Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:28 AM

5 posts, read 6,518 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Florida. What part of Florida is the question. I have been reading a lot of topics here and I am lost...So I am hoping you guys can help me narrow down...

1) I want to live by the ocean
2) I don;t want high cost real estate. Probably something under 150K is good.
3) After I buy a house in Florida I want to rent the house out for few years before I move there forever so it should be rentable...Probably close to areas with jobs
4) I do not like to live in rednecky area. (Is gulf all redneck-y?)
5) How much are taxes on real estate in Florida?
6) I am terrified of flood insurance cost...I know it could be doable as long as I am in non flood zone, any recommendations on any companies?
7) My boyfriend did not like Miami summers because it was too humid/hot...Are all areas of Florida that are close to the ocean have weather similar to Miami? Sorry it is probably a stupid question, please do not
8) I do not want to see crocodiles/snakes in my backyard or crawling into my house..
9) I want a safe area because I have a teenager son...

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 04:48 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo100100100 View Post
I want to move to Florida. What part of Florida is the question. I have been reading a lot of topics here and I am lost...So I am hoping you guys can help me narrow down...

3) After I buy a house in Florida I want to rent the house out for few years before I move there forever so it should be rentable...Probably close to areas with jobs
6) I am terrified of flood insurance cost...I know it could be doable as long as I am in non flood zone, any recommendations on any companies?
7) My boyfriend did not like Miami summers because it was too humid/hot...Are all areas of Florida that are close to the ocean have weather similar to Miami? Sorry it is probably a stupid question, please do not
8) I do not want to see crocodiles/snakes in my backyard or crawling into my house..

What do you think?
I am not sure you will find everything you are seeking in one place. Near the ocean, jobs and rentable for under 150K seems unrealistic, although it depends on what you mean by "near". Would you be including a tiny condo as a possibility? You mention a "house" but I want to see if you mean that literally. Also, living near the ocean is not compatible with low flood insurance. Also, this is Florida so there will be snakes. Most are perfectly harmless. Learn to recognize those that aren't. For the most part, they will leave you alone as you are a greater threat to them than the other way around. Crocodiles are EXTREMELY rare. To the extent you are actually worried about alligators, again we have them here in Florida. They are not uncommon, but they live in fresh water so if you are near an ocean they are not likely to be in your backyard unless you are also near fresh water.

The coasts are not as "rednecky" as the interior but there are patches that are. Not all of Florida has Miami weather, but all of it is hot and humid in the summer. Not surprisingly it cools down slightly the further north you go but honestly I think the difference is bigger in the wintertime than in the summertime. Also please note the farther north you go the more common the "rednecky" areas are (as a vast generalization).

Also you say you want an area close to "jobs". What type of jobs?

The are that comes immediately to mind might be the Melbourne / Cocoa Beach area but again that depends on what you mean by "near" the ocean (those are on the ocean, but as far as getting a house for $150K "near" the ocean, I'm not sure) and what types of jobs you mean.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:07 AM

686 posts, read 622,658 times
You want to live by the water but don't want to pay flood insurance, don't want to see alligators or snakes, want to live near great jobs, all for $150k...

Try fantasy land

Old 04-17-2017, 05:18 AM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Plenty of homes for under 70k in West Pasco less than a mile from the gulf. 150k will really buy you a nicer house. Stay east of US19 and save on flood Ins

Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo100100100 View Post

What do you think?
In terms of near the ocean that's relative, however at that price point it won't be an easy stroll....more like an easy drive. However there are many places where you can live a short drive away within your price point. Lack of "rednecky" is going to be your biggest challenge though it's not consistent in most areas. I think given your price point, desire to be closer to the beach, relative safety at that price point and for the rental potential Pensacola, Ft Walton Beach and Panama City are going to be your best bet. All three cities have a very sizable military presence (Pensacola Naval Air Station, Eglin Air Force Base in Fort Walton Beach and Tyndall Air Force Base in Panama City) which help contribute to a transient population (many families) always in need of rental housing.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/11_zm/0_mmm/

Old 04-18-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I am not sure you will find everything you are seeking in one place. Near the ocean, jobs and rentable for under 150K seems unrealistic, although it depends on what you mean by "near". Would you be including a tiny condo as a possibility? You mention a "house" but I want to see if you mean that literally. Also, living near the ocean is not compatible with low flood insurance. Also, this is Florida so there will be snakes. Most are perfectly harmless. Learn to recognize those that aren't. For the most part, they will leave you alone as you are a greater threat to them than the other way around. Crocodiles are EXTREMELY rare. To the extent you are actually worried about alligators, again we have them here in Florida. They are not uncommon, but they live in fresh water so if you are near an ocean they are not likely to be in your backyard unless you are also near fresh water.

The coasts are not as "rednecky" as the interior but there are patches that are. Not all of Florida has Miami weather, but all of it is hot and humid in the summer. Not surprisingly it cools down slightly the further north you go but honestly I think the difference is bigger in the wintertime than in the summertime. Also please note the farther north you go the more common the "rednecky" areas are (as a vast generalization).

Also you say you want an area close to "jobs". What type of jobs?

The are that comes immediately to mind might be the Melbourne / Cocoa Beach area but again that depends on what you mean by "near" the ocean (those are on the ocean, but as far as getting a house for $150K "near" the ocean, I'm not sure) and what types of jobs you mean.

Thank you!
I was looking into that area too...I was more thinking about New Smyrna Beach, seems that it has less crime than Cocoa Beach/Melbourne area, is that right?

Old 04-18-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Plenty of homes for under 70k in West Pasco less than a mile from the gulf. 150k will really buy you a nicer house. Stay east of US19 and save on flood Ins
I am glad you brought it up. West Pasco is a new thing for me...
I will look into it...

Old 04-18-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In terms of near the ocean that's relative, however at that price point it won't be an easy stroll....more like an easy drive. However there are many places where you can live a short drive away within your price point. Lack of "rednecky" is going to be your biggest challenge though it's not consistent in most areas. I think given your price point, desire to be closer to the beach, relative safety at that price point and for the rental potential Pensacola, Ft Walton Beach and Panama City are going to be your best bet. All three cities have a very sizable military presence (Pensacola Naval Air Station, Eglin Air Force Base in Fort Walton Beach and Tyndall Air Force Base in Panama City) which help contribute to a transient population (many families) always in need of rental housing.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/11_zm/0_mmm/

Thank you so much!
I was looking into Pensacola too...
I am glad you brought up the Air Force and other bases...Thats a very good point.
Would you say it is safe in Pensacola and Panama City? Are there any bad areas I should stay away from?

Old 04-18-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
If I stay east of US19, how much would the flood insurance be? 2k per year? 10 k per year? Approximately...

Old 04-18-2017, 05:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
The thing with west Pasco is while its near the water there are no major beaches . you'll have to drive to Clearwater if you want a big Florida beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida