Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:42 AM

294 posts, read 233,148 times

Advertisements

I am positive the number of those 224 that were saved due to guns were not assault weapons. A fraction if that and I am positive the number is much lower than the number slaughtered with assault weapons every year. When someone you love or know is a statistic maybe you will see the light. Maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 10:49 AM

233 posts, read 172,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
I am positive the number of those 224 that were saved due to guns were not assault weapons. A fraction if that and I am positive the number is much lower than the number slaughtered with assault weapons every year. When someone you love or know is a statistic maybe you will see the light. Maybe not.
As I stated, I don't know anyone killed in a mass shooting (and other than suicide) don't know anyone killed by a gun period. But a good friend of mine lost most of his family to a drunk driver. The drunk driver plowed into the car with his wife and two kids after the drunk driver failed to stop at a red light. His wife and daughter were immediately killed. His son left with terrible brain damage. He has since remarried and has another daughter.

He doesn't want alcohol banned - in fact, he himself drinks. He knows that it's not alcohol, how easily it's to obtain alcohol in this society but an irresponsible drunk driver that caused it.

Likewise, I understand not to blame guns, or blame the availability of guns when many peaceful citizens own them and don't cause these kinds of things. I put the blame where it belongs, the shooter.

And I don't want our society to become less free - banning everything when someone misuses them.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:49 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
Alcohol takes a far bigger toll on US society than guns and unlike guns, has no useful purposes. No one is talking about banning alcohol however. Would you be fine with banning alcohol, why or why not?
Just come and try taking my alcohol away from me

Old 02-20-2018, 10:57 AM

294 posts, read 233,148 times
Quote:
As I stated, I don't know anyone killed in a mass shooting (and other than suicide) don't know anyone killed by a gun period. But a good friend of mine lost most of his family to a drunk driver. The drunk driver plowed into the car with his wife and two kids after the drunk driver failed to stop at a red light. His wife and daughter were immediately killed. His son left with terrible brain damage. He has since remarried and has another daughter.

He doesn't want alcohol banned - in fact, he himself drinks. He knows that it's not alcohol, how easily it's to obtain alcohol in this society but an irresponsible drunk driver that caused it.

Likewise, I understand not to blame guns, or blame the availability of guns when many peaceful citizens own them and don't cause these kinds of things. I put the blame where it belongs, the shooter.

And I don't want our society to become less free - banning everything when someone misuses them.
With that logic do you support or not the heavy restrictions put on ammonium nitrate after only ONE person misused it? Where is your outcry for that cause.......How about the tons of people who used it to green up their yards in the spring.....how about their rights that have been ripped from them.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:04 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
If it will change Florida politically is not the question (it won't, because people have short attention spans).

The question is will it change the pattern of gun violence and mass shooting in the US. As long as they fail to address the root cause (and not the ineffective and meaningless solutions like "assault weapons ban") - - enforcement of existing gun laws, address lapses on law enforcement due dillgence on investigation of potential risks, addressing mental illness in young adults, discourage the focus on the shooter which promotes copy cat murder sprees, it will continue. Those are not, nor should it be, issues subject to partisan politics.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:05 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Everyday 30 people die in a drunk driving collision. That's far more people than die in mass shootings. If you're worried about your child, they're far more likely to be run over by a drunk driver on their way to school than to be killed in a mass shooting.

Just like people love to point out that places that banned guns like UK,Japan and Australia have negligible school shootings (and homicide by gun) places that banned alcohol like Saudi Arabia, Iran and Qatar have negligible deaths by drunk driving.
It used to be more, but a group of mothers were angry and tired of losing their kids to drunk drivers.

What we have here is a group of young people who are angry and tired of losing their classmates to mass shooters.

These kids are very determined and listening to them, some of them sound a lot smarter than some elected officials. They aren't going to let this go and they aren't going to stop broadcasting clearly and loudly how much money Rubio, Scott and Trump took from the NRA.

This group of young people remind me of the 60s when the younger generation (the ones dying) had had it with Vietnam and started protesting loudly.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:06 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
With a majority of Republicans calling the shots, nothing meaningful will be done. Sure, they will do some minor things. If you want a meaningful outcome you need to get the Republicans out....

Old 02-20-2018, 11:11 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
With a majority of Republicans calling the shots, nothing meaningful will be done. Sure, they will do some minor things. If you want a meaningful outcome you need to get the Republicans out....
OH I KNOW RIGHT, I mean I'm sure if Democrats controlled the White House and had a SUPER majority in both the Senate and Congress they would have made meaningful MAJOR changes... oh wait, they had this not too long ago... geee I wonder what happened Democratic politicians are all talk, even Republican ones too, but Trump has forced them to act, which is why he is such a great president.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
If it will change Florida politically is not the question (it won't, because people have short attention spans).

The question is will it change the pattern of gun violence and mass shooting in the US. As long as they fail to address the root cause (and not the ineffective and meaningless solutions like "assault weapons ban") - - enforcement of existing gun laws, address lapses on law enforcement due dillgence on investigation of potential risks, addressing mental illness in young adults, discourage the focus on the shooter which promotes copy cat murder sprees, it will continue. Those are not, nor should it be, issues subject to partisan politics.
agree w/ all of the above....

and to add: all this attention given to the nutjob criminal will only produce more copycat incidents, imo....wish they wouldn't plaster the dude's face all over digital news, print, cable news, social media, etc etc.......I guarantee that there's more than one nutcase out there in the country already fantasizing about his attempted at becoming glorified/made into a heinous celebrity......

Old 02-20-2018, 12:06 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The president has been in office for only a little over a year, from 2009 to 2013 the democrats held both houses of congress and the presidential office. 2013 to 2016 the Senate majority was also democratic, as was of course the executive branch. All through this time there were episodes of mass shootings.

If you want meaningful action (which doesn't mean necessarily mean additional gun control at all, but overall legislation addressing the root cause), you should remove the partisan politics and bickering - that includes politicians as well as the public. In other words - the problem is YOU! You are part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida