Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:20 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that many skilled labor positions that pay well in the NE do not pay here at all.

I remember one poster here was horrified that she and her husband moved from the NE as a CNA and a carpet layer could not find jobs that paid more than $8.50 hour for either when they were used to making $20 an hour each.

Find the job first then move. I can't stress than enough.

Even places like Miami only pay well for specialized positions like International banking or medicine. Otherwise their job market sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 03:26 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Miami has the lowest median income in FL out of the major cities. However, I agree with doing job research first. You don’t necessarily have to have a job lined up if you have ample savings, but do your research on pay for your job to make sure that’s okay with you.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:31 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Palm Coast is great for a Retired person that doesn't need to work but you are going to be in a world of hurt looking for work in palm coast. Many people have to do long commutes to daytona beach or jacksonville for work.
This
OP ya'll have a lot of homework to do before you move down.
How much savings do you have?
Do you know anyone down here?
How much time have you spent here and in what areas?
When did you start applying for work and what avenues are you using to seek jobs?

Old 02-23-2019, 04:37 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Glades county.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:42 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Don't know the availability of jobs in Jacksonville, but know there are lots and lots of people who work in the Deerwood area, Baymeadows Way area and around the Baptist South Hospital.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida2019 View Post
Hello all.
My family and I are relocating from NH to Florida this fall. We were looking into the Palm Coast area .. due to low crime, and from everything I am reading it seems to be quiet but close enough to the bigger cities. Only downfall that I am reading about is the lack of jobs. I am okay to travel a little for weekend trips/malls/Disney .. whatever. But would be ideal to work close to home. We are all in our early to mid 20's. We are thinking of renting a home for about a year first before buying/settling to one place with such a big move. We are taking a trip to visit different areas in May and I was just looking to get some suggestions on where to look? Maybe around the Palm Coast area?? But open to other suggestions as well! Safety is a big must (though everywhere has crime) but the less the better obviously And trying to stay away from the too expensive areas as like I said we are all young and are starting out in our careers. Thank you in advance for all of your help!!! We are so excited about this next adventure!!
Give Ormond Beach a look =https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ormond_Beach,_Florida

Old 03-04-2019, 05:28 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Don't know the availability of jobs in Jacksonville, but know there are lots and lots of people who work in the Deerwood area, Baymeadows Way area and around the Baptist South Hospital.
That area is healthcare and high tech/IT.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:52 AM

518 posts, read 1,052,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida2019 View Post
Hello all.
My family and I are relocating from NH to Florida this fall. We were looking into the Palm Coast area .. due to low crime, and from everything I am reading it seems to be quiet but close enough to the bigger cities. Only downfall that I am reading about is the lack of jobs. I am okay to travel a little for weekend trips/malls/Disney .. whatever. But would be ideal to work close to home. We are all in our early to mid 20's. We are thinking of renting a home for about a year first before buying/settling to one place with such a big move. We are taking a trip to visit different areas in May and I was just looking to get some suggestions on where to look? Maybe around the Palm Coast area?? But open to other suggestions as well! Safety is a big must (though everywhere has crime) but the less the better obviously And trying to stay away from the too expensive areas as like I said we are all young and are starting out in our careers. Thank you in advance for all of your help!!! We are so excited about this next adventure!!
Did you end up moving? Where did you chose? Happy?

Old 02-24-2020, 11:41 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
Did you end up moving? Where did you chose? Happy?
They haven't posted anything since last February, however anyone reading this considering a move anywhere please get a job first before you move. Biggest mistake is to move without a job secured first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida