Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:17 PM

465 posts, read 2,427,157 times

Advertisements

I am on the hunt for the best beach town stateside. I thought Key West would have the cleanest, clearest water. Is it as nice to live in as it looks on T.V.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 07:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
I am on the hunt for the best beach town stateside. I thought Key West would have the cleanest, clearest water. Is it as nice to live in as it looks on T.V.?
I would stay away from the Keys, based on inputs from the locals is very expensive. Try Panama City, Navarre, Destin, the Panhandle beaches are white sand and clear waters.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:38 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
Key West does not have nice, clean waters or much beach for that matter. But it is a heck of a lively, fun town. Open 24/7. Artistic and way too touristy. There are many, many, many nice, beautiful, beach towns in Florida.
How 'bout South Beach? I love the atmosphere there - to visit. But I thin the Gulf coast and more northern east side are wonderful.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
Depends on your lifestyle and what you want.

Personally I think Key West and the Keys in general are great! But I wouldn't want to live there A) because I'd need to run on the financial treadmill that I'm trying to get off of and not accelerate it, B) a little too eclectic for my tastes and C) The type of healthcare I might eventually need would probably require an airlift and frankly I'd like to make life easier as I get older, not more adventuresome in THAT regard anyway

You might find you hate it. Then again you might love it. Spend a week there and if you like it, stay longer.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Great answer, Mr. Tudo!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:14 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Jewel, I would stay away from KeyWest unless you are a major party girl with a huge bankroll. There really are no great beaches in Key West. I know it is hard to believe, but true. It is a small island and very congested. The last time we were there (about 2 years ago) I picked up a real estate flyer and the prices were incredible. Can you imagine paying 300K for a mobile home? I don't think I saw any stick built single family homes for less than 700-800K. Plus I can imagine what Homeowners Insurance must cost there!

I know some people lived in their boats anchored in the harbor. I can imagine that would be great fun for a short term if you're young and adventuresome.

Also, you have to LOVE humidity. Key West in the summer is the most humid place I've ever been. All in all a fun place to visit, but there are other much nicer beach towns to live in.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:15 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 433,020 times
Key West is lovely... if you are gay, a millionary to afford home and homeowner's insurance rates, and HURRUCANES.

Enjoy!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:18 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
DON'T move to Key West! It's so overpriced that they have difficulty finding workers for the local businesses! It was an affordable place up till the 80's, but like other places in South Florida has steadily marched toward insanity for decades now. The weather is hot most of the year, it rarely rains and it's full of rickety old homes and crumby trailers, as well as the usual overpriced condos and apartments. If you INSIST on living in FLorida try the mainland, the panhandle or any other city, even a dump like south beach. Key West is SO BAD that even Miami beach is an improvement!!!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:25 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
The panhandle has the beautiful beaches....Key West is fun for a weekend adventure...be prepared to sit in traffic for at least 3-4 hours to get out of the keys on high volume weekends...and in a hurricane....just tie down the car.....

Old 11-30-2006, 09:03 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,192,765 times
I wouldn't ever live on Key West, but I would consider living on Big Pine Key, if I didn't have to work for a living. The Florida Keys aren't for everyone, but if you like year-round tropical weather, diving, fishing, and boating, they can be a great place to live.

Sure, the drive from the Keys to mainland Florida takes a couple hours. But where else can you live in the entire United States that has tropical weather almost all year, is surrounded by beautiful water, is a paridise for divers and fishermen, has some very unique local color, isn't plagued with condo high-rises everywhere, and is only a two hour drive from the mainland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida