Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:37 PM

172 posts, read 945,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I went to fort myers beach today and guess what I saw???

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii210/ca441970/Godzilla.jpg (broken link)

lmao!! he must have come by for spring break!!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:13 PM

374 posts, read 1,629,343 times
Quote:
I went to fort myers beach today and guess what I saw???

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii210/ca441970/Godzilla.jpg (broken link)
#%%%###***%%%@@@!!!!! Imagine that!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:34 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Quote:
I lived in Orlando for 5 years, and not once was I scared... ...
Ditto....only it has been 25 years.....

Old 04-13-2008, 08:53 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
South and mid Pinellas is pretty high crime. I definitely wouldn't live south of 60. Do you feel in danger when you are walking around Palm Harbor, East Lake, Dunedin, etc?
South of 60??!?

I totally agree with the rest of your post but ohhhh boyyy do I need to point out that it is completely safe south of 60! (short of certain areas in south st. petersburg)

Old 04-13-2008, 10:02 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
South of 60??!?

I totally agree with the rest of your post but ohhhh boyyy do I need to point out that it is completely safe south of 60! (short of certain areas in south st. petersburg)
Yeah, but kind of inconsistent don't you think? Clearwater (parts of it), Pinellas Park, Largo, any many more, all areas I would never consider living in. Of course there are really nice spots in St. Petersburg and along the coast, but there are only a couple of tiny spots I wouldn't consider north of 60. I was mainly using that as a line because muggy claims that you can not avoid high crime areas no matter where you are in Florida, when in fact there are little to no high crime areas north of 60 until you get to like New Port Richey.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:40 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
I've enjoyed our stint in Florida, but the weather has taken its toll on me (not to mention the small companies closing down). We moved from CT to sw florida in 2005, and we're headed back home this year. I know you think it won't matter, but it leaves a strange and empty feeling to wear shorts outside on Christmas Day.

There is not much crime to speak of here (southwest FL), though there are a LOT of sex offenders in all areas... the bugs ARE big, but it's not a reason to hate living here, LOL. The economy is hte main reason we're leaving, and the weather is a close second. This time of year is gorgeous. But from the end of April until December it's just too darn hot and humid, and nothing like up north. If you like hot and humid, you'll probably love it.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 AM

451 posts, read 310,828 times
Quote:
Trust me Chloe92us, if you spend enough time reading these posts on here, it's the same people all the time complaining and blowing things WAY out of preportion... I like it here in Cape Coral, AND I love my homestate of Mass., but I prefer to be here. I lived in Orlando for 5 years, and not once was I scared... You have to read some of these posts and grit your teeth, people are just unhappy!!! I agree with you on everything....
The degree of exaggeration is sometimes ridiculous; crime no worse than elsewhere in the US, weather? people talk about 7 months of severe heat/ humidity, not true, july and august are toughbut most days of may,june, and
september are pleasant, Bugs?? nothing compared to what I've seen in the northeast during the summer.
I understand the frustration of so many people for not being able to make a decent living in Florida, but good jobs competition is tough, but to talk trash the quality of life in Florida? mostly frustration. Florida's quality of life is among the best in US.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:20 AM

7 posts, read 29,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappergirlquote=Muggy
Peace! I still can't wait to move to Florida! ...Even if it means I will be I will attacked by a dragon-sized lizard as I retrieve my mail at the end of my new driveway of my new home in Florida...it STILL beats having my face pushed into some straphanger's smelly armpit or be forced to stand so close to a stranger on a crowded car NYC subway car at 9AM that I can smell on their breath exactly what they ate for breakfast!! Eeeow.
Happiness in Florida:
1. Healthcare/nurse/doctor, government/defense, or some other secure, well paying job.
2. Can put up with oppressive humidity from June -> Nov 1 (slowly becoming Dec because of global warming).
3. Put up with renting until home prices and insurance actually reflect the real Florida market (~5 years).
4. Deal with traffic (wait until school is in session).

If you can't deal with one of those, pick another state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy
Florida will unravel every layer of civility & security you have. You are not prepared for how you will feel, trust me.
Speaking with 25 years of living in Florida, Muggy is not far off. The influx of people, the ridiculous increase in home prices, and now high home owners insurance makes Florida not attractive in the least. Affordability is the problem. No home in Florida should be above $250K. There is NO economy to support anything above that anywhere in Florida. Try insuring a home/condo on the beach. I live 30 miles away and have a barrier island in front of my home and my insurance is still doubling every year. It's still low as it was purchased years ago, but I have no idea how people can afford the current home prices and higher insurance.

The problem with affordability is only a recent occurrence--1999+. Prices and insurance need to come back down for "paradise" to return.

Can't resist putting down Florida:
East coast- droves of transplants from the North. You hate the beach, have no tan, and try to turn whatever you're around into the city you came from. City atmosphere and traffic without any culture, identity, or respect for your city.
West coast/panhandle- laid back and pay reflects that atmosphere. Most Floridians choose to live on this side.

Cities:
All: ridiculous traffic with little to no infrastructure investments, miles of strip malls and concrete, miles of stucco boxes fill every subdivision.

Jax- Actually has a winter. Random lane closures on i-95.
Miami/FLL- Spanish may be the preferred language in some stores. You will witness or see the aftermath of ~3 traffic accidents every day guaranteed. Palmetto Expressway will have something on fire blocking traffic forever. The Everglades will catch fire during the summer shutting down turnpike, i-4, and i-75 or a combination if you're lucky.
Tampa/Orlando- Tourists + I-4 + I-75 = fun.
Ocala- Once you get too crazy for Orlando, you go to Tampa; once you get too crazy for Tampa, you get sent to Ocala. Read the headlines and that will make sense.
Panhandle- See Alabama

Old 04-14-2008, 02:56 AM

7 posts, read 29,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
The degree of exaggeration is sometimes ridiculous; crime no worse than elsewhere in the US, weather? people talk about 7 months of severe heat/ humidity, not true, july and august are toughbut most days of may,june, and
september are pleasant, Bugs?? nothing compared to what I've seen in the northeast during the summer.
I understand the frustration of so many people for not being able to make a decent living in Florida, but good jobs competition is tough, but to talk trash the quality of life in Florida? mostly frustration. Florida's quality of life is among the best in US.
Crime is only bad in the bigger cities. I disagree with the heat. Bugs? Meth labs are a far bigger problem in Florida.

Quality of life has changed. All coastal areas and the East Coast beg to differ on quality of life. It will trickle up to those that feel insulated (retirees, high-paid, etc).

Old 04-14-2008, 06:15 AM

149 posts, read 701,112 times
Enjoying 65F temps this AM in Satellite Beach and AC is off. Have been here for a month now and enjoying every bit of it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida