Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 09:04 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
. I paid the violation fee, but honestly felt like one of those people who was screwed by a system based on inefficient greedy corporation and a city who rips off people to increase their revenue. That is the reason for the cameras. City revenue--not safety.

I discovered later that if you go to court, you are most likely let off because they cannot prove who was driving the car (person gets the ticket, not the car). In other words--with this revenue-generating scam, people are 'guilty until proven innocent.' It is definitely unconstitutional. Thankfully, they've gotten rid of them in many cities, but watch out--I think they still use them in Sarasota, where I thankfully no longer live or drive.
Exactly! This is a money grab, pure and simple. Put more cops out to roam intersections if that is what is needed. The human factor here is very important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 09:29 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
You're picking the type of car accident you prefer

Btw https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshmax...awed-argument/
I've lived in areas with strict red light cameras and they worked great. I myself was guilty of running a solid yellow light when I had time to stop and got a $350 ticket. Trust me, I stopped every yellow light unless it just turned yellow as I was about to enter the intersection after that.

However, over there each video would be viewed and if determined that there was time to stop, a ticket would be issued with a close up face picture of the driver along with a 30 second video clip. You had the option to protest it, but the close up picture was pretty clear.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:58 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I've lived in areas with strict red light cameras and they worked great. I myself was guilty of running a solid yellow light when I had time to stop and got a $350 ticket. Trust me, I stopped every yellow light unless it just turned yellow as I was about to enter the intersection after that.

However, over there each video would be viewed and if determined that there was time to stop, a ticket would be issued with a close up face picture of the driver along with a 30 second video clip. You had the option to protest it, but the close up picture was pretty clear.
Imagine the revenue if they had cameras on all freeways like they do in England. The idiots who speed because they care for nothing except themselves would either run out of money or learn to obey the law.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Imagine the revenue if they had cameras on all freeways like they do in England. The idiots who speed because they care for nothing except themselves would either run out of money or learn to obey the law.
Yes, more government and more surveillance is exactly what we need in our lives

Old 05-05-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
And yet you want to get rid of the second amendment because of the rare mass shooting

But 1.3 million people dying each year in car crashes means nothing if it results in more government???!!!

LOL give me a break

Old 05-05-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
And yet you want to get rid of the second amendment because of the rare mass shooting
Fake news?

Please let me know where I wanted to get rid of 2A. Every gun nut says regulation = ban. It's absurd

Btw, I'm in the majority https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...irearms-498881

Old 05-05-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Fake news?

Please let me know where I wanted to get rid of 2A. Every gun nut says regulation = ban. It's absurd

Btw, I'm in the majority https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...irearms-498881
I don't care what some poll says, I will ask you again... and for the sake of argument even rephrase it. I'm not asking you whether gun control laws are good, I'm making the point that it's funny how you are fine with big government in one area regarding a right that has significantly less deaths in another area that is a privilege.

1.3 million people die each year from auto accidents. Driving isn't even a right. Yet you oppose giving red light drivers tickets via cameras because you think that is BIG GOVERNMENT intruding on your rights? Meanwhile, you want government to impose strict gun control laws.

You can say well there are studies showing red light cameras didn't have a conclusive impact on auto accidents. The same can be said about strict gun control laws. There are plenty of studies that show there is no conclusive impact on shootings with cities/states with strict laws.

I just find it funny how one mass shooting and OMG WE NEED BIG GOVERNMENT ASAP!!!!!!!!

1.3 million deaths... nothing to look here, doesn't matter, doesn't matter, big government on a priveledge EWWW!

Old 05-05-2018, 02:27 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
I don't care what some poll says, I will ask you again... and for the sake of argument even rephrase it.

1.3 million people die each year from auto accidents. Driving isn't even a right. Yet you oppose giving red light drivers tickets via cameras because you think that is BIG GOVERNMENT intruding on your rights? Meanwhile, you want government to impose strict gun control laws.

You can say well there are studies showing red light cameras didn't have a conclusive impact on auto accidents. The same can be said about strict gun control laws. There are plenty of studies that show there is no conclusive impact on shootings with cities/states with strict laws.

I just find it funny how one mass shooting and OMG WE NEED BIG GOVERNMENT ASAP!!!!!!!!

1.3 million deaths... nothing to look here, doesn't matter, doesn't matter, big government on a priveledge EWWW!
You made that number up, there are about 37,000 deaths from car accidents per year in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_...n_U.S._by_year

Old 05-05-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You made that number up, there are about 37,000 deaths from car accidents per year in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_...n_U.S._by_year
I just googled and that was the first response, the point is auto accidents and injuries are a lot more than gun violence related deaths and injuries.

"National averages report about 37,000 crash-related fatalities every year. This breaks down to about 101 deaths per day in the United States. An additional 2.35 million suffer injuries or disabilities annually – about 6,438 per day. The National Safety Council reported an estimated 4.6 million crash-related injuries and 40,200 deaths in 2016, a jump of 6% from 2015."

How Many Car Accidents Are There in the USA Per Day?

Old 05-05-2018, 02:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
On the roads yes. Too many idiots driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida