Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:51 PM

81 posts, read 120,124 times

Advertisements

Would Alabama be a good place to consider? I love that state since most of it is still rural with small towns. What about Mississippi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 06:16 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin230 View Post
I just miss the way Florida used to be. It was better before all the developers ruined it with all their strip malls, big box stores, housing developments, & condos. People like me who want a more rural lifestyle won't be able to consider Florida much longer.
Alot of people are angry about the over development and ugly construction but there are still alot of small towns and open space and rural areas in Florida and I believe population growth and immigration and conservation are going to be bigger issues in upcoming elections.

Florida wont be a desirable state to live in if this kind of dumb growth continues. Immigration has played a huge role in floridas growth as well and this is increasingly become a huge issue and still will be no matter who wins election

"Total Growth 2000-2010

2.8 million – Total population growth
1.3 million – New immigrants
0.6 million – New births to immigrants
1.9 million – Pop. growth due to immigration

New immigrants and births to immigrants during the decade totaled about 1.9 million, equal to two-thirds (67%) of Florida's total population growth."

Source: February 2015 Florida Survey of 800 Likely Voters by Pulse Opinion Research

FSP - Floridians for a Sustainable Population

Last edited by floridanative10; 11-07-2016 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 06:49 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Would Alabama be a good place to consider? I love that state since most of it is still rural with small towns. What about Mississippi?
Anything west of Lake City on I10 should fit the bill if you like a more southern, rural back country lifestyle. Places like Monticello, Madison, Perry, among quite a few others along the way are all that way, and are probably light years away from seeing mass development.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:01 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
That's the plan. If all goes as planned, I should be able to move within 3 years. I'm just making sure wherever I move won't get built up. I don't want to move to a rural area & have it become an urban area. That would be a waste of my time & money. Like the other poster above, I found I don't care for urban living either.
Unfortunately, that's what happens to places when they are discovered, the beauty, natural resources and other attributes made public ( reviewed in travel media, people who've discovered the place tell their friends and anyone else who will listen, it becomes a popular vacation or retirement destination, or gains a reputation as a great place to live, raise a family). Those folks searching for such places start flocking to the area, more as time goes on, and there goes the neighborhood. This isn't just Florida, it's pretty much anywhere people want to experience those attributes that make a place great to be in-it becomes popular. With the growth in population comes ever more infrastructure, housing, shopping centers, etc, etc to support that population, the local politicians and real estate folks see the dollar signs with the growth and push for ever more growth.

I think the only way to ensure you don't end up in a location destined to become crowded is to find a place off the map that no one knows about. Then keep quiet about it.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:50 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Thanks

Whenever I see negative threads about florida I just think about how its crazy how many people post in the florida subforum about how bad it is and they have moved elsewhere? Maybe the state has a pull on you long after you are gone. lol

I moved back here from Maryland and its already cold there with lows in the 30's and its gorgeous here. I love being back in this weather and the gorgeous outdoor stuff, you can be outdoors pretty much all year round here.

Whenever I see these negative threads about florida I always wonder where are people going to find stuff like this anywhere outside of the caribbean or south america or in a foreign country? You certainly wont find sugar white sand caribbean aqua waters and inland places like this anywhere else in the united states , not California,hilton head, etc

central florida and the gulf are amazing places , I used to go to rainbow river when i was in school in gainesville
More awesome pics!
I agree with you on all that you have said. I really don't understand why people come on here and complain about the state they live in. If you don't like something then change your situation--not many things are impossible. People only hold themselves back and then whine about it.
Florida has allot to offer for those that appreciate it
I love my state but I am ready for a new adventure and I can't take the cold here anymore......the old bones are nagging at me LOLOLOL
As soon as we are ready to retire, we will be in Florida and enjoying the rest of our lives (I pray)

Old 11-08-2016, 11:28 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
More awesome pics!
I agree with you on all that you have said. I really don't understand why people come on here and complain about the state they live in. If you don't like something then change your situation--not many things are impossible. People only hold themselves back and then whine about it.
I love my state but I am ready for a new adventure and I can't take the cold here anymore......the old bones are nagging at me LOLOLOL
As soon as we are ready to retire, we will be in Florida and enjoying the rest of our lives (I pray)
Seriously! I come back to the Florida forums and what do I see here? (thread titles aren't exact but you catch my drift) "For those unhappy living in Florida" "Who else can't stand Florida?" "Was Florida not the panacea you imagined?" Waah! Waah! Waaaaah! It's the same crap every time, these negative threads just never die.

Grow the hell up people. If you don't like where you're at then just leave. This online wallowing in misery is rather pathetic.

I, for one, think Florida seems pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Thanks

Whenever I see negative threads about florida I just think about how its crazy how many people post in the florida subforum about how bad it is and they have moved elsewhere? Maybe the state has a pull on you long after you are gone. lol

I moved back here from Maryland and its already cold there with lows in the 30's and its gorgeous here. I love being back in this weather and the gorgeous outdoor stuff, you can be outdoors pretty much all year round here.

Whenever I see these negative threads about florida I always wonder where are people going to find stuff like this anywhere outside of the caribbean or south america or in a foreign country? You certainly wont find sugar white sand caribbean aqua waters and inland places like this anywhere else in the united states , not California,hilton head, etc

central florida and the gulf are amazing places , I used to go to rainbow river when i was in school in gainesville

rainbow river

This was another spring near gainesville. manatee springs

you cant go wrong anywhere in blue spring state park, its gorgeous

https://www.google.com/search?q=Blue...m63I3tpoJHM%3A

One of my favorite gulf beaches, about 50 minute- 1 hour drive from tampa

caladesi island
Beautiful pics, 100% agree. These definitely exemplify why I think FL could end up being the place for me.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:46 PM

81 posts, read 120,124 times
A lot of us like what Florida used to be before the developers ruined it. Not country enough anymore. Only the panhandle area is good now. Only reason I'm stuck living in this crowded overbuilt city, is because my job is there. Nice thing about Alabama is you can work in the city, & live in the sticks 30 minutes away. In Florida you drive 30 minutes & your still in the stinkin city due to the urban sprawl.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:48 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
The best part of living in Florida is not paying income tax. I am not complaining I do not love it here but I try to make the best of it.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
A lot of us like what Florida used to be before the developers ruined it. Not country enough anymore. Only the panhandle area is good now. Only reason I'm stuck living in this crowded overbuilt city, is because my job is there. Nice thing about Alabama is you can work in the city, & live in the sticks 30 minutes away. In Florida you drive 30 minutes & your still in the stinkin city due to the urban sprawl.
It is mostly crowded near the coasts. Lots of the central area of Florida (other than Orlando) is small towns, lots and lots of undeveloped land. Even in the area I live, near the coast in Manatee I can still go about 2 miles east and see cow pasture. Sadly, those are disappearing but Manatee County is not nearly as developed as other areas such as Pinellas. Pinellas has 3,347 people per square mile, for example while Manatee has 481.

Even going further east of here you have small towns like Arcadia and Myakka which are rural and probably always will be. When we lived in Lakeland, we often went east and visited little towns like Auburndale, Lake Wales, Winter Haven (a bit larger) and Lake Alfred. But too many people think of Florida, and associate the crowds of Miami, Orlando or the Tampa Bay metro area with that and all that it implies.

If you like smaller towns, go to the center of the state, there are plenty! And many are quite charming.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:50 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
More awesome pics!
Quote:
You will love it here cindy and jk508. Justin230 you just live in a enormous and crowded metro, Old florida is still out there and there are tons of nice small towns and rural areas in florida. Actually so much of the population gain and subsequent over development in florida has come from illegal immigration, an issue that is going to have to be dealt with soon enough , no matter who wins the election

I was just in gulfport which is like 10 minutes from st pete and is a gorgeous little town with a great arts scene and lots of cool little cafes and restaurants gr. tons of those quaint little beachfront towns near st pete around like dunedin, alot more nice small towns and country when you get away from the coast

dunedin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry8jpJSeZNs

gulfport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkP0KsXMxME

For Cindy and jk I would come and stay a while and really research the various areas and use air band b and visit alot of places, its all about where you live in florida. I read spring hillian mention mt dora and thats where my great grandparents are from, its old florida at its best. This is a wonderful b and b where you can explore mt dora https://www.yelp.com/biz/adora-inn-mount-dora

there are some really nice b and b s in dunedin and caladesi island is a must see. Once you guys see a real palm tree and grow an orange tree and all types of amazing things and see the gorgeous rivers and beaches you love florida. I couldnt grow much in maryland, much less a palm or citrus

dunedin

Last edited by floridanative10; 11-08-2016 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida