Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 05:42 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Where Irma land in relation to the Dominican Republic & Haiti has huge impacts for ultimate intensity. Big mountains can play a role

Thanks for the graphics......intersting and educational..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 05:43 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
They will not know where it is going until probably Saturday. Right now it is being pushed further south and could go right into the Gulf. It totally depends on which way the systems are pushing it.

I understand people need to be prepared. We went out Saturday and bought all the water, batteries, etc. before the rush.

But the media sensationalizes these storms, panics everyone and the local stations in particular just keep the hysteria as high as possible. It's really annoying, and our governor also panics people. Matthew, the Cat 5 direct hit, barely got here. Our power never went out.
Matthew tore up trees in our families beachside neighborhood in central fl, some of which affected houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Now is the time for those of us in Florida to start eating out of our freezer. If you're like me, you have frozen chicken, fish, and tons of other frozen stuff. Don't let it go to waste. I'm in Central Florida, and here we have close to a week to whittle down our freezer before the storm might hit. Plus, it saves from spending on food this week. If the storm doesn't hit, super great, I'll just replenish the freezer afterwards. If it does hit, I won't be kicking myself for letting all of that good stuff go to waste.

And don't forget the batteries for the battery-powered fans, which you hopefully have. We bought a couple of the 02Cool fans that run on batteries several years ago at Walmart, and they are a Godsend when the electricity is out for long periods.
I use lithium ion power banks nowadays to run smartphones and usb fans.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:03 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
They will not know where it is going until probably Saturday. Right now it is being pushed further south and could go right into the Gulf. It totally depends on which way the systems are pushing it.

I understand people need to be prepared. We went out Saturday and bought all the water, batteries, etc. before the rush.

But the media sensationalizes these storms, panics everyone and the local stations in particular just keep the hysteria as high as possible. It's really annoying, and our governor also panics people. Matthew, the Cat 5 direct hit, barely got here. Our power never went out.
They do it to keep you watching so their ratings go up and they can change more for advertising.

It will be interesting for sure. I was planning to come down this weak s they are pouring my foundation on Friday. Now I have to see if the storm or just rain from it, will change that.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnxEp5Szb0

Old 09-04-2017, 08:56 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
I'm more worried with Cuba IMO. They literally can't evacuate and leave. Every inch of that Island will be hit one way or another. But, eh, this is revenge from the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:58 PM

157 posts, read 284,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Maybe IRMA will do us a fav and demolish Mar-a- Lago. Poetic justice.
Keep your ignorant comments in the appropriate forum.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:05 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
The latest GFS Model.

If you are in Florida, buy water, gas, get cash, today or tomorrow. All hell is going to break loose when this Cat 5 storm comes closer.
Right on the tip of the penis!

Old 09-04-2017, 09:12 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Matthew tore up trees in our families beachside neighborhood in central fl, some of which affected houses.
I did not say there was no damage. I believe northern FL and GA got it the worst.

They predicted Boca/Delray direct hit of Cat 5, and people were totally panicked. Friends were telling me to come stay with them on the west coast. The stores ran out of shutter hardware and people were freaking out. Like I said, we didn't even lose power.

Be prepared, but be aware that they rarely predict where it is hitting correctly (in FL). Even Andrew was off. Many people from Miami Beach evacuated to Homestead, which got the worst of it. Charlie was predicted to be a direct hit on Tampa and surrounding areas. It took a right and went to Punta Gorda then went across the state to Orlando and the east coast. I know someone who left for Ormond Beach, where their car was destroyed by a tree.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:36 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
People are already freaking out here in Palm Harbor. I live about 5 miles inland from the gulf coast and none of the major chain stores had water. I was about to pick up 8 cases at a CVS that still had some.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:43 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
There should be an invention where it's an automated gun that shoots any detected movement inside your property. The biggest issue with evacuating is the potential for burglars to loot vacant homes. I'd buy one of those if anyone decides to create it :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida