent in both

FL feels newer and a little more alive. Especially with the stars out at night and all the critters. Los Angeles is a hustle bustle city but does not have that festive quality you find in FL. So nightlife in FL is a lot more fun.

Work opportunities in CA simply crush those in FL. There is not even a comparison. If one morning you wake up and say "I am going to make a million bucks," you can do that in CA. Florida? Not so much. Just doesn't have that kind of dynamic, entrepreneurial economy and money floating around.

So I think the bottom line is where your goals fall along the work/play spectrum.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:27 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post

Work opportunities in CA simply crush those in FL. There is not even a comparison. If one morning you wake up and say "I am going to make a million bucks," you can do that in CA. Florida? Not so much. Just doesn't have that kind of dynamic, entrepreneurial economy and money floating around.

So I think the bottom line is where your goals fall along the work/play spectrum.
So does cost of living. Remember the median price for an average 3/2 house in SF is nearly 1.5 mill

Old 09-02-2019, 10:30 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Smog does vary by area. Very little of it where I live. See photo... nice blue skies. The "very bad" smog in California is usually blown out of proportion.

Yes, humidity is more but still WAY less than Florida. I just got back from a bike ride, 87 degrees F, and I wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Beaches such as Santa Monica are crowded, yes, but there are plenty more with much less people, like Leo Carrillo. As for the water, I still see quite a few people in the ocean. It's a lot colder in central California.

I am a native Californian (58 years).

I really don't know how Californians can complain about their "humidity problems". If you think you have humidity problems, come live in Florida from May to September! Also, make sure you totally forget about doing anything outdoors, lest you get eaten alive by every biting insect known to man (unlike in California).

Old 09-02-2019, 11:40 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I really don't know how Californians can complain about their "humidity problems". If you think you have humidity problems, come live in Florida from May to September! Also, make sure you totally forget about doing anything outdoors, lest you get eaten alive by every biting insect known to man (unlike in California).
I have been bitten twice in over 1 year. Bugs may be a major problem in So FL, but not the whole State.

I git bitten quite a few times growing up in CA.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I have been bitten twice in over 1 year. Bugs may be a major problem in So FL, but not the whole State.

I git bitten quite a few times growing up in CA.
When I walk out of my house in Tampa, there is a swarm of mosquitoes ready to pounce right outside my door, from April to October. Same thing happened at my house in Tallahassee. Miami. Jacksonville. I guess your house must be the only house that mosquitoes avoid.

On the other hand, I have never seen a mosquito in California. The biting insects in California are tiny in number compared to the swarms in Florida, which has vast amounts of breeding grounds for them (unlike California).

Old 09-03-2019, 09:55 AM

469 posts, read 467,079 times
I think mosquitoes are a problem in Florida in some counties but where I live in south Sarasota county they aren't a problem. I walk at daybreak every morning and rarely see a mosquito. It has to be because our county does a good job spraying. Other counties probably don't spray as often. Mosquitoes were far worse in Indiana. It surprised me when I moved here because I was expecting it to be far worse here.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:00 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I think mosquitoes are a problem in Florida in some counties but where I live in south Sarasota county they aren't a problem. I walk at daybreak every morning and rarely see a mosquito. It has to be because our county does a good job spraying. Other counties probably don't spray as often. Mosquitoes were far worse in Indiana. It surprised me when I moved here because I was expecting it to be far worse here.
I agree. I am in Manatee, and they must do a good job here as well, because I have very little problem with mosquitoes. When I lived in the country in Pasco, however, they were horrendous. You just could not be outside a good part of the year.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:41 AM

469 posts, read 467,079 times
I don't think I'd want to live in Florida if they didn't have air conditioning or bug spray. 7 days without power during Irma convinced me of that. I do think that if we had California's weather our population would double and nobody would ever leave. Our heat and humidity drive people away in summer and it makes driving and shopping a lot nicer. I actually like summer here in Florida for that very reason. In my view, the worst thing about our area is the overwhelming influx of new people. We are overbuilding for our infrastructure.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I don't think I'd want to live in Florida if they didn't have air conditioning or bug spray. 7 days without power during Irma convinced me of that. I do think that if we had California's weather our population would double and nobody would ever leave. Our heat and humidity drive people away in summer and it makes driving and shopping a lot nicer. I actually like summer here in Florida for that very reason. In my view, the worst thing about our area is the overwhelming influx of new people. We are overbuilding for our infrastructure.
Very excellent points!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida