Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 08:17 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksweep View Post
I think thats where I don't fit in. I want to live in a neighborhood where people like different things and different goals. Its what makes neighborhoods unique. When you drive down a street looking for a house that's for sale, some people have magnolias, some pot of gold, some have white fences and some don't. Ive never just looked around and seen a house painted hot pink b/c most people are reasonable.

They say HOAs keep values up. I would have thought houses in neighborhoods that all have the same mailboxes, same yards, same window shades, same trees, same flowers would actually bring them down. Doesn't neighborhood character come into account when appraising a home?

I am in wesley chapel and we recently had brand new subdivisions finish up. Theres a nice brick fountain entrance to one of them but if you slightly look beyond the entrance you'll see that the houses look no different than the all the other subdivisions. White or gray stucco plastered on thick, ugly as sin in my opinion, white mailboxes(same height, size, trim, etc) same size yard, same SMALL driveways. In other words, nothing special. ..and people still flock to buy there.

Pretty soon, with no intervention, it will be literally impossible to buy any nice home without living in an HOA, effectively semi-forcing people to be a part of one - that is , if home ownership is still a staple of the american dream. Not everyone can live out in the sticks, build their own home on vacant land and renovate 50 year old homes in their pastime.

Some people actually want to have their own pools and decks in their own back yard for their own personal private use instead of sharing it with everyone else - i know its shocking right?
Did you vote for Amendment 1?

Shame on you, then.

You voted against your own interests. Like 75% of the rest of the gullible state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
can I plant rose bushes if i want? plant a garden? my wife loves those pots of gold and we like to grow fresh herbs and veggies in the front b/c that provides the best amount of sunlight. can I build my own pool in the back? put solar panels on my metal roof(i think HOA's now have allow solar panels) but maybe not metal roof. does the house have to be stucco? - can i put brick layering over top of it?

I wouldn't think this would fall under the 'unrealistic expectations'. this is what normal people do (or want to do) when they 'own' their own house. - but almost all of these would be denied and forbidden if i lived in an HOA.
NO it's not realistic "expectation" to be doing front yard gardening. There are ordinances all over the country and even in CANADA against it.

So buy a house with Eastern/Southern exposure in your fenced yard. We really DO NOT want to see people's overgrown mess in the front.

And trust me. That WILL happen. Google it.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...able-gardening

Hell I don't even remember people I knew or lived in my neighborhood in OTHER non HOAs in other STATES wanting to plant their GARDENS in the FRONT LAWN, dude. LOL. But they do exist.

Who's to say what your definition of "garden" is over someone else's.

Besides, veggie gardening is pretty much a PITA in the warm part of Florida IME. Not to mention the wildlife. We have wild boars in my neighborhood, for starters. Have you actually done it or is this hypothetical gardening?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-13-2016 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 08:41 AM

OP this is funny there's a house for sale on the street with the 5 cars in the driveway. I'm DM you the listing we're not allowed to post here.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:42 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
There are two issues here. What people WANT (in new housing) and what the state governments ALLOW.

Clearly the OP LIKES the HOA "look" but wants to change it LOL.

I am the OP and nope, I never said that LOLOLOLOLOL

Old 04-13-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I am the OP and nope, I never said that LOLOLOLOLOL
The way you worded it, I'm getting you like the HOA neighborhoods without the rules and if they weren't so "close together".

Otherwise you wouldn't have looked at the listings, right?

Old 04-13-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
There are two issues here. What people WANT (in new housing) and what the state governments ALLOW.

My county is rich in citrus and cattle ranches/farms. And thousands of acres of wooded open land. When they sell it, it's sold like that. But with GROWTH RESTRICTIONS. You just can't get permits to build anything you want on there.

One of my hot buttons. I think it's outrageous.
I am with you on that......is is outrageous!!

Old 04-13-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
OP this is funny there's a house for sale on the street with the 5 cars in the driveway. I'm DM you the listing we're not allowed to post here.
okey dokey my dear

Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
The way you worded it, I'm getting you like the HOA neighborhoods without the rules and if they weren't so "close together".

Otherwise you wouldn't have looked at the listings, right?
It's hard to convey exactly what I mean without having a real conversation LOL
Since I have been looking at listings online the last couple of years I started to realize that allot of the houses I liked where in HOA areas. Then I started looking at what each one charged yearly for the HOA and it varies of course. However, just looking at the house online and seeing the fees does not give you the Big Picture. There is so much more too it.
1. What are the rules for this particular HOA
2. Any deed restrictions?
3. How close are the neighbors?
etc etc etc.
I guess I will find out when we actually get a realtor one of these days and actively look for a house in a neighborhood we like.
I did notice that the houses that are least expensive, larger, more land and low HOAs (or NO HOAs) are usually in the real rural areas. Plus they are really far from a nice beach.
It's all a matter of what we really need and what we are willing to give up. HA!
I do know we need at least 3 bedrooms, at least 2 bathrooms, 3 to 4 car garage, enclosed pool out back and has a Spanish type style (Arched windows, tile floors )
Budget is 300,000 to 500,000. My spouse will balk at an HOA of more than 100 per month.......

Old 04-13-2016, 10:16 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Timely article about homeowner/HOA conflict in:

What happens when resident vs. homeowners association? Ave Maria homeowner finds out

Specifically:

"The broad violation Ospina was accused of violating could be found in any number of HOA agreements in the area: 'No owner shall make or permit any loud and/or disturbing noises of a continuing nature, nor any practice that is the source of annoyance to residents.'"

The resolution seems good (after the threat of a lawsuit), but that type of contract language is so broad that if you don't "fit in" with your HOA neighbors, you might be the target of harassment from the HOA management company.

Maybe that's another benchmark. If an HOA has enough restrictions that it needs a management company, it might be too restrictive.

Might not be practical in many areas, but a voluntary HOA seems like the best compromise.
Wow, those rules are too open to interpretation by said residents who might find any noise, or activity on the part of neighbors they don't like or disapprove, offensive. Who's to determine what is offensive in those cases?

I'm perfectly happy without any HOAs out here in G-d's country where we have acreage, waterfront property that is not crowded,and the neighbors are considerate of each other. And where it is not a major offense to have cars parked in the driveway.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
Quote:
thats seems reasonable - what HOA is this?
Check out Rotonda West. There are several divisions of Rotonda with varying degrees of density and regulations. We're in the Heights outside the "wheel" on the northwest corner. There are less houses out here and of course the streets are more lightly traveled. Some of the streets in the south end have no houses so it's a great place to bicycle.
There's no community pool or clubhouse and that's OK with me. I get to Englewood beach in 15 min or at the marina on the intracoastal waterway in 10. Banks, grocery stores and Home Depot are 5 min away on McCall Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida