Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times

Advertisements

Yep, I know they're there ... what I want to know is: how much do they really love Dog? I am quite interested to paddle the Suwannee River trail — With my dog. He's a Water dog to boot, which means there is No way to keep him in the boat all the time.

He's a BIG dog ... and tough as nails (Chesapeake Retriever, about 115 pounds of muscle and hard-head) ... but NO dog is a match for any even half-grown alligator.

I have read the gators Love dog meat and will go out of their way and brave civilization to get a good meal of man's best friend.

True?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 07:21 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
If it were me I wouldn't take the chance. I saw a gator eat/grap a Rottweiler in a canal around here, which is about the same size as your dog. I'd rather be safe than sorry

Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,099 times
I don't know that dogs are their #1 choice for meat or not, but I do know a gator will get a dog in a heart beat. When I lived in FL I know a few people that had dogs killed in their yards by gators.
I don't think I would take the chance of taking my dog in a boat in gator country.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:53 AM

21 posts, read 80,356 times
Again, might as well tell the truth!

Never had a dog in my entire life get eaten - or as much as threatened - by a gator. Never even heard of such a thing happening first hand, from my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc...despite being born & raised on a spring that feeds the Suwannee River.

Personally taken months-long trips down the river with my own dogs...Again, never been eaten.

But hey, whatever...

Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I can't tell you about the Swannee river as far as gators go, but if the gator is hungry and your dog or you are in the water then you are taking a risk especially early or late in the day.
I lived on a lake and a gator got a GS who was swimming in the lake. There are numerous reports of gators grabbing dogs in FL. One happened a couple of weeks ago in Tampa at a park with lots of ppl walking in the AM, a woman's dog got too close to the lake and a gator grabbed it.
Several years ago a woman was cleaning up around her yard on lake and a gator grabbed her..

Some will say it is because gators loose their fear of humans because ppl feed them.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:06 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Cue View Post
Again, might as well tell the truth!

Never had a dog in my entire life get eaten - or as much as threatened - by a gator. Never even heard of such a thing happening first hand, from my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc...despite being born & raised on a spring that feeds the Suwannee River.

Personally taken months-long trips down the river with my own dogs...Again, never been eaten.

But hey, whatever...

I have never had a dog eaten by a gator either, but other people have. As Keeper said in the above post, there are numerous reports of gator attacks on dogs in FL.

{Do not allow pets to swim, exercise or drink in waters that may contain alligators or in designated swimming areas with humans. Dogs are more susceptible to being attacked than humans because dogs resemble the natural prey of alligators.}

Dog believed dead after gator attack - News - GainesvilleSun.com (http://www.gainesvillesun.com/article/20080113/NEWS/739396288 - broken link)

Jogger snatches his dog out of alligator's mouth -- Human Interest, Everglades -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Three People Killed In Deadly Florida Alligator Attacks!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:13 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Here is an interesting article about gators. I read somewhere their stomachs were the size of a football and they can go months without eating.

Everglades National Park Alligators

Old 03-26-2008, 10:01 AM

Okay ... I'm soaking up the responses ... seems my caution is warranted ... I will take the side of caution in this case ... no dog on the rivers.

I live in an area were "The Big One" earthquake is supposedly due anytime ... we are in a tsunami zone (I have waterfront) ... also staring right smack dab at one of the country's biggest active volcanoes (Mt. Baker) in front of my living room window. I am more concerned with human behavior than any natural disasters. Even the bears and cougars don't phase me, for myself or dogs.

But alligators and sharks are unstoppable ... possibly worse than realtors and attorneys!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I live in an area were "The Big One" earthquake is supposedly due anytime ... we are in a tsunami zone (I have waterfront) ... also staring right smack dab at one of the country's biggest active volcanoes (Mt. Baker) in front of my living room window. I am more concerned with human behavior than any natural disasters. Even the bears and cougars don't phase me, for myself or dogs.

But alligators and sharks are unstoppable ... possibly worse than realtors and attorneys!
Oh, I see, you live in Puget Sound and are eyeing FL as a vacation jaunt. I have ties to the PNW, including a sheepskin from UW, and can say that many of Florida's gorgeous water locations have the double-edged sword of containing alligators or sharks...I am therefore very cautious in this regard.

Bears and cougars? Well, they seem to be strategic such that a confrontation can be dissuaded...maybe. The others, sharks and alligators, are a lot more primal, for lack of a better word. Have you read of some of the cougar attacks in nearby B.C., kind of weird, huh?

Old 03-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Oh, I see, you live in Puget Sound and are eyeing FL as a vacation jaunt. I have ties to the PNW, including a sheepskin from UW, and can say that many of Florida's gorgeous water locations have the double-edged sword of containing alligators or sharks...I am therefore very cautious in this regard.

Bears and cougars? Well, they seem to be strategic such that a confrontation can be dissuaded...maybe. The others, sharks and alligators, are a lot more primal, for lack of a better word. Have you read of some of the cougar attacks in nearby B.C., kind of weird, huh?
Vancouver Island, one of my world-favorite places, is the unrivaled leader in cougar attacks ... a dubious distinction ... and I wouldn't say that those attacked were being foolish or careless ... the cats up there are just mean and hungry and serious and tough! But, that said, a cougar will nearly Always stay clear of any healthy mid-size or larger dog. So I can hike freely with my stinky buddy. Can't say the same for sharks and gators.

I lived in Hawaii for a while, with the dog mentioned ... I did let him swim daily in the ocean breakers ... he Loved it ... went nuts for the rollers! Shark attacks are pretty rare, however dramatic and newsworthy, so I didn't fret much. Florida actually has more shark attacks, however, than Hawaii ... and this dog knows No fear ... he's just so massive and powerful it doesn't occur to him that a mere alligator or such could even nick him. The fool

I am also a UW alum ... live in the San Juan Islands ... but feeling pushed out by the unbelievable pace of immigration and development around the Sound. Seriously considering moving to Maine (lived there briefly before), the only other place that appeals to me in the States for a permanent address. Thought maybe for winter escapes I could paddle the water trails in Florida ... but now I am thinking of sticking with my snow shovel for entertainment rather than tempt the critters down south. If it weren't for the dog, I'd love to have a go at the Suwannee ... but where I go, dog goes! We're entirely inseparable. You may have seen the bumper sticker: "The more I learn about people — the more I love my dog"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida