Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 08:26 AM

3,979 posts, read 8,186,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
It's a very very expensive store. I would rather have self checkout if it can keep the costs down for us.
At the expense of the single mom checking out customers and not taking money from the tax payers to live, right? I HATE and refuse to use self check out because it takes a job away from a real person. Fire 5 cashiers to have 1 person stand there to oversee the self-checkouts. To me just not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 09:21 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,205,783 times
Self Check out is nice sometimes because certain cashier's are chatty and nosy. If I have to run in to quickly get tampons for my wife, I don't really want to interact with anyone else.

It's nice for an option.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:54 AM

17,268 posts, read 15,458,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Self Check out is nice sometimes because certain cashier's are chatty and nosy. If I have to run in to quickly get tampons for my wife, I don't really want to interact with anyone else.

It's nice for an option.
This I agree with. But really, I only care for it during those rare instances... Like if I'm making a late midnight run to Walmart to get razors or something.
Otherwise, self-checking out my cart full of groceries can be a pain, especially when the machines malfunction or decide that you didn't ring up certain items. Or you want to buy beer or wine and have to wait on someone to come and assist you.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:38 AM

4,487 posts, read 3,865,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Publix doesn't have an issue with long lines (See Walmart, ALDI, etc.)
They seem to have the checkout system taken care of pretty well.

Besides, self-checkouts aren't any faster, as there are always people messing up and needing assistance. Or buying beer and needing assistance. Or forgetting to pay for things and needing assistance... Thus rendering the whole process pointless.

My Publix ALWAYS has long lines. I would love my Publix to have self checkout. No Publix, I don't want your fake friendly employees to talk to me. I just want to pay for my crap ASAP and get out.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post

It's nice for an option.

Exactly! Why does every Publix cashier have to ask me about what I'm buying. "Oh have you tried those tampons before? Are they good?"

Give me a BREAK!

Just let me pay for that stuff with my phone, or in self checkout, and let me go on about my day in peace!

Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,754,254 times
Ours has them in Lakewood Ranch. I imagine it’s a phase-in thing and I imagine factors like inventory shrinkage and other crime have some bearing on a store-by-store basis.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:32 PM

9,377 posts, read 14,329,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No it's not.

Slightly more than Walmart (debatable if you shop right,) around the same as Target (but with a wider variety of groceries, obviously) and less than Whole Foods. It's right where one should expect it to be in terms of pricing.
Spot on!

I use the self check-out at Target because of long lines and slow cashiers.

Rarely in Publix do I have to wait long to check out, and by now the cashiers and clerks are like sisters and brothers, we talk about each other's children, food and cooking tips, the Publix off-market dividend-paying stock for employees only, hair loss, life and death, etc.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Spot on!

I use the self check-out at Target because of long lines and slow cashiers.

Rarely in Publix do I have to wait long to check out, and by now the cashiers and clerks are like sisters and brothers, we talk about each other's children, food and cooking tips, the Publix off-market dividend-paying stock for employees only, hair loss, life and death, etc.

You talk to grocery store employees, who are trained to offer FAKE customer engagement and PHONY chit-chat, about hair loss, life and death?

Do you need a friend?

We can all help prevent suicide. The National Suicide Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.

1-800-273-8255

Old 05-01-2019, 05:13 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,006,199 times
Groceries and self check out is a nightmare, I’d rather see more cashiers.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:37 PM

417 posts, read 268,539 times
My Publix has 4 self-checkout counters, a 10 item or less lane, and always enough regular lanes to take care of any rush. As always, I find nice customer service a plus. Some gripe about "fake" customer engagement, but a smile and a "good morning", "did you find everything", and "Thank You" is the polite way to do business. Some people just like to find fault with everything, what a sad life they must live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida