Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 01:39 PM

499 posts, read 586,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Sounds like Stepford to me. To each his own, however.
Haha! Now THAT is funny, because I literally just moved out of Stepford to relocate to Florida. (Ira Levin, aothor of The Stepford Wives based the town of Stepford on Wilton, Connecticut, where he lived in the 1960s. Wilton is a "step" from Stamford, a major city lying 15 miles away - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stepford_Wives ).

Not sure why an impeccably clean, well-maintained, private, safe HOA community full of activities and perks "sounds like" a group of docile submissive robot housewives to you... but whatever floats your boat

What it reminds me of is the type of neighborhood that I grew up in circa late '70s - early '80s New England - where people took pride in their homes, respected their neighbors, and desired a sense of community. Just because the HOA offers all of the things I mentioned in my earlier post doesn't mean you are forced to participate - but it is wonderful to have options. It's not a preferred lifestyle for everyone, but I would think any normal person can see why its appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 01:44 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Haha! Now THAT is funny, because I literally just moved out of Stepford to relocate to Florida. (Ira Levin, aothor of The Stepford Wives based the town of Stepford on Wilton, Connecticut, where he lived in the 1960s. Wilton is a "step" from Stamford, a major city lying 15 miles away - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stepford_Wives ).

Not sure why an impeccably clean, well-maintained, private, safe HOA community full of activities and perks "sounds like" a group of docile submissive robot housewives to you... but whatever floats your boat

What it reminds me of is the type of neighborhood that I grew up in circa late '70s - early '80s New England - where people took pride in their homes, respected their neighbors, and desired a sense of community. Just because the HOA offers all of the things I mentioned in my earlier post doesn't mean you are forced to participate - but it is wonderful to have options. It's not a preferred lifestyle for everyone, but I would think any normal person can see why its appealing.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Wesley Chapel.

No character. Boring.

\

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-15-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Wesley Chapel.

No character. Boring.
I love the arched windows of homes like that! Beautiful!!!

Old 04-15-2016, 02:02 PM

499 posts, read 586,145 times
Quote:
Wesley Chapel.

No character. Boring.

OMG!!! Absolutely DROP DEAD GORGEOUS and sooooo much better than these:

Old 04-15-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I love the arched windows of homes like that! Beautiful!!!
Yeah!

Most of them are in the $500 range but I was trying to match the Mississippi house.

People forget to compare regions and prices.

That house was in the middle of the state NOT in a tourist area on the GULF.

A couple of these were in the 300s I think.

You'll find something. It's fun looking even OUT of your price range so you can get an idea of MUST HAVE versus WANT.

Also go INSIDE different houses even if you think they're not great - or see the pictures. I worked for a defense attorney who lived in a VERY modest little neighborhood in Jax. Gorgeous trees but all little ranches and older.

OMG he renovated that thing like Architectural Digest. He even kind of HID an addition on. BUT he wanted to blend in to the neighborhood because of his job. Now THAT guy had a TON of security LOL.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:18 PM

Speaking of Jacksonville.

The historic homes are AMAZING. Google it.

Here's one that was saved from demolition. Jax people are trying to save buildings.

OMG A 4-PLEX CONDO HOA! THE HORROR!

OPTIONALLY:

Old 04-16-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Speaking of Jacksonville.

The historic homes are AMAZING. Google it.

Here's one that was saved from demolition. Jax people are trying to save buildings.

OMG A 4-PLEX CONDO HOA! THE HORROR!

OPTIONALLY:

Wow! So cool!!

Old 04-16-2016, 04:10 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post

Whatever floats YOUR boat, as I said. The restrictions inherent in most HOAs definitely don't float mine. I maintain that people can take pride in their homes, respect their neighborhoods and form a sense of community with their neighbors without having their choices in house paint colors, landscaping or decorative styles judged and approved by a Board of Directors, so these can match those of the neighbors and everyone fits in. I don't think it especially contributes to one's own sense of well-being as a homeowner to have to worry about cars overnight in one's driveway, or not getting to the lawn maintenance or landscape trimming soon enough to ensure it's all uniformly clipped at all times, the house painted soon enough, or that the blinds visible in the windows or the interior paint colors not being on the Board's approval list, etc, knowing that infractions may incur the wrath of the HOA and fines levied. Unless of course one achieves one's sense of well being by knowing he's in complete compliance with HOA rules and has the approval of his like-minded neighbors for looking just like them.

Some folks go for this, obviously you do. I might even think the houses in such a development are nice looking, but IMO there is a uniformity ( even with 3-4 different styles as you see in most developments) that I have always found off-putting. But we have never even seriously considered moving into an area with an HOA, actually, that was always on our list of criteria when we were househunting, NO HOA. We bought land and built on it instead, where we enjoy that pride in ownership, nice neighbors, and a sense of privacy. And no one telling us what to plant or what color to paint our house.

Different strokes for different folks. If you are happy with your homestead there ruled by your HOA then good for you. You shouldn't need to fret over whether "normal", or otherwise people find it attractive. You do, and that should be all that counts.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:27 PM

76 posts, read 91,208 times
Quote:
Wesley Chapel.

No character. Boring.

\

yeah I guess i just don't like the look of stucco. i don't know if its b/c i am just not used to it or i simply don't like it. I appreciate spanish architecture/style but its just not for me. I didn't say or wasn't trying to say it was bad - i just noticed that all houses are like this - there isn't a break from it anywhere, especially any new subdivisions going up.

also its hard to tell how much actual yard those houses have. pools are nice but when its your entire back yard...?

the next thing i noticed about most houses for sale(and for rent - including our rental) that I've never been used to and don't like is the back sliding doors with those blinds that you twist to open and close. Not only do they collect a lot of dust and flimsy, but if you want try to open them if just one blind is out of position you have to fix it. Also bugs can get through those sliding doors fairly easily. We had frogs coming in the house at one point before we had them come out and 're-position' the height of them. its just a pain. also they can easily become a privacy issue if you don't have a back yard. I just want big windows with regular blinds and a door to go in and out of. again, this might be just part of a spanish floridian home, i am not sure. I just noticed most every house has that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida