Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 07:21 AM

5 posts, read 3,302 times

Advertisements

Hey FLORIDA peoples, i find this forum to be very helpful. I have been in the process of reading so much of these post that I've decided to create my own. So I'm from buffalo and desire a change of pace. My situation is rather unique when it comes to this move because i do have the potential to stay with my company which has locations near Tampa (Brandon town center) or in Broward County (Pembroke lake mall / coral springs mall) and lastly, Broward mall in Plantation FL. So i may be wrong as to thinking that Fort Lauderdale would be the best option if i did decide on Broward County. Can some one please explain the quality of life differences between 1) Tampa 2) Fort Lauderdale 3) Pembroke Pines 4) Coral Springs

I am looking to compare information as follows:

Public transportation
Walkability
Who has nightlife better suited for the 21-30 crowd
What area would have less chance of hurricane and if possible has less humidity
Cost of rent for a 2 bedroom apartment (close to all the action i guess)
Who has more public events / things to do

Id like to consider my self as a young professional, I work in cellular communications and I'm also a great bartender. I'm looking into becoming an insurance adjuster in my future. I am sick of the depressing winters in buffalo so why not try the sun shine state. I see so much potential but very uncertain to which city is right for me, so please chime in with your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 09:30 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyd24 View Post
Hey FLORIDA peoples, i find this forum to be very helpful. I have been in the process of reading so much of these post that I've decided to create my own. So I'm from buffalo and desire a change of pace. My situation is rather unique when it comes to this move because i do have the potential to stay with my company which has locations near Tampa (Brandon town center) or in Broward County (Pembroke lake mall / coral springs mall) and lastly, Broward mall in Plantation FL. So i may be wrong as to thinking that Fort Lauderdale would be the best option if i did decide on Broward County. Can some one please explain the quality of life differences between 1) Tampa 2) Fort Lauderdale 3) Pembroke Pines 4) Coral Springs

I am looking to compare information as follows:

Public transportation
Walkability
Who has nightlife better suited for the 21-30 crowd
What area would have less chance of hurricane and if possible has less humidity
Cost of rent for a 2 bedroom apartment (close to all the action i guess)
Who has more public events / things to do

Id like to consider my self as a young professional, I work in cellular communications and I'm also a great bartender. I'm looking into becoming an insurance adjuster in my future. I am sick of the depressing winters in buffalo so why not try the sun shine state. I see so much potential but very uncertain to which city is right for me, so please chime in with your input.
I've lived in both places. Can't tell you much about public transportation, walkability depends on where you live in either area. Both have walkable areas, but are not considered to be walkable overall, except for St. Pete in the Tampa area. Brandon area is not very walkable. The nightlife question is easy, Broward County/Ft. Lauderdale hands down. In my opinion and experience, Ft. Lauderdale is more bearable during the summer IF you are located east of 1-95, due to Atlantic sea breezes. Both areas are humid, in my opinion Tampa Bay area is slightly worse due to the high water temperatures of the Gulf. Both are hurricane prone, hard to say which one has less chance. Cost of a two bedroom will be less in the Tampa Bay area. For your age group, more public events and things to do in Broward County.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,178 times
I have lived in North Miami Dade county which hugs Broward and I use to work in Hollywood,FL (Broward County). I currently live in Tampa,FL. There is going to probably be a huge difference in cost with the exception if you want to live downtown in either cities. Brandon is a suburb of Tampa and the cost of living is probably cheaper than any options in Broward. Public transporation is going to be a wash in either city. You will need a car. The only thing I believe is better in public transportation down there is the commuter rail to Miami. Pembroke Pines versus Coral Springs, maybe some others can dive more into details. But I found Coral springs quiter and less diverse than Pembroke Pines. Demographics will be different in Broward than in Brandon, Tampa. You can google the demographics and see for your self. That can be a touchy topic.

Now if it comes down to a good night life, Broward and the promoxity to Miami hands down you will need to move to Broward. For your age range, South Florida is better but with a higher price tag. Now if you want a little more laid back but still have access to good night life, Tampa is the place. I believe Tampa has a unique almost hippy vibe to it versus Broward/Miami-Dade. Down there it's heavily materialistic and how you look. All major concerts touch South Florida. With Tampa and Orlando near by you wont be lacking in going to public events/concerts either.

Hurricanes has to go to South Florida. Tampa has been lucky and not had a direct hit I believe in like over 60 plus years.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 AM

I forgot to mention, if you do choose Brandon/Tampa, there is the Ybor City part of Tampa for nightlife and it's not far from Brandon. Once you are in Ybor City, it's walkable.

Cjairo is correct about cost of living. Better in the Tampa area.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:09 AM

I'm also thinking, if you are from Buffalo, you will probably do better in the Tampa area, since the people are more real. You're less likely to get eaten alive by the aggressive posers.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 AM

17,132 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I'm also thinking, if you are from Buffalo, you will probably do better in the Tampa area, since the people are more real. You're less likely to get eaten alive by the aggressive posers.
There is A LOT of truth to this.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
There is A LOT of truth to this.
Having lived in both places for quite a number of years, that's been my experience. The OP seems like a nice young man with goals and ambitions for his life. I would hate to see him get chewed up and spit out in South Florida. There are aggressive elements that have crept into the Tampa Bay area, but nowhere near what is in South Florida. Much as I enjoyed my time there, Broward County and Ft. Lauderdale in particular can be a very cruel place.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 3,302 times
its hard to believe that it could be that rough in Broward....but would you say that Fort Lauderdale would be the busiest with more options of people places and things?

Old 07-18-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
its hard to believe that it could be that rough in Broward....but would you say that Fort Lauderdale would be the busiest with more options of people places and things?
I lived with the aggressive vibe of Broward County for many years, but I feel that you are leaning toward Broward and if so, go ahead and dive in. It may work out for you, and you are young enough to recover should things not work out. It is busier, that's for sure.

I'm a firm believer in letting young folks go for it and if they get a bit beat up in the process, it's just part of life's lessons.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:54 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
Quote:
...What area would have less chance of hurricane...
Just some stats for you:

Number of strikes per county in FL (data shows 1900-2010):
Who has lived in Tampa and Broward County????-fl-strikesbycounty.jpg

And the average return period, in years, for a Hurricane to pass within 58 miles of the marked locations (again just an average):
Who has lived in Tampa and Broward County????-avgreturnperiod-hurricanes.jpg

And same for Cat3 or higher:
Who has lived in Tampa and Broward County????-avgreturnperiod-majorhurricanes.jpg

(Above images can be found here: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/ )

But keep in mind the west coast of FL along the E Gulf of Mexico is very prone to storm surge with the more shallow waters (higher surge in shallow waters typically). If you would like to see if your property is potentially in danger from the surge of a Cat1 thru Cat5 then view interactive surge map below, recently updated with the new map style just a couple years ago. Keep in mind, each storm is different, the angle it comes in at, the shape of the land/bays, etc, how fast its moving, is it high tide or low tide, has the city put up features to slow and lesson surge height, and other factors play a role in what could be received, so take this as more of a 'in general' for each hurricane category and future preparedness / insurance/risk map:
http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Map...4dd7b277935fad
(zoom in, select categories across the top bar to see different water levels (defaults to just show Cat1))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida