Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:14 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
What does "having traveled" have to do with liking Lakeland or not?? World travelers aren't exclusively into large metro areas, and generally can find pluses in any setting from rural to urban. Clearly you have issues with smaller cities, but in reality you're probably well into the minority on this.

Lakeland isn't a quaint small town. It's just meh. Strip malls. High poverty. People who are well traveled wouldn't think Lakeland is a special place. If you grew up there, have family and childhood friends there, then maybe... moving fresh there is crazy to me at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think the gist of what the OP is looking was something between Tampa and Orlando for work purposes. It's not about wanting necessarily, rather out of necessity. As such, it's not a bad option and still not sure what kind of isolation you speak of. The weekday 9 to 5 won't be any different there and they'll have weekends most likely to explore which means a 45 minute to an hour drive, much like Orlando residents who are supposedly fortunate the beach is that far away...

The OP from my understanding would like to live in Orlando. However, he might get a better job offer in Tampa. He would be better off living in a good part of Tampa and driving to Orlando whenever he wants to instead of living in a small boring isolated town with high poverty that is still a long commute from Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 07:33 PM

3 posts, read 11,948 times
Default My opinion

So the only county between Tampa and Orlando is Polk county (at least on I-4) and I would not recommend living in Polk under your circumstances. There are plenty of safe neighborhoods and decent schools in Hillsborough county and Pinelles (st. Pete area and very close to Tampa you actually cross 275 and go from one city to another). Just do your research in those two county's and school districts and you should be able to find a place. Good schools tend to be in the good part of town and the surrounding county's of Tampa except Pinelles all tend to be pretty ghetto (pasco, hernando, manatee, and polk). A personal recommendation would be the "new Tampa neighborhood" in Tampa city limits but a good 15 to 20 mins from downtown. Has a reputation to be very middle class affordable with new housing and good schools and is more suburban in nature, mainly single housing next to an urban loft or apt and also normally you'll have a yard for the kids. Now if you end up in the Orlando area i would suggest winter park, doctor phillips, Windermere if you can afford it, or north Orlando about 5 miles east bound of downtown all of which are in orange county with good schools and all affordable except Windermere, that is very upper middle class and beyond so its pretty expensive.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:55 AM

82 posts, read 193,098 times
I appreciate the responses everyone. It doesn't seem that there is an ideal spot in between the 2 cities that offers a town, say like Windermere/Horizon West. I'm trying to keep as many options open as possible but would definitely prefer the Orlando area over Tampa so employment in Tampa may not end up being a great option for me.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 12,728 times
I'm glad I ran into this thread. I'm actually moving to Lakeland in the summer 2019 to attend Florida Southern College. I've been to both Orlando and Tampa and I like both places. I've never been to Lakeland and I'm coming from NYC so I know it will take some getting used to but I'm looking forward to it. Are there any places in Lakeland that I should stay away from when looking for apartments?

Old 12-16-2018, 06:25 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1025 View Post
I'm glad I ran into this thread. I'm actually moving to Lakeland in the summer 2019 to attend Florida Southern College. I've been to both Orlando and Tampa and I like both places. I've never been to Lakeland and I'm coming from NYC so I know it will take some getting used to but I'm looking forward to it. Are there any places in Lakeland that I should stay away from when looking for apartments?
The North side of Lakeland should be avoided. The South side is much more desireable. Also, stay away from all the lakes...huge gators in some of them. Don't fish from the edge. Stay at least 20 feet from the waters edge.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:32 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The North side of Lakeland should be avoided.
I'm not sure which north end you're referring to. The north end of Lakeland (north of I-4) has a number of desirable areas with some nicer apartment communities as well.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:17 PM

Thanks for your replies. I'm looking at Willowbrooke Apartments 1110 Oakbridge Pkwy. Anyone familiar with that area?

Old 12-16-2018, 12:19 PM

One more question. What's the job situation like there? I'll be a full time student but I still need to make some money to pay for rent etc.

Thanks for your replies!

Old 12-16-2018, 12:20 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm not saying Lakeland is a s***hole. It just would make no sense someone wanting to live in Orlando to choose Lakeland. Two different kinds of people in my opinion. Someone who would want to live in Ocala, would be fine in Lakeland. However, someone wanting Orlando, I don't see them liking Lakeland and they will feel isolated. Heck, even living in Celebration or Champion's Gate can feel a bit isolated because of I4 traffic, imagine Lakeland.
Yes, but the OP only lists proximity to theme parks as the reason to want to live in Orlando. There's undoubtedly other reasons, but we don't know them from the OP. I certainly wouldn't turn down a better job in Tampa just to be closer to theme parks. Also, if I took a job in Tampa, I'd want to be closer to my job, aka daily commute, rather than be a half-hour closer to the theme parks.

However, if theme parks are the sole reason OP is considering Orlando and OP was considering getting annual passes to Disney and being there every weekend, they might not have much problems with living in Lakeland.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:20 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1025 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I'm looking at Willowbrooke Apartments 1110 Oakbridge Pkwy. Anyone familiar with that area?
It's a good area, near a large upscale open-air shopping/entertainment center called Lakeside Village and close to the Polk Parkway which is convenient for commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida