Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 11:20 AM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times

Advertisements

More evidence of Global Cooling as forecast by NASA...

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/16/a-min...-cold-8146529/

If this is accurate, Americans will migrate South to warmer climates like Florida's and we could have a real environmental disaster on our hands.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
More evidence of Global Cooling as forecast by NASA...

If this is accurate, Americans will migrate South to warmer climates like Florida's and we could have a real environmental disaster on our hands.
Oh well, I am here now, have my home, nice income and more people is the norm for every popular place.

If nothing else all the kids people have will increase the population and decrease land availability.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Oh well, I am here now, have my home, nice income and more people is the norm for every popular place.

If nothing else all the kids people have will increase the population and decrease land availability.
It' all good for us for quite a while, so don't lose any sleep.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:33 AM

623 posts, read 965,660 times
Quote:
It' all good for us for quite a while, so don't lose any sleep.
Crime is down in Vero too

Old 11-17-2018, 01:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
The Saudi's are starting to realize that their oil can't last forever, and electric cars are proliferating around the globe. Their global stock is falling along with the rest of the middle east. Where will they all be when we dont need their stinkin' oil anymore? That day is nearer than you think. Some say it has already come. The US is exporting fossil fuels now.
Where they will be is likely the supplier of batteries, cars, solar power, wind machines, tidal generators, dams and many other things to the rest of the world.

The Saudis were rumored to be helping to take Tesla private, as one example.
They are building cities that are totally solar powered.

I am no fan of the House of Saud - but it certainly is unfortunate that they seem to be planning for the future - while our government is not.

We will muddle through due to private initiatives - but, remember, the Saudis and the Chinese and Russians and Europeans can (and already do) buy those up too. That's the whole thing about our Corporate Centered Ways...anyone can buy in.

Who would have thought Volvo, IBM (personal computers) , Pirelli and many others would be Chinese owned? The Saudis bought our local giant plastics plant a decade ago (it was owned by GS formerly)....oh, the Chinese own GE appliances, of course!

Our biggest fault, IMHO, is virtually zero planning for the future. We just keep doing the same thing over and over again and then we act surprised when we feel our country is headed in the wrong direction. Of course it is...no plan is not a plan.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:57 AM

craigiri,

I agree with you that there does not seem to be any longe range planning going on by our government, or either political party. It all seems to be stuck in the here and now, and the next election cycle, but not beyond that.

It does concern me that seemingly any foreign country can buy any American company. I would not have allowed any IT acquisitions, or technology related company's to be sold to China or Russia.

Our medical system being in shambles is proof of zero planning. Both political parties tried to control it, and the more controls they put into place, the worse it got. Now we have significant dysfunction. They know what the solutions are, but they do not directly benefit thier own (politicians) best interest, so they don't pursue them. The medical industry has bought and paid for all of our important politicians.

Our system is broken. Lobbying, pay to play, cronyism, lack of term limits, campaign finance, printing money not backed by anything except a promise...our salvation lies in controlling these things because right now...they are controling us!

Call it the deep state, beauracracy, the swamp, whatever....they are winning, and we are losing.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:30 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Default On jellyfish and atomic bombs

A veteran climate change journalist laments the ongoing destruction of the earth's environment.

He claims that the extra heat trapped EACH DAY as a result greenhouse gas atmospheric accumulations is equal to the heat released by 400,000 HIROSHIMA-SIZED ATOMIC BOMBS. This explains why in the last 30 years, we've experienced the 20 hottest years yet recorded by mankind, according to the article.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ing-the-planet

He also claims that jellyfish thrive in warming oceans and are infesting beach swimming areas.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ida/694679002/

Proactive, non-denier Floridians living on the coast should perhaps put "Retreat from a Rising Sea," by Orrin Pilkey, a Duke University sea level rise expert quoted in the New Yorker article, high on their reading list.

https://cup.columbia.edu/book/retrea.../9780231168441

Last edited by WRnative; 11-19-2018 at 05:09 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 08:15 AM

WRnative, here's the NASA link you keep asking me for on global cooling and the coming ice age...

The trend of reduced hurricane strikes in Florida reinforces NASA's research. Only 2 hurricanes struck Florida in the past 13 years, while 7 struck the prior 13 years...clearly a downward trend...less moisture...less hurricanes...global cooling. No Cat 5's have struck Florida in 26+ years = cooling.

If there were more hurricanes, or if cat 5's were becoming more prevalent, you'd claim global warming, so I am simply claiming the direct inverse. This NASA research agrees with me.

You cannot have it both ways by claiming more hurricanes = warming AND less hurricanes = warming

Are you smarter than NASA scientists? Are your scientists smarter than NASA's? How many probes have your scientists flown to the Sun?

Sorry to bust your man-made global warming bubble, but the Sun is what dictates Earth's climate and is billions of X's more powerful than anything humans have done to Earth's atmosphere in the measly spec of time civilization has existed.

You're also are a denier that your state (Ohio) is preparing to sell Billions of $'s worth of fossil fuels to China. See link...5th paragraph:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...aised-by-trump

Google the phrase below to read about investment in Ethylene Cracking plant/s in OH. 1 under construction & 2nd's under OH EPA review:

Petrochemical Complex Project Facts | PTTGC America

Your state of Ohio has 4 oil refineries. Florida has 0

Your state will soon have 2 Ethylene Cracking plants that will export fossil fuels to China, Florida has 0

Your state of Ohio has 2,700 fracking wells, Florida has 0

Your state of Ohio is a top 10 fossil fuel producer, Florida produces 0

Despite ALL of these FACTS, you continue to blame Florida for being environmentally defective when its your home state of Ohio that is generating fossil fuels, and will soon be exporting CO2 producing fossil fuels worldwide. U R the denier!

Do you need for me to post these facts & links on every C-D topic thread you participate on? If I do, your cred will go up in smoke...pardon the pun.

Your home state of Ohio's CO2 producing ways are harming Florida, so Ohio is where the blame lies. I hope you are trying to convince Ohioans of this on the Ohio C-D topic forums you are active in. I think I'll go check them out, and repeat this post there too. OHIO is causing environmental catastrophe's all over the U.S., and soon all over planet Earth.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:42 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
The actual article is here:
https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2018...solar-minimum/

and it looks (to my amateur eye) like the temperature discussed in the article is more about what happens in the outer-most part of the atmosphere and has very little to do with what happens at the surface of the earth. Plus, apparently the activity he discusses runs in a 10-11 year cycle so I'm not sure there's any real long term impact.

I think it is far more instructive to consider that the earliest inhabitants of Florida came here about 10-12,000 years ago when the peninsula was about double its current width. Since that time, any settlements near the shore have been long lost to the sea. Now, THAT is real ocean level rise and it had absolutely nothing to do with man.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
The actual article is here:
https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2018...solar-minimum/

and it looks (to my amateur eye) like the temperature discussed in the article is more about what happens in the outer-most part of the atmosphere and has very little to do with what happens at the surface of the earth. Plus, apparently the activity he discusses runs in a 10-11 year cycle so I'm not sure there's any real long term impact.

I think it is far more instructive to consider that the earliest inhabitants of Florida came here about 10-12,000 years ago when the peninsula was about double its current width. Since that time, any settlements near the shore have been long lost to the sea. Now, THAT is real ocean level rise and it had absolutely nothing to do with man.
Bingo! Also consider this...we find animal fossils all over the Florida penninsula such as sharks teeth which suggest ALL of Florida was once under water, and now its not. So, oceans levels have risen and fallen before humans became civilized and started burning fossil fuels. It's a natural cycle, same with temps.

That having been said, I still have reduced my carbon footprint by 1/2 just in case. If everyone would do the same, it can't hurt. If nothing else, we'd be at least conserving resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida