Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 07:05 PM

82 posts, read 193,098 times

Advertisements

For the most part, I'm pretty set on living in Orlando whenever I finally do make the move down from up north. On the off chance I decide to take a job in Tampa, are there any areas I should focus on that land on the map in between Tampa and Orlando? Towns with highly rated public schools and low crime are my 2 biggest requirements having 3 kids. Basically, I'd like to keep it to a 45 min drive to work and to the theme parks or less. Any specific areas I should be looking into? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 07:10 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
If you work in Tampa, choose a good area in Tampa. Lakeland is in between but it's typical bland boring isolated small town.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:34 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you work in Tampa, choose a good area in Tampa. Lakeland is in between but it's typical bland boring isolated small town.
Well, not really if one is at all familiar with it versus driving past on I-4. Lakeland has a rich history and is far from bland with a preserved downtown area that's revitalizing. Downtown Lakeland Florida | A Little Mecca of Cool It's actually a small city (with a population of around 108K) and growing with a population increase of 30% since the year 2000, and hardly "isolated" since it's 30 minutes from the Tampa metro and 40 minutes to the Orlando metro. While Polk County is not known for great schools the Lakeland HS subdistrict (the south central section of the city) has quality K-12 schools in the top 10%-25% of the state. https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/c...nd/search.aspx

Old 12-12-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Well, not really if one is at all familiar with it versus driving past on I-4. Lakeland has a rich history and is far from bland with a preserved downtown area that's revitalizing. Downtown Lakeland Florida | A Little Mecca of Cool It's actually a small city (with a population of around 108K) and growing with a population increase of 30% since the year 2000, and hardly "isolated" since it's 30 minutes from the Tampa metro and 40 minutes to the Orlando metro. While Polk County is not known for great schools the Lakeland HS subdistrict (the south central section of the city) has quality K-12 schools in the top 10%-25% of the state. https://www.schooldigger.com/go/FL/c...nd/search.aspx

Anyone who has traveled or doesn't like small towns will think Lakeland is bland, boring, and isolated. It's also 1 hour without traffic to downtown Orlando and 40 minutes without traffic to downtown Tampa. Throw in traffic and you are talking a lot longer.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:03 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Anyone who has traveled or doesn't like small towns will think Lakeland is bland, boring, and isolated. It's also 1 hour without traffic to downtown Orlando and 40 minutes without traffic to downtown Tampa. Throw in traffic and you are talking a lot longer.
While I like Lakeland to an extent, I kind of agree with this. My mom and sister lived in Lakeland Highlands for a while after my sister landed a job in DT Tampa, and this was my assessment as well. No one really stayed in Lakeland to hang out. Most people either drove to Orlando or Tampa for anything other than eating, ****ting and sleeping.

Downtown Lakeland is okay, but not that much different from, say, downtown Ocala... It has less hillbillies, and there's a lake with swans, if you happen to miss Orlando's trademark swans while there.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:50 AM

8 posts, read 14,894 times
Poionciana

Old 12-12-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
While I like Lakeland to an extent, I kind of agree with this. My mom and sister lived in Lakeland Highlands for a while after my sister landed a job in DT Tampa, and this was my assessment as well. No one really stayed in Lakeland to hang out. Most people either drove to Orlando or Tampa for anything other than eating, ****ting and sleeping.

Downtown Lakeland is okay, but not that much different from, say, downtown Ocala... It has less hillbillies, and there's a lake with swans, if you happen to miss Orlando's trademark swans while there.

I'm not saying Lakeland is a s***hole. It just would make no sense someone wanting to live in Orlando to choose Lakeland. Two different kinds of people in my opinion. Someone who would want to live in Ocala, would be fine in Lakeland. However, someone wanting Orlando, I don't see them liking Lakeland and they will feel isolated. Heck, even living in Celebration or Champion's Gate can feel a bit isolated because of I4 traffic, imagine Lakeland.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Anyone who has traveled or doesn't like small towns will think Lakeland is bland, boring, and isolated.
What does "having traveled" have to do with liking Lakeland or not?? World travelers aren't exclusively into large metro areas, and generally can find pluses in any setting from rural to urban. Clearly you have issues with smaller cities, but in reality you're probably well into the minority on this.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying Lakeland is a s***hole. It just would make no sense someone wanting to live in Orlando to choose Lakeland. Two different kinds of people in my opinion. Someone who would want to live in Ocala, would be fine in Lakeland. However, someone wanting Orlando, I don't see them liking Lakeland and they will feel isolated. Heck, even living in Celebration or Champion's Gate can feel a bit isolated because of I4 traffic, imagine Lakeland.
I think the gist of what the OP is looking was something between Tampa and Orlando for work purposes. It's not about wanting necessarily, rather out of necessity. As such, it's not a bad option and still not sure what kind of isolation you speak of. The weekday 9 to 5 won't be any different there and they'll have weekends most likely to explore which means a 45 minute to an hour drive, much like Orlando residents who are supposedly fortunate the beach is that far away...

Old 12-12-2018, 05:44 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigfoot View Post
Poionciana
If you're suggesting Poinciana all I would say is I wouldnt suggest Poinciana to anyone.I would say its improved in the last 8-10 years as far as crime and some more retail and shopping in the area,but the place is still in the middle of nowhere and takes forever to get anywhere,its still not a good area,schools are not good and just getting in and out is not easy,I worked with someone who told me it was 2 hours plus to the Millenia area.The OP wants to be close to both Tampa and Orlando with good schools,Poinciana fits nothing there.I think its more important to see where you will be working and live close to there,thats where you'll be driving to daily,shorten your commute,I-4 can be a nightmare.If thats Tampa live in Tampa like BMW suggested,the theme parks are just an hour away,not a big deal!Lakeland is not a horrible choice but I just think its better to live close to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida