Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:46 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
With or without help? And by that I mean spouse, sign. other, parents or gov't assistance? I find it hard to believe that 3 people (in total) can live off of $10 an hour (anywhere) without help.
Between my girlfriend and I, mine is the only income. We do not ask for government assistance, and she is fighting a court case to get her disability.

However, once she gets it, I don't want to continue the relationship--I'll leave her to her own devices.

So..two people. Me...and her.

Of course, I live within walking distance of work and grocery stores.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 AM

177 posts, read 257,638 times
You can live anywhere if you have the money.
If you are having fiancial difficulties,it will be tough going wherever you live.So don't expect by moving you are going to improve your lot in life.
Education and hard work are the key ingredients.
I hope everyone does well.
I have to move on,this is all so negative.
No more Florida reads/posts.
To be happy you have to be positive.
Don't tell me what you don't have,tell me what you do have or how you plan to make things better.
Perhaps you should move North.Get the Yankee work ethics/positive outlook from winners..

Last edited by New England Yankee; 03-18-2008 at 08:40 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 AM

177 posts, read 257,638 times
I thought you might like to think about this.

"To think bad thoughts is really the easiest thing,in the world.If you leave the mind to itself it will spiral down into ever increasing unhappiness.To think good thoughts however requires effort.This is one thing that discipline and training is about."

John Clavell
Shotgun.

Good thoughts go to everyone.

Last edited by New England Yankee; 03-18-2008 at 09:40 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I lived in NYC (including 9/11) as well. You haven't seen it all. Mark the day you move here on a calendar, mark 18 months after that, re-post your opinion of Florida after 18 months.

Florida will unravel every layer of civility & security you have. You are not prepared for how you will feel, trust me.
Wooooo generalization and hyperbole to boot!

No doubt parts of Florida will do this to you. Many other parts are very nice places to live however. Florida is not all about Orlando, Miami, Tampa, etc.

Get away from the Interstates and big cities, there is a beautiful state between the coasts.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:18 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I still stand by this statement: Florida is the only place I've lived where crime is 100% unavoidable. It does not matter what time of day it is or where you live. This is not something that people from the northeast and midwest fully comprehend.
Wow - that's just plain not true.

I have lived here for 35 years and have never experienced crime, ever.

It very much matters what time of day it is and where you live. How could it possibly not?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Wow - that's just plain not true.

I have lived here for 35 years and have never experienced crime, ever.

It very much matters what time of day it is and where you live. How could it possibly not?

Same here... I have been here 13 years, and have avoided crime 110%. And Ilive in a place worse than Compton, CA. I live in the disease infested, crime ridden, exceptionally dangerous CAPE CORAL....OOOOOHHHHH....

That muggy person is the WORST, most negative of all on City-data. I don't even argue anymore with constant negative whining....

Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
I still fear that the hamburglar is going to get me every day, service oriented economy and all.

http://www.thereeler.com/images/hamburglar.jpg (broken link)

ESPECIALLY in Cape Coral. He's gonna get you!!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I still fear that the hamburglar is going to get me every day, service oriented economy and all.

NOW THAT WAS HILLARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good one....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ya he scares the doody out of me too.....

Old 03-18-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post

http://www.thereeler.com/images/hamburglar.jpg (broken link)

ESPECIALLY in Cape Coral. He's gonna get you!!!!
Had to boost your rep up on that one!!! LOL!!!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:52 AM

20 posts, read 40,999 times
Default Personal experience of a Florida native

I am a native Floridian, but have done extensive travelling in my life. I cannot speak about living elsewhere but I can speak about living here. I have never experienced any type of crime and consider myself "sheltered" in that respect. I am 34 years old and live in Rotonda West (Englewood) on the Gulf coast of Florida. I also lived in Orlando for 15 years and never experienced any crime there either.

People, including myself, live in Florida for the lifestyle. It is relaxed, you can wear flip flops every day, walk out of the house without makeup and not think twice about it, drive 10 minutes and walk along the beach, breathe fresh salty air, sleep with your windows and doors open, see every star in the sky at night, have sunshine almost every day, meet people from all over the world, and best of all; my son will grow up knowing what a dolphin looks like, and how to drive a boat, and what a gopher turtle is, and know all there is to know about monster trucks .

It sounds like a lot of the people complaining on this site are NOT laid-back people, so I can understand their frustration. If that is your case, you moved to Florida for the wrong reasons.

About the housing affordability issue, have you looked at other ocean side towns and cities in the country? I'd like to know where else you could live for under $300k and be this close to a beach. Please challenge me! I'd love to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida