Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:02 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about getting a home security system from ADT, but I know with these systems if you keep saying no enough, they will waive this fee or that fee or lower your monthly rate this XYZ etc.

In order to skip all this nonsense, can someone tell me what I should request from the start. Should I tell them to waive all the equipment and start up fees or ask for a certain monthly rate?

Also, if you absolutely hated the system, please let me know too.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm thinking about getting a home security system from ADT, but I know with these systems if you keep saying no enough, they will waive this fee or that fee or lower your monthly rate this XYZ etc.

In order to skip all this nonsense, can someone tell me what I should request from the start. Should I tell them to waive all the equipment and start up fees or ask for a certain monthly rate?

Also, if you absolutely hated the system, please let me know too.

Thank you so much!
Read the second page of the contract and see the terms and the years you MUST keep their service. There will be equal or better services available without the long contract and at equal or better prices.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:07 PM

Thank you! I called frontpoint (I believe that was the name) and they had a 3 year contract and I didn't like how I have to setup the equipment myself.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:44 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
If you don't have a complex need and can do a basic wireless install look at LiveWatch. "Free" hardware is never free.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:12 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,701 times
ADT sent me a "ADT Former Customer Offer" mailing. Equipment is installed. $19.95/month for first 12 months. Indicated to read complete offer at bottom of mailer. Print was so fine I could not read with magnifying glass. I called yesterday. $19.95/month for first 12. $36.99 for next 24 months. 3 year contract. No installation charges. I declined.
ADT called back today. Said I talked with them yesterday. Now want a installation charge. LOL. I never asked the monthly rate. Caller tried to put guilt trip on me for not wanting to protect my family.
ADT is like Sirius XM, Time Warner Cable, News and Observer, etc. Keep saying no.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:10 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
ADT is like Sirius XM, Time Warner Cable, News and Observer, etc. Keep saying no.
100% spot on!

Now that being said I bought a brand new home pre-wired for an alarm. Brinks left a door hanger to call for a free sales orientation (so I did). I also called ADT for a quote. The Brinks girl showed up late, kind of sloppy and just started filling out the order sheet (like it was a done deal). I asked the price and mentioned ADT was coming also. She gave me a "why did you waste my time" type attitude.

I went with ADT! No equipment fees, $30 a month covers the equipment failure, batteries for a few motion sensors we added and the cellular backup. They are pretty good to deal with but they will attempt to raise the fees, we then call and say we are going to cancel and they hold over the pricing for another 2-3 years.

My buddy used to be a sales rep for them.....it paid great while you used their leads but once their leads get taken away you starve trying to generate your own sales. He lasted about 8 months.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:05 PM

216 posts, read 328,016 times
ADT service is mediocre at best. I do not think they are customer oriented at all. For example, I had a built in sensor that kept screeching to indicate low battery. They wanted to schedule a tech to come out in about 3 days. I said I couldn’t live with the alarm going on and off. I asked if I could somehow disconnect it. They were no help over the phone. I finally figured out how to disconnect on my own. They contacted me to state that they noticed one of my units was off line. I told them the whole story and that I had to do something. Then they told me they could not be responsible if I had an emergency because I disconnected that sensor. I asked what was I supposed to do? No answer. When the tech did come by (3 days later), he said what I did was fine and that the phone support reps don’t know what they are doing. He said I should always ask to speak to tech support. How was I supposed to know that? I would definitely recommend you check around for alternatives.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:46 PM

413 posts, read 301,786 times
I had ADT when I was a kid. So hard to keep focused. I am better as I got older. ADT sucks when you have it.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:10 PM

I ended up installing Arlo wireless cameras and put up some warning signs of video surveillance and also that I'm armed and willing to use lethal force to protect my life and property

Old 10-16-2017, 09:30 AM

378 posts, read 487,528 times
We avoided ADT as we didn't want the contract. Instead we have a SimpliSafe alarm and wife put it up in an hour or so while I was at work It's month to month service and we pay $20/month

While the cameras are great (You got the Arlo Pro 2's right?) to assist with identification, I still preferred a system that contacted me and/or the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida