Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 02:55 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

I lived there for 7 years moved out in 2016, but go back twice a year because my gf’s family is there, so yeah when I hear someone complain about traffic on I-4 followed by implying they want to move to Los Angeles... I’m sort of like “ummm okay, good luck” lol. Or when someone in Florida complains about homeless, even talking about Miami too and act like it’s no different than in California, I think “umm yeah it could be worse, A LOT WORSE...”

I still don’t believe you but for the sake of argument, you would be like the Disney World tourist that stays on property and then wants to move to Orlando thinking it will be like living inside Disney World like during their vacations. You’re not going to fool me since I came from there, but I am eagerly waiting for your next reply lol.

1) Florida still has homeless, but the number has been decreasing double digits. California is seeing homeless numbers increasing by double digits.

2) The majority of the homeless in DC and NYC are sheltered. The majority of homeless in California are on the streets and parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 03:50 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I lived there for 7 years moved out in 2016, but go back twice a year because my gf’s family is there, so yeah when I hear someone complain about traffic on I-4 followed by implying they want to move to Los Angeles... I’m sort of like “ummm okay, good luck” lol. Or when someone in Florida complains about homeless, even talking about Miami too and act like it’s no different than in California, I think “umm yeah it could be worse, A LOT WORSE...”

I still don’t believe you but for the sake of argument, you would be like the Disney World tourist that stays on property and then wants to move to Orlando thinking it will be like living inside Disney World like during their vacations. You’re not going to fool me since I came from there, but I am eagerly waiting for your next reply lol.

1) Florida still has homeless, but the number has been decreasing double digits. California is seeing homeless numbers increasing by double digits.

2) The majority of the homeless in DC and NYC are sheltered. The majority of homeless in California are on the streets and parks.

Well I can tell you that the number of homeless in South Tampa has increased over the past 10 years. As I have now said at least twice, 10 years ago there were no homeless people begging for money outside CVS, Sam's Club, Publix in South Tampa. Now, they are omnipresent and they are copying the very California/Washington State trend of erecting tents, campers and other ramshackle "homes" in parking lots. As far as DC, I worked near K Street for 13 years in the 2000s and McPherson Square was always jam-packed with homeless people. And the last time I was in NYC (May 2019), there were homeless people living in tents all over West 31 street. You can cite whatever stats you want. I know what I see when I travel. I know what I see when I go to the grocery store in Tampa.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:48 PM

So in other words stats mean nothing to you? Just remember that next time you’re berating someone over climate change, stats dont matter, only feelings lol.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:16 PM

Homelessness in Hillsborough County was down 8 percent compared to 2018 and by 7.5 percent in Pinellas County.

Homelessness in Duval County decreased by more than 9% from 2018 to 2019.

California saw huge increases in homelessness and the majority of the homeless there are UN-sheltered.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:17 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Its a lot newer than CAs. Most of FL's highways and roads have been built in the past 25-30 years.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
So in other words stats mean nothing to you? Just remember that next time you’re berating someone over climate change, stats dont matter, only feelings lol.
Stats mean absolutely nothing if one day you have zero homeless people blocking the entrance to Publix and the next and subsequent days you see homeless blocking the entrance at Publix and other stores. Perhaps the homeless rate is down elsewhere in Hillsborough, but it is up in south tampa. If Hillsborough county had 100 homeless people and now has 90, and a majority of them have migrated to south tampa, it doesn’t matter how much the homeless rate has dropped in the county. What matters is how many I am seeing on a daily basis. What matters is that I am now unable to go to the drugstore without being accosted by a vagrant. Its a hot topic On south tampa next door

Old 01-12-2020, 09:24 PM

Just so you can understand your argument better that would be like Joe saying, well I don’t notice any difference when I look outside. Climate Change is fake news because I don’t see it. Stats don’t mean nothing unless I see Mr. Climate Change in my face. That’s basically your argument on homelessness in Florida compared to California. Like I said before... there are things better in California and things better in Florida. When it comes to homelessness, taxes, regulations, infrastructure, among other things, Florida wins. When it comes to scenery, job market, food scene, among other things, California wins. You arguing about homelessness even being remotely the same level is like saying well, we have hills in Clermont they are basically the same thing as the mountains in Yosemite.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:50 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post
Most places in FL are very well kept, sure there are some ghettos but that exists everywhere.

Perhaps FL allocates most of its money to infrastructure?

All of the 49 states in the United States of America beat California in some area or another.....

Old 01-13-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Just so you can understand your argument better that would be like Joe saying, well I don’t notice any difference when I look outside. Climate Change is fake news because I don’t see it. Stats don’t mean nothing unless I see Mr. Climate Change in my face. That’s basically your argument on homelessness in Florida compared to California. Like I said before... there are things better in California and things better in Florida. When it comes to homelessness, taxes, regulations, infrastructure, among other things, Florida wins. When it comes to scenery, job market, food scene, among other things, California wins. You arguing about homelessness even being remotely the same level is like saying well, we have hills in Clermont they are basically the same thing as the mountains in Yosemite.
I'm sure the people who live in Puerto Rico would be thrilled to know that the rate of major hurricane strikes/landings in the USA is way way down since 1950.
I'm sure the people who live in Puerto Rico would be thrilled to know that the rate of earthquakes in the USA is way way down since 1994.
The homeless problem in MY part of Florida has increased over the past 10 years without a doubt. I know that the vagrants I am seeing daily are not a figment of my imagination. And I know that they were not here 10 years ago.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper-Duel View Post
I been noticing more homeless in the Jacksonville area when I drive. I'll be curious if the official homeless % will continue to go down.

My next report I wish would exist is how much of a % of their income they are paying towards rent? I already have friends in Jax who are hitting towards the 50% mark, and that isn't good.
That's b/c the homeless rate in Fla is increasing (not decreasing), and the governments are lying about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida