Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 01:57 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post

You seriously think that???

Of course he does. Extremists believe whatever they are told to believe by all the lies of the uneducated Hannitys in the right wing media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 03:04 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Of course he does. Extremists believe whatever they are told to believe by all the lies of the uneducated Hannitys in the right wing media.

Extremists on both sides... if you don't believe that, you should read what you just typed and look in the mirror except switch hannitys to maddows.

I have a few new neighbors from NY & NJ and their main reason for moving was outrageous property taxes and taxes in general.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:04 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
you don't have to think....the governor of NY...Cuomo said so

NY has a $2.3 billion tax shortfall this year....and Cuomo blamed it on so many new yorkers bailing out and moving to Florida because of the taxes

Old 02-22-2019, 02:39 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Extremists on both sides... if you don't believe that, you should read what you just typed and look in the mirror except switch hannitys to maddows.

I have a few new neighbors from NY & NJ and their main reason for moving was outrageous property taxes and taxes in general.
Of course extremists believe whatever supports their argument - that's why they're called extremists. I used Hannity's name because we were talking about a guy who shares his views and foists them here in what should be a nonpolitical forum but somebody always feels the need to change that.

People fleeing high taxes has been a common theme in this country since before it was a country. For anyone to actually believe that one party has a monopoly on overspending, I have a "bridge to nowhere" for sale. Taxes are the only method to pay for such things, regardless of who sponsored them.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:57 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I didn't say Broward County. I said move downtown Fort Lauderdale. Big difference between Weston and Rio Vista.
I'm from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood and get the difference, plus if anything if one were to have seen Trump signs in any kind of numbers it would be suburban Weston over Rio Vista given Rio Vista borders one of the most liberal sub-districts in the city (Victoria Park).

Old 02-23-2019, 04:50 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
There are no perfect matches in Florida. Downtown Jacksonville would be the closest thing to what you describe.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
I moved to Florida just over a year ago and voted for Gillum a few months ago and will be voting 100% for Bernie in the primary next year. I hope there are thousands of others like me who are new to Florida. Conservative policies work great -- for the wealthy. Not so much for normal working people. Florida, to this day, has a per capita income LESS than the national average. Tons of poverty, obesity, less educational attainment and super low wages and an affordable housing crisis. CONTRAST that with Connecticut, which has the highest per capita income in the nation, ranks among the top 5 states for health, educational attainment and the jobs pay HIGH wages. It's like night and day. Trust me, having lived in a blue state and now a red state, I can say with full confidence that Florida is overall a substandard society compared to the Northeastern states. Most people I know who are transplants would agree.

But now that I live here, I do care about it and its future. I hope one day Florida can be exactly like a real Northeastern state with high wages, a highly educated society with low crime rates and healthier people. One day...

Old 02-26-2019, 05:24 AM

17,197 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I moved to Florida just over a year ago and voted for Gillum a few months ago and will be voting 100% for Bernie in the primary next year. I hope there are thousands of others like me who are new to Florida. Conservative policies work great -- for the wealthy. Not so much for normal working people. Florida, to this day, has a per capita income LESS than the national average. Tons of poverty, obesity, less educational attainment and super low wages and an affordable housing crisis. CONTRAST that with Connecticut, which has the highest per capita income in the nation, ranks among the top 5 states for health, educational attainment and the jobs pay HIGH wages. It's like night and day. Trust me, having lived in a blue state and now a red state, I can say with full confidence that Florida is overall a substandard society compared to the Northeastern states. Most people I know who are transplants would agree.

But now that I live here, I do care about it and its future. I hope one day Florida can be exactly like a real Northeastern state with high wages, a highly educated society with low crime rates and healthier people. One day...
Not true at all. With regard to both statements in bold.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_marlowe View Post
Having trouble finding a Florida city to move to based on my liefstyle and preferences.

Late 20s, work from home, 6 figures income.
Very libertarian/conservative and hate liberals, but I love dense urban cities.
Only interested in apartments.
Don't own a car; prefer to walk, bike, or take transit/uber.
Don't care about bars or "night life" other than eating out and seeing a movie maybe once a week.
Don't care much about being near cultural stuff like galleries or museums.
Don't care about "diversity".
Enjoy walking/hiking/biking in nature.

I currently live in Miami and love it, but I want to live somewhere where everyone speaks English.

Thanks, and let me know if any other info would help.
I cant think of a city in Fla that meets all your requirements,getting around without a car is a tough one in Florida. Places you might consider
Ocala/Gainsville area or some of the panhandle communities like Panama City/Pensacola.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I agree with some of the others. Other than where you are already there aren't any cities in Florida that meet your criteria. If you like cold weather NYC sounds like the place for you.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 02-26-2019 at 05:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida