Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,547 times

Advertisements

I applied for food stamps prior and was receiving 356. a month my cost of living increased from 500 a month to 720 an month. i make 1177 on average a month with 675 in child support. bills are as followed. 750 a moth rent 250 elect water, phone 70 auto ins 79, i own a 2001 pt cruiser. i have myself and two children age 10 and 12. my benefits were decrease fo 156 a month, the kids with medical coverage and me no medical this does not seem right. does anyone know if this sound correct ? i looked up the guidlines and i am confused..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 03:43 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Did you move from one state or county to another? I don't think they count car insurance or your phone bill. Just your rent, electric, utilities and medical bills. Medical has nothing to do with food stamps, medical is Medicaid as fas as I know. Ask them, maybe you forgot to add a kid or you forgot to list the child support before.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:54 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,465 times
Give them a call or go by there and get an explanation. Maybe there is a mistake.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:59 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,101 times
Why don't you relinquish the food stamps & have the child's other parent help out instead of the taxpayer ?

Old 10-18-2016, 07:42 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Why don't you relinquish the food stamps & have the child's other parent help out instead of the taxpayer ?
Easier said than done.

You know how many deadbeat dads there are out there? Some states do a terrible job and absolute pathetic joke of a job at enforcing child support payments.

I'm not sure what Florida is like as far as that goes, or the state where the OP's ex is located.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:53 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
To the OP I would call the Florida Department of Children & Families @ 1-(866)762-2237 since they handle SNAP (Food stamps).

Food Stamp Eligibility is reviewed every 6 months so upon renewal you declared some increase in a source of Income.
For instance if you had some Emergency crisis paying your Water or Electric bill within the past 6 months and a County Crisis Agency paid it for you they will lower your Food Stamp allotment by the same amount for the next 6 months.

When there is a increase or decrease coming into your Household the Food Stamp allotment is adjusted. Since your Food Stamps were renewed you should have a explicit letter regarding their decision as to why your allotment was lowered by $156 a month.

Remember even if a family member or friend pays a portion of your rent or a Utility bill it is considered "Income" and is discounted.

SithLord72 as she stated the child's other parent does help out ($675 in child support ) and she still qualifies for Food Stamps since she is under the Federal Poverty Level.

Let's see if you can live on $ 356 a month between you and two kids for a month !

Florida does go after dead beat dads because you allow the state to search across state lines to seek recompensation for benefits extended.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:41 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
To the OP I would call the Florida Department of Children & Families @ 1-(866)762-2237 since they handle SNAP (Food stamps).

Food Stamp Eligibility is reviewed every 6 months so upon renewal you declared some increase in a source of Income.
For instance if you had some Emergency crisis paying your Water or Electric bill within the past 6 months and a County Crisis Agency paid it for you they will lower your Food Stamp allotment by the same amount for the next 6 months.

When there is a increase or decrease coming into your Household the Food Stamp allotment is adjusted. Since your Food Stamps were renewed you should have a explicit letter regarding their decision as to why your allotment was lowered by $156 a month.

Remember even if a family member or friend pays a portion of your rent or a Utility bill it is considered "Income" and is discounted.

SithLord72 as she stated the child's other parent does help out ($675 in child support ) and she still qualifies for Food Stamps since she is under the Federal Poverty Level.

Let's see if you can live on $ 356 a month between you and two kids for a month !

Florida does go after dead beat dads because you allow the state to search across state lines to seek recompensation for benefits extended.

I can't live on $356 a month,..that's why I got this thing called a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida