Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 01:18 PM

409 posts, read 484,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That's a death sentence to young people though.
It depends upon the young people. Some like hiking, fishing, picnics, barbecues, and other outdoor activities. It is a great area for retirees, but I know young people who love it here, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 03:45 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
I agree, it is expensive to live in most of SE FL. Its expensive, congested and crowded. I would not want to live there, but many do.

What are service jobs? HVAC mechanic? Telephone system installer? Paralegal? Carpenter? Landscaper?
Car sound system installer? Accountant? Truck driver? Fast food worker? Supermarket staff member? Dentist? Nurse?

They are ALL service jobs as they all provide a service.

If you mean minimum wage earner - FL has 39,000 minimum wage workers, 142,000 under minimum wage.
There are 4,058,000 people working in FL. 4.5% of the FL work force is at or below minimum wage. In that 4.5% are waiters waitresses, valet parking attendants who earn 100's of dollars in tips which would actually a lot less than 142,000 under minimum wage workers. So out of a workforce of over 4 million work at minimum wage. You would say that people working for $10 an hour are low paid. Well, if your skill level pays $10 or so an hour it is nobody's fault but their own.

In Miami/Dade county the median annual household income is $43,000.

The living wage in Miami/Dade for 2 adults and 2 kids is $15.67 an hour. $43,000 a year is $20.67 an hour (at 40 hours/week).

People have a choice on where to live. If a place like Miami/Dade is what they want nothing is going to stop them.

Florida is not state of people who are not doing as well as most of the rest of the country.

The income tax break is nice. So is all the other tax breaks FL citizens get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Point is, SoFla is an expensive place to live and don't let the "No State Income Tax" banner make one overly confident that it will be a Win-Win situation, sure there are people who will earn above average wages and have a windfall of cash, while on average many will work for less than they can make elsewhere and barely see much wage growth to compensate for the high cost of living.

I get so tired of hearing the "No State Income Tax" from ignorant people who don't even have a clue how expensive it is to live in SoFla, since moving out here, I have to constantly educate people of this fact, many think SoFla is like Central FL and it's not by a long shot when it comes to day to day living expenses.

Service jobs, which are big in SoFla typically mean low pay and for many, even renting a 1 bedroom is beyond a stretch. I agree, they should all leave, then all the wealthy Baby Boomers will have nobody to wait on them when they go to spend their money at stores, restaurants and etc.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:17 PM

782 posts, read 760,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I agree, it is expensive to live in most of SE FL. Its expensive, congested and crowded. I would not want to live there, but many do.

What are service jobs? HVAC mechanic? Telephone system installer? Paralegal? Carpenter? Landscaper?
Car sound system installer? Accountant? Truck driver? Fast food worker? Supermarket staff member? Dentist? Nurse?

They are ALL service jobs as they all provide a service.

If you mean minimum wage earner - FL has 39,000 minimum wage workers, 142,000 under minimum wage.
There are 4,058,000 people working in FL. 4.5% of the FL work force is at or below minimum wage. In that 4.5% are waiters waitresses, valet parking attendants who earn 100's of dollars in tips which would actually a lot less than 142,000 under minimum wage workers. So out of a workforce of over 4 million work at minimum wage. You would say that people working for $10 an hour are low paid. Well, if your skill level pays $10 or so an hour it is nobody's fault but their own.

In Miami/Dade county the median annual household income is $43,000.

The living wage in Miami/Dade for 2 adults and 2 kids is $15.67 an hour. $43,000 a year is $20.67 an hour (at 40 hours/week).

People have a choice on where to live. If a place like Miami/Dade is what they want nothing is going to stop them.

Florida is not state of people who are not doing as well as most of the rest of the country.

The income tax break is nice. So is all the other tax breaks FL citizens get.
Service jobs that are low pay often number very high, fast food, hotels and etc. Not the skilled trades jobs you posted. Still though for those with skills or degrees, there is no guarantee SoFla will be the best place for you, often it's the worst option for career goals.

Rents in general are out of control, in SoFla based on the median incomes and sure people can leave if they cannot afford it anymore, but if companies want to retain talent, they will have to do more to keep people or attract talent. From my experience, many employers in SoFla have a "Take it or Leave It" attitude. They won't acknowledge the high cost of living and use lines like "HR researched similar companies and salaries and/or raises are in line with the area".

"In Miami, renters pay an average of $2,151, or more than 78 percent of their median incomes"

South Florida Housing Market | South Florida Rents

The income tax break is nice in your part of FL, but not in SoFla if you are not earning a great salary.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:11 AM

81 posts, read 120,269 times
Should Dixie, Gilchrist, & Taylor counties stay good for awhile? This was another area I was considering. For what I'm looking for, Panhandle vs somewhere in Dixie/Gilchrist/Taylor county?

Old 11-10-2016, 01:13 AM

81 posts, read 120,269 times
I was considering Citrus County for awhile, but I'm afraid it will start getting too built up eventually.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:59 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Surely unskilled workers get the lowest paying jobs. If you skill set is "want fries wit that" or you are a bus boy at Bob Evans then you should expect low pay because little is expected from you.

There is no guarantee that those with skills or degrees will be the best place for you no matter where you are.

The thing is if you look around S. FL you see nice homes, well maintained, late model cars, restaurants and bars are crowded.

Believe it or not people in the Miami area work for organizations such as Baptist Health South Florida, University of Miami, American Airlines, Florida Power & Light, Carnival Cruise Lines, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Childrens Hospital, Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo, LATAM Airlines/Lan Cargo, AAR Corp., N.C.L. Corporation, Federal Express, Eulen America, Ryder Integrated Logistics, Miami Herald Publishing Co, CitiBank, Fountainbleau Miami Beach Burger King Corporation Mercy Hospital, JP Morgan Chase, United Home Care, Leows Miami Beach, B/E Aerospace, Ocean Bank, Perry Ellis, Seaboard Marine, MasTec, Biltmore Hotel, Mandarin Oriental, Suntrust Bank and hundreds of others.

Up in Palm Beach area there is Palm Beach County Schools, Palm Beach County Government, Tenet Healthcare Corp, Good Samaritan Med. Ct, Hospital Corporation of America, Wackenhut Corporation, Florida Atlantic University, Bethesda Memorial Hospital, Boca Raton Resort & Club, Office Depot HQ, Delray
Boca Raton Community Hospital, South Florida Water Management District, City of West Palm Beach, Jupiter Medical Center, AT&T, PNC, Wachovia, Computer Systems Design Services, Verizon, SYSCO Food Services,The Scripps Research Institute and hundreds more.

30+ years ago I heard the same story about pay increases. ""HR researched similar companies and salaries and/or raises are in line with the area".

I dont know if you've heard, but rents are going higher and higher across the country. Seattle, San Francisco, New York, Miami, Orlando,

A recent report by the Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard found that "in an environment of increasing rent and home prices, low- and middle-income Americans were seeing a larger portion of their take-home pay going to cover the cost of rent, making their dreams of home ownership seem like a mirage."

According to a report by RealtyTrac.com "rental prices are rising so much that in 58% of housing markets in the U.S this year, it’s actually going to be more affordable to buy rather than rent"

In December 2015 CNBC carried a report that said:
"There are now 9 million more renters than there were just a decade ago, the biggest jump in renters on record, and they are paying more for rent than ever before".

"Of the nation's now 43 million families and individuals who rent, 1 in 5 are considered "cost-burdened," or paying more than 30 percent of their incomes on rent"

"The crisis in the number of renters paying excessive amounts of their income for housing continues, because the market has been unable to meet the need for housing that is within the financial reach of many families and individuals with lower incomes".

"Adding to the crisis, the number of "severely" cost-burdened renters, those paying more than half their incomes on rent, went from 7.5 million to 11.4 million in the last decade. This, as renter incomes have declined 9 percent since 2001. Add it up, and 49 percent of renters are cost-burdened, 26 percent severely so."

"Record-setting demand for rental housing due to demographic trends, the residual consequences of the foreclosure crisis and an increased appreciation of the benefits of being a renter has led to strong growth in the supply of rental housing over the past decade both through new construction and the conversion of formerly owner-occupied homes to rentals".

QUOTE=aewan68;46132759]Service jobs that are low pay often number very high, fast food, hotels and etc. Not the skilled trades jobs you posted. Still though for those with skills or degrees, there is no guarantee SoFla will be the best place for you, often it's the worst option for career goals.

Rents in general are out of control, in SoFla based on the median incomes and sure people can leave if they cannot afford it anymore, but if companies want to retain talent, they will have to do more to keep people or attract talent. From my experience, many employers in SoFla have a "Take it or Leave It" attitude. They won't acknowledge the high cost of living and use lines like "HR researched similar companies and salaries and/or raises are in line with the area".

"In Miami, renters pay an average of $2,151, or more than 78 percent of their median incomes"

The income tax break is nice in your part of FL, but not in SoFla if you are not earning a great salary.[/quote]

Old 11-10-2016, 02:44 PM

216 posts, read 328,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Point is, SoFla is an expensive place to live and don't let the "No State Income Tax" banner make one overly confident that it will be a Win-Win situation, sure there are people who will earn above average wages and have a windfall of cash, while on average many will work for less than they can make elsewhere and barely see much wage growth to compensate for the high cost of living.

I get so tired of hearing the "No State Income Tax" from ignorant people who don't even have a clue how expensive it is to live in SoFla, since moving out here, I have to constantly educate people of this fact, many think SoFla is like Central FL and it's not by a long shot when it comes to day to day living expenses.

Service jobs, which are big in SoFla typically mean low pay and for many, even renting a 1 bedroom is beyond a stretch. I agree, they should all leave, then all the wealthy Baby Boomers will have nobody to wait on them when they go to spend their money at stores, restaurants and etc.
What's wrong with wealthy baby boomers spending their money in SoFla? Would you rather they all move somewhere else to spend their money and then there would be no service jobs at all? Fewer jobs at restaurants, bars, stores, shops, etc. How is that better?

Old 11-10-2016, 04:47 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbig View Post
What's wrong with wealthy baby boomers spending their money in SoFla? Would you rather they all move somewhere else to spend their money and then there would be no service jobs at all? Fewer jobs at restaurants, bars, stores, shops, etc. How is that better?
Housing would be a lot cheaper if all the baby boomers left Fl.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:48 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I watched both of these just now. Thank you So much!! I love learning anything I can about this state......you're so very sweet!!

oh, what is a "air band b"?

I really have to learn how to say some of these city names LOLOLOLOL
airbnb is the best way to find places in residential neighborhoods and places you might want to live. I use it all the time, great prices too, so much better than staying in a hotel

Old 11-10-2016, 07:38 PM

782 posts, read 760,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Surely unskilled workers get the lowest paying jobs. If you skill set is "want fries wit that" or you are a bus boy at Bob Evans then you should expect low pay because little is expected from you.

There is no guarantee that those with skills or degrees will be the best place for you no matter where you are.

The thing is if you look around S. FL you see nice homes, well maintained, late model cars, restaurants and bars are crowded.

Believe it or not people in the Miami area work for organizations such as Baptist Health South Florida, University of Miami, American Airlines, Florida Power & Light, Carnival Cruise Lines, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Childrens Hospital, Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo, LATAM Airlines/Lan Cargo, AAR Corp., N.C.L. Corporation, Federal Express, Eulen America, Ryder Integrated Logistics, Miami Herald Publishing Co, CitiBank, Fountainbleau Miami Beach Burger King Corporation Mercy Hospital, JP Morgan Chase, United Home Care, Leows Miami Beach, B/E Aerospace, Ocean Bank, Perry Ellis, Seaboard Marine, MasTec, Biltmore Hotel, Mandarin Oriental, Suntrust Bank and hundreds of others.

Up in Palm Beach area there is Palm Beach County Schools, Palm Beach County Government, Tenet Healthcare Corp, Good Samaritan Med. Ct, Hospital Corporation of America, Wackenhut Corporation, Florida Atlantic University, Bethesda Memorial Hospital, Boca Raton Resort & Club, Office Depot HQ, Delray
Boca Raton Community Hospital, South Florida Water Management District, City of West Palm Beach, Jupiter Medical Center, AT&T, PNC, Wachovia, Computer Systems Design Services, Verizon, SYSCO Food Services,The Scripps Research Institute and hundreds more.

30+ years ago I heard the same story about pay increases. ""HR researched similar companies and salaries and/or raises are in line with the area".

I dont know if you've heard, but rents are going higher and higher across the country. Seattle, San Francisco, New York, Miami, Orlando,

A recent report by the Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard found that "in an environment of increasing rent and home prices, low- and middle-income Americans were seeing a larger portion of their take-home pay going to cover the cost of rent, making their dreams of home ownership seem like a mirage."

According to a report by RealtyTrac.com "rental prices are rising so much that in 58% of housing markets in the U.S this year, it’s actually going to be more affordable to buy rather than rent"

In December 2015 CNBC carried a report that said:
"There are now 9 million more renters than there were just a decade ago, the biggest jump in renters on record, and they are paying more for rent than ever before".

"Of the nation's now 43 million families and individuals who rent, 1 in 5 are considered "cost-burdened," or paying more than 30 percent of their incomes on rent"

"The crisis in the number of renters paying excessive amounts of their income for housing continues, because the market has been unable to meet the need for housing that is within the financial reach of many families and individuals with lower incomes".

"Adding to the crisis, the number of "severely" cost-burdened renters, those paying more than half their incomes on rent, went from 7.5 million to 11.4 million in the last decade. This, as renter incomes have declined 9 percent since 2001. Add it up, and 49 percent of renters are cost-burdened, 26 percent severely so."

"Record-setting demand for rental housing due to demographic trends, the residual consequences of the foreclosure crisis and an increased appreciation of the benefits of being a renter has led to strong growth in the supply of rental housing over the past decade both through new construction and the conversion of formerly owner-occupied homes to rentals".

QUOTE=aewan68;46132759]Service jobs that are low pay often number very high, fast food, hotels and etc. Not the skilled trades jobs you posted. Still though for those with skills or degrees, there is no guarantee SoFla will be the best place for you, often it's the worst option for career goals.

The income tax break is nice in your part of FL, but not in SoFla if you are not earning a great salary.
[/quote]

People work in various sectors, but it doesn't mean they earn a livable wage or can afford it in SoFla compared to other areas of FL, sure many do and many are realizing it's no longer affordable and wage increases are not keeping up with the high cost of living there.

Some careers are a guaranteed dead end in SoFla, will say often many apply to the whole state in general. You go where the jobs are or you choose to throw away everything you worked for.

California has a bigger economy than France, and is the Sixth Largest Economy in the World. Options here for me are better, I earn more even with the CA income tax, rents are nearly the same as SoFla depending on where you choose to live and/or what type of housing you prefer. I'd never earn what I'm earning now here in SoFla or FL in general, I could have went elsewhere and made similar wages but not in FL nor would I have a lot of options for career growth. It's not just in my field, but others.

The people that think SoFla isn't expensive are the ones making above average wages or have great careers in the right field. I heard my co-workers and friends complain often in SoFla, here I don't hear anyone complain about anything other than the high cost of housing, yet I have co-workers who just bought a house and are having a newborn. In SoFla, many Millenials I worked with would say flat out they cannot afford to buy a house or have kids.

People that cannot afford here leave just like people leave SoFla and elsewhere, it's the way it is. IF you don't have a trust fund or a big inheritance, you are left with little options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida