Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 05:45 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,832,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Glad I'm not the only one here who doesn't have a hard time doing this.

You can also buy the trees for fairly cheap. I've gotten some at the flea market, and then some at a local roadside place in the boondocks. I think Lowe's even sells them.
Eventually, you'll get tired of having to pick up the fruit daily to keep the rats away, and they will sit on the ground. The rats and your neighbors will just love you for that.

I think I've seen a netting draped below citrus trees to catch the falling fruit, so I'd look into that. Perhaps the rats can't get to the fruit inside the nets? Also, check with your HOA, ours has a list of trees and plants and citrus trees are not allowed.

I have read recently that new laws are being considered, or have been passed, that says HOA's cannot stop you from growing food in your yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 06:55 AM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Eventually, you'll get tired of having to pick up the fruit daily to keep the rats away, and they will sit on the ground. The rats and your neighbors will just love you for that.

I think I've seen a netting draped below citrus trees to catch the falling fruit, so I'd look into that. Perhaps the rats can't get to the fruit inside the nets? Also, check with your HOA, ours has a list of trees and plants and citrus trees are not allowed.

I have read recently that new laws are being considered, or have been passed, that says HOA's cannot stop you from growing food in your yard.
It’s been 11 years. I haven’t grown tired of picking my fruits yet.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:09 AM

17,318 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Grocery stores usually pay rent (Publix though has been buying a lot of their stores recently though). Margins are determined by things like overhead, so if it is in an expensive area the groceries will be more money.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:40 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It was about municipalities and front yards. Hopefully people who decide to grow in their front yards will try to keep things looking appealing for the sake of their neighbors and the neighborhood.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/03/2...e-garden-bill/

Old 08-25-2019, 12:13 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,434,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
And I mean by a lot! I'm in NJ and regularly see sales on Tr*****na OJ of 2 for $5 in 52 ounce containers. I spent a week in JAX and couldn't find a store that sold a single 52 ounce container for anything like $2.50, or $3, or $4. Most markets were well above $4. That's like my home State of NJ selling tomatoes at super-premium prices. Ironically, one afternoon after driving away from lunch in San Marco I was held up at the train crossing while a freight train of a near endless number of Tr*****na box cars went by. Do these companies forgo having any sort of local supply for their own State, or are the locals just forced to pay out the nose because the juice companies can get away with it? I don't get it. I'd have thought the one thing you could get cheap in the sunny State of Florida is orange juice.
Tropicana OJ is often on sale buy one get one. I don't buy it because my dh prefers pulp and therefore I get Florida's Natural. It is definitely under $4 for 52 oz at Publix. Sometimes it is buy one get one but they have that more often for Tropicana. They used to sell their own which was fresh not from concentrate that was similar to Florida's Natural but stopped for some reason.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:05 PM

648 posts, read 518,570 times
Thanks. I must have been going through on a non sale week.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:17 PM

729 posts, read 1,301,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The citrus problems are ubiquitous throughout the state, which is why the state went on a backyard tree cutting spree in the 2000s (which people are still suing about). Today citrus canker (it's still around) and citrus greening affect orchards and backyards and all trees equally.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...e76614477.html
Don’t forget med flies!

Old 08-25-2019, 09:25 PM

451 posts, read 457,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Because groceries are more expensive in Florida. Groceries are more expensive in Florida and the quality is crappier, lucky us! And good luck finding organic fresh-squeezed orange juice in the state that produces the second-most juicing oranges after Brazil. You will have better luck finding a rainbow-colored unicorn wearing a MAGA hat and an Obama T-shirt.

As you assumed, all of the awesome stuff (including seafood) gets exported.
I'm lucky enough to get both Natalie's and Indian River orange juice here on the East coast. Both very good fresh juices. I've also picked Valencia oranges and made my own fresh juice. You can even freeze it and it stays quite nice for a few months.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:53 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,434,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Thanks. I must have been going through on a non sale week.
Well even non sale Tropicana is low $3's and Florida Natural is about $3.69 or $3.79. Well under the prices you mentioned. You must have shopped high end stores or even sometimes stores in high end neighborhoods or low end neighborhoods with little competition are higher priced. Walmart is always a good choice if prices are high elsewhere.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:13 PM

648 posts, read 518,570 times
I wish Costco sold Tropicana Low Acid, but then I’d have to buy it in a 55 gallon drum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida