Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 07:28 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times

Advertisements

Lost me with the volcano. I'll let myself out. Have fun.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:48 AM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Lost me with the volcano. I'll let myself out. Have fun.
Tree Huggers blame everything bad in the natural world on mad-made, this or, that. To them, humans (except themselves) are killing the planet. They want everyone (except themselves) to alter their lives to live the way the tree huggers deem as being acceptable...while they do nothing but write on forums that the end is near.

I wanted to hear if they thought volcanoes were man-made too. Or, earthquakes (I forgot to add those).

I want to see just how far they'd take it. So far, they have not taken the bait, but they will. Nothing in the natural world just happens to them, its all humans fault...sans themselves. Their carbon footprint is okay, and totally justified. They seldom list actions they themselves have taken to save the planet because they have not taken any action whatsoever.

I'm having big fun with them. The longer their replies, the more fun it gets. I'm their favorite denier.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:16 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Tree Huggers blame everything bad in the natural world on mad-made, this or, that. To them, humans (except themselves) are killing the planet. They want everyone (except themselves) to alter their lives to live the way the tree huggers deem as being acceptable...while they do nothing but write on forums that the end is near. I wanted to hear if they thought volcanoes were man-made too. Or, earthquakes (I forgot to add those).

I want to see just how far they'd take it. So far, they have not taken the bait, but they will. Nothing in the natural world just happens to them, its all humans fault...sans themselves. Their carbon footprint is okay, and totally justified. They seldom list actions they themselves have taken to save the planet because they have not taken any action whatsoever.I'm having big fun with them. The longer their replies, the more fun it gets. I'm their favorite denier.
We don't need to alter our lives to bring back a clean environment in Florida (we could stop throwing plastic and garbage on the beach and in the water, though).

We need new to alter our legislature and governor.

Make Florida great again--vote blue.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:59 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Make Florida great again--vote blue.
God forbid. Turn Florida into another Illinois, New York or California? Is this a joke?

Old 10-26-2018, 01:24 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Tree Huggers blame everything bad in the natural world on mad-made, this or, that. To them, humans (except themselves) are killing the planet. They want everyone (except themselves) to alter their lives to live the way the tree huggers deem as being acceptable...while they do nothing but write on forums that the end is near.

I wanted to hear if they thought volcanoes were man-made too. Or, earthquakes (I forgot to add those).

I want to see just how far they'd take it. So far, they have not taken the bait, but they will. Nothing in the natural world just happens to them, its all humans fault...sans themselves. Their carbon footprint is okay, and totally justified. They seldom list actions they themselves have taken to save the planet because they have not taken any action whatsoever.

I'm having big fun with them. The longer their replies, the more fun it gets. I'm their favorite denier.
We're dumping 35 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere annually. It's accumulating. We run the risk of thawing and releasing huge quantities of methane in the Arctic tundra and deep oceans. Ocean corals, including the Florida reef, the third largest in the world are dying due to ocean warming an acidification. Hurricanes are becoming more intense and carry more moisture. Toxic algal blooms are becoming more persistent and severe in warmer water. Sea level rise is accelerating threatening Florida coastal areas now, and perhaps much of southern Florida by the end of the century. Salt water intrusion of potable water aquifers already is a major problem in southern Florida.

NONE OF THIS MATTERS TO DENIERS. They would rather engage in stupid straw man arguments and pretend that nothing is wrong. They have nothing to say about the ongoing destruction of the Florida coral reef, nothing to say about ocean warming, nothing to say about ocean acidification

Hopefully, increasing numbers of Floridians and Americans will wake up and vote denier idiots out of political power. We'll still have the problem of politicians refusing to implement meaningful policies to transition the global economy away from fossil fuel consumption.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:42 PM

I feel a nibble.

Until last year, we had a Hurricane drought for a number of years which clearly signals global warming had ceased, and the globe was cooling instead.

If Global warming creates lots of bad hurricanes, then the lack of bad hurricanes means Global cooling.

What are humans doing to create volcanoes & earthquakes? Fracking must be causing all of those...right?

Global fossil fuel production & consumption is at an all time high with China being the largest consumer.

Trump has slowed Chinese manufacturing & polluting by a lot with his policy's. Tree huggers should be thanking him.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:09 PM

Default Red tide status

Large areas on both the east and west coast showed increased red tide samples this week with medium to high concentrations.

Red Tide - Statewide Status

This University of Florida research paper notes that toxic algal blooms will proliferate greatly in warmer oceans. See "How will harmful microorganisms be affected by ocean warming?"

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/sg136

This report apparently was published before the current red tide algal bloom which began last October, but it certainly warned of more dire red tide blooms.

President Trump and other deniers seemingly believe that ocean and marine scientists are no-nothings and that ongoing ocean warming associated with fossil fuel consumption has nothing to do with red tide. As Trump said recently, he has a "natural instinct for science" that apparently trumps (pun intended) all empirical data and peer-reviewed research.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ce/1674336002/

Floridians have trusted man-made climate change science deniers for several decades. How well has that worked out?

Last edited by WRnative; 10-26-2018 at 10:43 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 05:44 AM

WRNative said: "Floridians have trusted man-made climate change science deniers for several decades. How well has that worked out?"

It's worked out great!
-No deaths due to man-made climate change
-Lower taxes & regs enabling the economy and jobs to grow
-Great air quality compared to Smog filled Lib run LA
-No filthy polluting disease-ridden tent cities like Lib-run LA, San Fran, & Seattle
-Millions moving here its so desireable as they flee overtaxed & overpopulated Lib areas like NJ, NY, CT, & MA
-Trump signing into law a bill that earmarks $1.2 Billion for Florida's waters
-No more Solyndra and other green energy kickback pay-to-play scams costing taxpayers Billions
-Trump policies reducing Chinese pollution
-Keystone XL pipeline (and many others) built making it safer to transort oil and natual gas across the US than using trains

Out of time, but I could go on forever on how well Trump is working out for Florida.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:37 AM

Default For a "tomorrow" for Florida, expose "denier" obfuscations and prevarications NOW

1) Florida's coral reef, third largest in the world, is succumbing to warming oceans, ocean acidification, and other forms of pollution. U.S. deniers actually champion increased fossil fuel burning, let alone the transition away from fossil fuels, which can be economically accomplished given modern technology, especially if federal prizes drove the rapid commercialization of nascent technologies already under development such as organic flow storage batteries for homes and grids, and zinc-based batteries for electric vehicles.

Deniers don't talk about the impacts of ocean warming, ocean acidification or even unchecked release of sewage (think unregulated dependency on septic tanks in Florida) on marine animal populations, but especially of coral and zooplankton, important habitats and food sources for most ocean life.

https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/inve...ion#section_82

2) The destruction of Florida's great fisheries; the proliferation of toxic algal blooms, including red tide, in Florida waterways, and not just in the oceans surrounding Florida; the negative impact on Florida's once pristine beaches, magnificent nature preserves, let alone on the Florida economy and the livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of Floridians; more intense and more moist hurricanes due to ocean warming; the ongoing inundation of Florida and the salt water intrusion of South Florida's potable water aquifers. NONE OF THESE CONSEQUENCES OF FOSSIL FUEL BURNING IS OF SUFFICIENT CONCERN TO DENIERS TO EVEN WARRANT AN ADMISSION OF THESE REALITIES, LET ALONG SUPPORT FOR EFFORTS TO TRANSITION AWAY FROM FOSSIL FUELS.

https://loe.org/shows/segments.html?...42&segmentID=3

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...elizabeth-rush

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...st-400-years1/

3) Deniers dismiss that massive amounts of methane exist in the Arctic region and the deep oceans that will be released as the Arctic and deep oceans continue to warm and thaw. The vast majority of Americans have never heard of methane clathrates, both due to DENIER obfuscations and prevarications, but DENIER actual belittlement and mocking of climate and marine scientists, and the actual suppression of empirical data collection and its dissemination, and, under the Trump administration, the actual demotions, dismissals and defunding of scientists in the EPA and other government agencies.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...as-is-methane/

Note that just release of a small fraction of the frozen methane ("hydrates" or "clathrates") could raise global methane levels in the atmosphere by a factor of 12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_methane_emissions

4) Massive releases of methane and the resulting rapid intensification of global warming and much accelerated ice melt, including the gigantic ice masses in Antarctica, is unknown to most Americans. No concern is being raised about the slowing of the Gulf Stream and fears of its eventual shutdown. The diminishment of the Gulf Stream especially should concern Floridians as it acts as a giant cooling system pulling heat out of the tropics. In its absence, both the oceans surrounding Florida and Florida's climate would warm substantially. Hurricanes would become significantly more destructive. Marine life would face a even much more hostile environment.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...getting-fresh/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0718131128.htm

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44875508

Shouldn't all Floridians understand the impacts of ocean acidification and warming and a slowing Gulf Stream as they cast their votes for future leaders and policies? Yet denier politicians and supporters through their closed-mindedness and "Big Lie" propaganda (man-made climate change is a hoax) have managed to suppress scientific warnings, dull the climate change debate, intimidate even those who understand the threat (most Democrats) into inaction and even silence, and, distressingly, mute the media.

Persistent toxic algal blooms, including the red tide; more destructive and rapidly intensifying hurricanes, such as Irma, Florence and Michael; impairment of water supplies; destruction of fisheries and marine coral (there are many divers in Florida); beach closures; and the mounting cost of inundation (think Miami Beach); all are beginning to arouse suspicion among Floridians that something is very wrong and that they have deceived and led in a very bad direction by deniers, such as Trump, Scott, Rubio, DeSantis and others. These suspicions, even disgust, will surely mount with every passing year as the ravages of man-made climate change become ever more obvious to Floridians.

Demand that deniers, especially denier politicians, explain what happens to the 35 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere annually as the result of fossil burning, especially as this pollution is CUMULATIVE. Ask why they never discuss the impact of this pollution on the oceans, which have absorbed over 90 percent of the heat associated with fossil fuel burning and greenhouse gas emissions (this absorption will slow markedly and atmospheric warming will accelerate markedly to the extent that the ocean circulatory system, including the Gulf Stream, slow or shuts down as this system transports heat into the deep ocean).

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis...e-year-plateau

Yet Floridians still don't understand that Florida's once magnificent marine environment already has been significantly impaired and that toxic algal blooms will become ever more persistent and severe; that inundation, as warned by sea rise expert Harold Wanless, chairman of the geological sciences department at the Univ. of Florida may be much more significant than currently anticipated due to much more rapid global ice melt (see Guardian interview link above), with the result that with every passing decade ocean flooding will become a much greater problem with Florida with a definite possibility (barring a massive and rapid transition away from fossil fuels) that significant portions of Florida will be underwater by 2100 (Wanless sees a 15-foot sea level rise as a possibility, which could be dwarfed if a vicious methane feedback loop develops, as now being warned about by the U.N. climate change panel).

See "How will harmful microorganisms be affected by ocean warming?" in this University of Florida research paper.

How will harmful microorganisms be affected by ocean warming?

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/sg136

Among the first casualties of more rapid inundation will be Florida's magnificent beaches and glorious coastal nature preserves, not even considering Florida's massive coastal developments.

Americans, let alone Floridians, have no perception of the rapid environmental apocalypse that would be precipitated by the initiation of a vicious methane feedback loop. At that point, mankind would be at the mercy of nature with no means of halting, let alone rolling back, the ravages of man-made climate change.

Please read the attached links in this post carefully, and urge everybody you know to do the same. "Give light and the people will find their own way."

Do so for "a tomorrow" for Florida.

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/...219770350.html

Last edited by WRnative; 10-27-2018 at 08:46 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 09:02 AM

Buy a bike, sell the car, turn off the HVAC, stop buying plastics, stop buying Chinese stuff, volunteer to do clean-ups, or count Turtle eggs. Do something...anything. Writing diatribes on forums while doing nothing to reduce your carbon footprint is not saving the planet. After you take some real action to reduce your size 14 carbon footprint, I promise I'll read 1 of your posts all the way through, and even open the links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida