Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 10,212 times

Advertisements

This was helpful to read. No, I am not on the wealthier side. I also like going to a very progressive reformed service in NY on the High Holy Days. I pay what I can - I pay $20 if that's all I want to pay. Mostly English, meditation, singing, poetry readings. Many are conducted in churches or metaphysical centers. So that is what I would be looking for. I also want to be around a lot of single Babyboomers as I will be alone.
I see mention of Sarasota and Naples in this forum. What about Fort Meyers? Or St. Petersburg?
Any opinions? Any opinions of all those areas mentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 02:51 PM

Default best place on West Coast for Jewish New Yorkers

I am NOT a wealthy NY Jew. I am reading Sarasota over Naples.
What about Fort Meyers or St Petersburg? I am not wealthy. I would like to go where there are a lot of single babyboomers. I also cannot afford the east coast. I do not care about politics. I go to services in NY and very progressive and ultra-reformed. Usually in a church or metaphysical center. Mostly english, singing, meditation, poetry reading. I pay what I want - usually $20. Of all those mentioned what seems the best.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:43 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Sarasota. Definitely. Maybe South Tampa, but definitely Sarasota. Or even Bradenton.

BTW, it's Ft. Myers. Without the "e".

Old 09-22-2017, 06:05 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
One perspective from a goy who lived in NY for many years and now in SW Florida...being Jewish in NY is as much culture as it is religion. You won’t be able to replicate the cultural aspect of NY Judaism on the Gulf side at all in my opinion. Should be no problem finding a reformed temple in any sizable city.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:17 PM

Does anybody know where there is a Progressive reform congregation you can pay what you want and not have to join and pay annual dues - mostly English

Old 09-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Adding to above post - I am not one of the wealthy Jews. I would look on east or west coast for this type of congregation

Old 09-22-2017, 02:54 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Temple Sinai - The Home for Progressive Reform Judaism in Sarasota, Florida

Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie44mv View Post
This was helpful to read. No, I am not on the wealthier side. I also like going to a very progressive reformed service in NY on the High Holy Days. I pay what I can - I pay $20 if that's all I want to pay. Mostly English, meditation, singing, poetry readings. Many are conducted in churches or metaphysical centers. So that is what I would be looking for. I also want to be around a lot of single Babyboomers as I will be alone.
I see mention of Sarasota and Naples in this forum. What about Fort Meyers? Or St. Petersburg?
Any opinions? Any opinions of all those areas mentioned?
You can find detailed information about those cities right on this site:

//www.city-data.com/city/Sarasota-Florida.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Naples-Florida.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-Florida.html

Also see Trip Advisor; -local advice below...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

Old 09-24-2017, 03:09 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
We are jewish and just moved to the Tampa Area..We dont' practice but for us we didn't care about being or living amoungst Jews...we are from Brooklyn NY and living in NJ we do live in an wealthy area and we also lived in Boca Raton which was prodominantly jewish as well as extremely wealthy area we decided that isnt what we were looking for.Now I am looking for somewhere to buy a Kosher Chicken to make Chicken Soup that has been a challange....Anyhow from what Iunderdstand Clearwater has a jewish population....good

Old 09-24-2017, 03:56 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
We are jewish and just moved to the Tampa Area..We dont' practice but for us we didn't care about being or living amoungst Jews...we are from Brooklyn NY and living in NJ we do live in an wealthy area and we also lived in Boca Raton which was prodominantly jewish as well as extremely wealthy area we decided that isnt what we were looking for.Now I am looking for somewhere to buy a Kosher Chicken to make Chicken Soup that has been a challange....Anyhow from what Iunderdstand Clearwater has a jewish population....good
Is it possible to order Kosher chicken on line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida