Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:35 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,069,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
$1800-1900 in South Florida
OP I sincerely admire you.
Too many people move down here knowing they can't afford it but convince themselves it'll magically work out.
this. There's no way a family of three with 2300 a month could make it in my area. The cheapest 2 bedroom apt around run 900+ and that's in the hood. No thank you.

The OP wouldn't be able to afford a 2 bedroom apt in a nice, clean, decent area around here...not on that income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 11:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,677,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
So, I'm figuring you're not independently wealthy, so what does your SO say about jobs? Are they familiar with the difference in pay scale in Florida? You say a family of 3, daughter or son? Just as an FYI- the Miami area has had mosquitoes that tested positive for zika virus, Zika virus: CDC study estimates 20-fold increase in birth defects | Miami Herald. I'm also going to assume your SO is using the argument that they don't like being hold up in a small Indiana apartment all winter? How do you think they'll feel about being hold up in a small air conditioned Hialeah apartment all summer? What's really driving their desire to move to Florida? Weather, COL, change of scenery? Good luck!
All summer? How about 8 months out of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Have him make the Florida solo trip in August. That might go a long way to convince him.
You can substitute August for several months of the year, it's not like there is any difference most of the year.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:48 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,194,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
this. There's no way a family of three with 2300 a month could make it in my area. The cheapest 2 bedroom apt around run 900+ and that's in the hood. No thank you.

The OP wouldn't be able to afford a 2 bedroom apt in a nice, clean, decent area around here...not on that income.
Even if they could find an apartment in that range. The other bills will take up the rest of their money.
Monthly....
1. $900-rent
2. $150+-electricity
3. phone- $100
4. Internet-assuming cable comes with apartment-$70
5. Car insurance $100
6. Gas-$120
7. Rental insurance- $100
8. Food- $450 minimum
9. Washing clothes because washer and dryer will not be included in the low rent places- $50

That adds up to $2330 which only leaves you $0 for the rest of the stuff like medical payments/insurance, paying for tags and registering the car,clothes, school expenses, tires, break down of car, dentist, fun things to do, McDonalds Happy meal, etc.

I low balled on a lot of the expenses too.
For 2 smartphones lowest I found with unlimited everything and taxes and fees is $170 a month. Cheaper older apartments may run $200-$250 for electricity in summer if you use air....really hot without. Car insurance would be more depending on credit rating, type of auto, driving records etc. Gas I figured $30 a week but you may not get as good of mileage or stay home more. Rental insurance is a must because in apartments other tenants might burn the place down by accident and tornadoes and hurricanes might damage your stuff. Food at $450 means shoppingg very conservatively for 3. Food is not cheap here. Often eggs, oranges, meat, soda, milk, etc. is cheaper in Indiana than down here-even in small town groceries in the towns where my family lives. Also if you have family up North, on that amount of take home, you will not have the money to go"home for family happenings .ike weddings, graduations, illnesses and funerals without them sending you money to get home. Since we retired and are livin on a more limited budget around $50,000 it is harder and harder to find the money to get back for funerals.
My take.....
It probably will be impossible almost to live anywhere in Florida unless you work to supplement the disability check he gets.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:36 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,644,856 times
Your income is low for nearly anywhere in the country. That's not even 2 minimum wage jobs... It seems ridiculous to try and take care of a family of 3 on a single low income like that.

I guess at this rate, others aren't factoring in all the free gov'ment money you can get. Section 8 housing or tax-credit housing can get your rent down. Food stamps for sure. Obama phone. Comcast low income almost free internet. Free child care, etc. Have at it. You can live here on that, easily, and we'll end up paying for it.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:38 AM

686 posts, read 726,062 times
If I read that right....you have $46,000 a year coming in....you do have enough money to live on in Florida....maybe not south Florida but there are other places you can live at that are not dumps and you can afford the rent.
I don't know how your money is coming in...but the big difference between Florida and Indiana is the no state income tax.
I was curious and did a quick search on Zillow for rentals in some counties..
In Brevard, you can rent this...its acceptable for your price range.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...874_rect/8_zm/?

Do a search yourself on the counties in Florida and see what comes up or continue to argue with your husband....doesn't matter.
If you do make it to Florida....you'll fit right in being from Indiana.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:07 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,644,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
If I read that right....you have $46,000 a year coming in....you do have enough money to live on in Florida....maybe not south Florida but there are other places you can live at that are not dumps and you can afford the rent.
I don't know how your money is coming in...but the big difference between Florida and Indiana is the no state income tax.
I was curious and did a quick search on Zillow for rentals in some counties..
In Brevard, you can rent this...its acceptable for your price range.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...874_rect/8_zm/?

Do a search yourself on the counties in Florida and see what comes up or continue to argue with your husband....doesn't matter.
How did your math get $2300 x 12 = $46,000?

Old 05-14-2017, 07:59 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,530,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
Hahaha lol.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:55 PM

686 posts, read 726,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
How did your math get $2300 x 12 = $46,000?

crap....lol....... I didn't read OP's original post right (that's why I put a disclaimer "if I read that right")... obviously my math was a little off...geez...what a doofus...I don't know what I was thinking...it was late on a Saturday night...little too much wine...

Good catch BNBR!

I did get one thing right...found a rental in their price range.....

Old 05-15-2017, 05:39 AM

5,027 posts, read 7,470,573 times
[quote=beckerd2;48157106] I don't know what I was thinking...it was late on a Saturday night...little too much wine...quote]

Don't mix wine and math
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida