Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 03:01 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
People walk out into or simply stand in the road either carelessly or aggressively throughout the state all of the time. It's almost a third-world style cultural practice that I'm just never going to acclimate to. No consideration for oncoming traffic whatsoever, and many become threatening upon receiving a little horn honk as a reminder that they're not the sole occupant of the universe. Children and grown adults alike. Add to that the prevalence of terrible drivers and it's unsurprising to read that Florida's a dangerous place for pedestrians. A one-two punch of Darwinian selection to be sure.
Yes. There is responsibility or lack thereof on the part of some pedestrians too.

There have been a few times when I'm in the far right lane and first in line at a stop light. To my left are trucks or SUVs. I really can't see to the left because of that. The light turns green. I get ready to go only to have to quickly switch my foot to the break pedal because a group of people are darting across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 06:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Yes. There is responsibility or lack thereof on the part of some pedestrians too.

There have been a few times when I'm in the far right lane and first in line at a stop light. To my left are trucks or SUVs. I really can't see to the left because of that. The light turns green. I get ready to go only to have to quickly switch my foot to the break pedal because a group of people are darting across the street.
So what is a pedestrian to do at an intersection minus crosswalks/signals(about 90% of all of them in FL) when attempting to cross, wait an undetermined amount of time until traffic is clear enough to make an attempt?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
So what is a pedestrian to do at an intersection minus crosswalks/signals(about 90% of all of them in FL) when attempting to cross, wait an undetermined amount of time until traffic is clear enough to make an attempt?

The incident I referenced actually happened TWICE in Downtown Orlando at Anderson and Orange. There are crosswalks and signals at every intersection downtown.

There are crosswalks and pedestrian signals at every traffic light on major streets like Semoran, Orange Avenue (downtown and north and south thereof), Orange Blossom Trail, John Young Parkway, Kirkman, Conroy, International Drive, Colonial, Alafaya, etc.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
The incident I referenced actually happened TWICE in Downtown Orlando at Anderson and Orange. There are crosswalks and signals at every intersection downtown.

There are crosswalks and pedestrian signals at every traffic light on major streets like Semoran, Orange Avenue (downtown and north and south thereof), Orange Blossom Trail, John Young Parkway, Kirkman, Conroy, International Drive, Colonial, Alafaya, etc.
Which was my point, that accounts for around 10% of the metro area sprawl. I'm not a pedestrian here normally (thank god) but perhaps it has to do with overall habit from a pedestrian standpoint if it's not the norm with crosswalks and signals?

Old 09-21-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Which was my point, that accounts for around 10% of the metro area sprawl. I'm not a pedestrian here normally (thank god) but perhaps it has to do with overall habit from a pedestrian standpoint if it's not the norm with crosswalks and signals?
Whatever. I just Googled "Orlando pedestrian death," and aside from Sunrail incidents, every result on the first two pages was a story about someone being hit on a major road.....where there is a crosswalk and signals at every intersection.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Whatever. I just Googled "Orlando pedestrian death," and aside from Sunrail incidents, every result on the first two pages was a story about someone being hit on a major road.....where there is a crosswalk and signals at every intersection.
Do you actually suppose they're all reported, especially those that occur in non-affluent areas?

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...says-new-study

Old 09-21-2019, 11:15 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times
Quote:
At night it amazes me at how many people just cross major roads in Orlando like Colonial Dr. or Semoran and they cross nowhere near the intersections or lights. In addition so many pedestrians are wearing dark clothing so you can barely see them.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Do you actually suppose they're all reported, especially those that occur in non-affluent areas?

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...says-new-study
I tend to think walking when I hear the world "pedestrian," but I guess it indeed includes bikers as well. I wonder what the stats are on bikers vs. walker accidents/deaths.

Nevertheless, crosswalks were on my mind as I drove around the past day or two, and they were everywhere. I don't know what else could be done. You have to be ultra cautious while crossing the front of a parking lot to enter a store.

What Southern city has mastered the whole public transportation thing anyway? The cities that seem to be the best at it were designed before cars became normal.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I tend to think walking when I hear the world "pedestrian," but I guess it indeed includes bikers as well. I wonder what the stats are on bikers vs. walker accidents/deaths.

Nevertheless, crosswalks were on my mind as I drove around the past day or two, and they were everywhere. I don't know what else could be done. You have to be ultra cautious while crossing the front of a parking lot to enter a store.

What Southern city has mastered the whole public transportation thing anyway? The cities that seem to be the best at it were designed before cars became normal.
Atlanta and Austin come to mind overall with cities like Chattanooga TN, Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC, Athens GA and Asheville NC doing pretty well with bike-friendly planning.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:41 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,239,391 times
Quote:
That's a load of BS. People in northern climates are a good bit more active/fit than most Floridians i know and average age has diddly-squat to do with it, more like the lack of concern/empathy for pedestrians and people on bikes for that matter. In a state where people are more inclined to drive a few blocks versus walk it's hardly surprising, nor with the lack of crosswalks and signals that give pedestrians a fighting chance.

Sad but true. Many avoid any outdoor activity for 4 months out the year because its so uncomfortable. Personally, I have no idea how people attend outdoor festivals in the Summer July, August heat. You can add clothes to get warm, but I can only take off so much.

Also shoveling all that snow in the winter is a workout too. We don't even have to cut grass or lift a finger in the Winter of Florida. That means no outdoor stuff in the Summer and a rather lazy winter for most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida