Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:01 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

Ourselves, we plan on leaving northeastern Florida in a year or so and going back to Colorado........possibly. Wife and I have been here since Jan 2009, but just don't like it nearly as much as when we first moved here. The population has gone up and the traffic, not as bad as some other cities, but (to us) still bad. We want to move to a much smaller population with definitely less crime. If we go back to Colorado, it will be in the northern area of the Front Range/Eastern Slope. We miss a number of things that we loved to do and see, for the 5 1/2 years we lived south of Denver. When we move, we will be in early 70's and both retired.

So, what I'm wondering about is, when folks move to anywhere in Florida, but end up not liking it, where do they move to?

Just curious.

BTW, like any other city/state, not everyone that moves to it, ends up loving it forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 11:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
After growing up in St Pete it became apparent i was one of those that couldnt take the unrelenting heat and humidity,back in the mid 70s i immigrated to Canada (Montreal) and have loved all 4 seasons ever since, I find Florida to be an interesting destination for a couple of weeks mid winter but thats about it.

Heres my kinda place =http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...r/DSC00060.jpg

Old 12-13-2017, 11:59 AM

459 posts, read 585,679 times
I left Florida a couple months ago and could not get out fast enough. Traffic from hell and covered up with impolite rude snowbirds and expensive cost of living - simply had enough. People from FL seem to think they know what fishing is - a joke is what it is. After you've fished Alaska you whole life you do know what fishing really is.

Came from Alaska but we too are early 70's and not going back to that cold again. Built a new home in southern Alabama and love the area. Got down to 29° the other night, just right, but popped back to low 60° again. Lot of trees, hills and a very low cost of living.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:16 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Funny, I replied to a thread on the Tennessee forum and a guy told me that where he lives there, there are quite a number of former Florida people. Thing is, he also told me that none of them have anything good to say about Florida.

As for us, we'd rather be fishing for Rainbows in freshwater lakes along the I-25 than fishing here. The salt and brackish water here can kill an I/O. To a point, it sure did to ours and it cost us. The inside of part of our outdrive was a mess from corrosion. Every time we took the boat out on the St. John's River, we run the muffs on the drive, but our boat has never been in freshwater.

One other thing, we still have our Winter Parka's and gloves that we bought in Colorado. Guess, somehow, we knew we wouldn't stay here.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:47 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
Western North Carolina is popular with the halfbacks. Not a whole lot of lakes, though. There are a few you might like, however. Fontana Lake, Lake James, Nantahala.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:20 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Georgia is the most popular state apparently for people leaving FL and would suggest the suburbs to the north of Atlanta around Lake Lanier (Alpharetta/Johns Creek/Buford/Suwanee) among the leading destinations. Otherwise as stated NC and increasingly SC with Lake Murray (just west of Columbia) another option.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:45 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,895 times
I've had thoughts about moving to Tennessee or Georgia. Maybe Alabama.

If TN I'd choose eastern part due to lower costs of living Vs Nashville and proximity to smokey mountains.
For GA it'd be the northern part of the state or suburbs of Atlanta. Atlanta itself is too big and expensive. A Savannah suburb is another possibility due to closeness to the beaches. But wherever is cheapest to live.

With Alabama it'd be huntsville or maybe mobile suburbs.

NC has some extra taxes we don't have in Florida.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:30 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ourselves, we plan on leaving northeastern Florida in a year or so and going back to Colorado........possibly. Wife and I have been here since Jan 2009, but just don't like it nearly as much as when we first moved here. The population has gone up and the traffic, not as bad as some other cities, but (to us) still bad. We want to move to a much smaller population with definitely less crime. If we go back to Colorado, it will be in the northern area of the Front Range/Eastern Slope. We miss a number of things that we loved to do and see, for the 5 1/2 years we lived south of Denver. When we move, we will be in early 70's and both retired.

So, what I'm wondering about is, when folks move to anywhere in Florida, but end up not liking it, where do they move to?

Just curious.

BTW, like any other city/state, not everyone that moves to it, ends up loving it forever.
I'd make sure wherever you went, as a 70+ yr old, that medical centers, physician's care, and assisted living type arrangements are nearby if that intends to be your final destination retirement area. Living in rural areas can be difficult for older folks as the need for health care usually increases.

I think Floridians escaping the state head to North Carolina Mountains, Tennessee, Georgia and possibly Nevada out west (to answer your question).

Last summer I spent a few weeks at the USAF Academy and really enjoyed the area but not sure I could handle any more winters after living in Europe for over 20 yrs. I ski, mountain bike, spend a lot of times outdoors, but as a retiree, I'd think some of that will be scaled back (especially skiing). I like Colorado Springs in the summer better than FL, but think having sun year around is better for me. I also liked SLC area Utah and Reno, Nevada as other retirement destinations.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:36 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
We're looking at relocating right now but since we are in our late 40s/early 50s a lot of where we go will depend on where we can find work. Right now the best lead we are working is in Maine. We have family there so that's a plus and it's a known quantity. Re-adjustment will be tough, but we're both ready to leave.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:55 AM

789 posts, read 784,819 times
We moved to western NC 20 years ago . MY wife and I were born in naples along with our two girls . Were 30 minutes north of Ashville and have one small rural town in our county there but Weaverville is only a 20 minute ride for most big box store needs and a publix grocery for us florida folks !! Love the 4 seasons here too with no more hot humid extended summers , HA .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida