Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:11 PM

21 posts, read 80,372 times

Advertisements

I WAS happy with my salary, until 7 years ago.

My great aunt was forced out of her native homestead of 80 years because her taxes became so high that she couldn't afford to keep her place.

I visited the county about it.

The next day my tires were slashed, and my garbage was tossed around the neighborhood. The police assured me this had nothing to do with my visit to the county. So I started my own business. I won't even bother to recant the problems I had afterwards. I was ASSURED it had nothing to do with my new business venture.

Sorry, I just read the entire question. I'm from FL, not NY.

Last edited by Bubba Cue; 04-15-2008 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 08:43 PM

56 posts, read 166,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
We have been here going on 4 years and like a lot of things about Florida. The summers are very hard even though we love the heat. It just gets hotter every year We have a lot of great friends here and there is always something to do close by. We like our town a lot and I love my doctors, grocery store, gym, local bookstore, etc.. We are in a bad financial position since moving here. We moved with NO debt (even car) and had a lot of money in savings. Now we are in debt- a position we hate to be in. We never had debt up north so it is a big stress. We have 3 degrees between us and great work history (we are used to running business-I have a few of my own.) I am lucky to have a friend in NJ that sends me programming work, otherwise I would be in trouble! We have never struggled as hard as we have in FL to find good jobs.
Where did you live in MA, and what town are you in now? I live in Long Island and were paying 3100 a month for are mortgage.We want to sell our house and rent for a year or two in Florida so we can see what areas we like before we buy.I saw some nice rentals in Melbourne for 1200 a month. Are you planning on staying in Florida?

Old 04-19-2008, 07:40 PM

7,929 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelar75 View Post
Wow thats a big pay cut. Thats what I'm paying for health insurance now but its for family insurance.I could get cheaper insurance threw my husbands job but my insurance covers 100% any hospital stays or proceedurs,and with two kids and one with pulminary stinosis it makes more sence to stick with the one we have. Was the move worth it, are you guys in a better financial situation?
Make sure you check out thoroughly Florida's insurance regulations regarding pre existing conditions if your child has pulmonary stenosis. Florida is very pro insurance company compared to the rules in the NE. An uncovered diagnosis could wipe out all financial improvement in one hospitalization.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:00 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,215 times
I won't quote what I make, but according to the stats around the country for my position, I'm paid very well. I have an AAS degree in Business Management and Accounting.

I will add that my employer, while not exactly stable, pays all employees an attractive salary and our benefits are pretty good with a reasonable monthly employee contribution.

I go the extra mile on the job. My boss knows it and the boss of my boss knows it. I'll do whatever it takes, professionally, LOL, to keep myself firmly rooted there.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:42 AM

208 posts, read 605,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RECD Designz View Post
Funny you should mention that. I am one of those "Yankees" you refer to that has recently moved here.

I have noticed there are ALOT more people here than in the NY/NJ/CT area, that like to tailgate and I have come to one conclusion as to why that is....NASCAR!

NASCAR is huge here in the south and most people must think they're supposed to "draft" the car in front of them - lol!

As to the original question, I am satisfied...for now.

I transferred with my job and did get a pay reduction, but with the saving in state tax and tolls, it about evens out for me. Auto insurance for me is less than what I paid in NY, while HOI is slightly higher. Property taxes for me now are half what I paid in NY, and my house and lot are about twice the size I had in NY

LOL..Funny. I drive all over the country and NASCAR must be a national sport because I see tailgating as a common practice in all parts of the US.

Anyway, I lived in Florida from the late 1980's up until 2003. I saw alot of drastic changes in the state during that time period. Florida simply became unaffordable. It used to be a place with low salaries (everyone just expected it) and a low cost of living. Currently the salaries do not match the cost of living.

It was kind of sad when I left Florida in 2003. Not only did the cost of living skyrocket, the area I used to love (Orlando) was turning into a crude and dirty place. Believe it or not, Orlando used to be friendly and affordable and traffic wasn't that bad.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:58 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,237 times
We live in Hernando county, my husband makes 3 dollars an hour less than in NY. Our rent is 1000. a month, 4 beds and a pool. In Ny that would be about 3000.00 a month on LI. Much to the dismay of all the negative posters on here about the schools being horrible where we are, they are great. I pay 160 to 200 a month for electric, on LI my electric was about 330.00 a monthand my oil last winter was over 300.00 per month. Car insurance is the same, the food is the same, why OJ is high is beyond me! Overall we are happy here. BTW my taxes in a crap area on a quarter acre on LI were 8100.00 dollars a year.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:19 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelar75 View Post
Where did you live in MA, and what town are you in now? I live in Long Island and were paying 3100 a month for are mortgage.We want to sell our house and rent for a year or two in Florida so we can see what areas we like before we buy.I saw some nice rentals in Melbourne for 1200 a month. Are you planning on staying in Florida?
We lived north of Boston on the NH border in MA. Here we are in Celebration. If we both get good jobs soon we may consider staying. If not we will move back as soon as the condo sells.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
Im not complaining, I work for a private school and could be making more I guess. However, I feel fortunate to have a secure, decent paying job. Knowing that things are tough right now all over, especially here, Im thankful for what I have

Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
IF you have a paycheck in Florida, right now, you should be happy!

Old 04-22-2008, 05:42 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Question: should individuals diversify their skills? Sometimes we have to make sacrifices to be able to attain what we want...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida