Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 04:44 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
sorry, somehow my quote of another posters messed up there - not sure how you got in there.....too late to fix, edit, delete.....apologies again....I'm sure it was something I did wrong.
Not a problem BucFan. Things happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 05:51 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I can afford a gated community - but don't want it - remember the truly wealthy do not like to waste money - we don't golf, play cards in a clubhouse, or want to swim in a big pool with many people - Why pay a huge HOA to have all that?

And yes, I have two big scary looking dogs - the delivery guys, pool guys, etc. eyes bug out when they see me walk my dogs down the street - I am also armed - anyone that tries to break into my home is not getting out alive. I sleep very well at night.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:04 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I was a competitive swimmer for 15 years and still like to do some laps. So I need at least a proper 25 yard pool with lane lines (backstroke flags a big plus in outdoor situations) to feel like it's a useful pool for most of my interests. Kind of surprising how many private community pools don't meet minimum competition spec for even 2-3 lanes. At least there's typically the YMCA membership option for proper size, or, even better, a nice totally public 50 meter pool set to long course somewhere.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:33 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
remember the truly wealthy do not like to waste money - we don't golf, play cards in a clubhouse, or want to swim in a big pool.
Speak for yourself. Truly wealthy people don't golf? Lol.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:37 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
this thread has morphed from the topic of gated community to card playing, golf and swimming pools....I think some people are thinking retirement community or something.....many "gated" communities are nothing more than a electronic gate activated with a remote control device - keeping the riff raff from scoping out your home and keeping unnecessary street traffic down to the people who belong in the neighborhood.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:04 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
We have looked at numerous gated communities in our house hunting odyssey. There are 2 types, manned and unmanned. Unmanned are useless since every pizza delivery person has the code plus its easy to follow another car through in most. Manned are more desirable but there are many grades of guards ranging from a 90 year old man who would blow over in a stiff breeze to ex police or military who are very professional. It depends how much the community pays. If they pay almost minimum you get a disinterested person who goes through the motions if they pay more you get a real guard. Its not the most exciting job in the world. Some communities are also patrolled which is the best.
Apparently your crack research team failed to discover that the "pizza delivery guy" doesn't necessarily have the CODES which are RESIDENT SPECIFIC but has to CALL the pizza recipient on the access panel to gain access.

And your crack research team failed to learn that some HOAs have a remote or a barcode scanner vehicle sticker given out to the residents for access. Or that CONTRACTORS often have a contractor code, only good for certain hours, not the residents' personal codes.

Yes, it's a matter of what level the residents in the HOA vote to fund. No shade, but...duh. It can be a hefty expense.

And yes, any idiot resident can give their code out to anyone for communities which still operate on codes.

It's not just for "security". It can be to keep excessive traffic out, keep people from barging in on lifestyle amenities or tracking which units break parking rules or leaving inoperative vehicles all over the place, using our trash dumpsters for their personal garbage (yes really) and other annoying behaviors. Like people trying to use OUR boat launch on the downlow.

As a dog walker, I can tell you that the HOA residents in my area of FL take the gate situation seriously and don't simply ignore tailgaters, for example. I've seen people block the tailgater and I myself have REFUSED to let someone in when they asked me to because I don't want the responsibility of it.

I also refuse to service residents who want me to muck around with calling them to get in. You either give me the code AND maintenance's phone number in the case of a broken gate....or no service.

In my HOA we pay for a 24/7 guarded gate and it's well worth the money considering what people attempt to do even WITH the guard LOL. And no, we hire a security FIRM with insured, bonded and licensed guards as is the trend in my area AND Jacksonville where I also lived and worked as a pet sitter/dog walker. In fact, the trend is to hire the same grade of guard as the concierges in some buildings as well. They have to be tested and certified to get that title.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 05-19-2016 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida