Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 02:12 PM

994 posts, read 968,591 times

Advertisements

Did you have only 1 , 2 , multiple places to choose from? Why did you pick Florida and why not the other places? I love mountains and hiking , but for a temporary winter move I would pick South Florida as I do not want to deal with any Scorpions or rattle snakes back in the south west . Sure they might be here , and I actually didn't see any scorpions while I was in AZ earlier this year , but I know they're out there at night everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 02:54 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
We own 2 homes; a beach house in FL and a lake house in Central MEX. Best of both worlds. Though I have strong favorable feelings to AZ where we owned a home for 10 years.

Until we turn 80+ we figure we'll continue to move around. Many places appeal to us, and we are not adverse to moving very 5 or so years. In fact, we like living in a series of 5 year plans since we retired 16+ years ago.

Tick tock. Almost time to start scouting our next place or places (2 home living appeals to us).

Old 09-24-2019, 04:53 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,456 times
We were thinking of moving to Hawaii or Florida. The Hilo area was slightly less expensive to live than Fairfax County VA where we were living. The housing area I wanted to move to is called Hawaiian Paradise Park (HPP), we rented a house there for a week and really liked the area. Then a lava flow broke out and started flowing toward Pahoa and HPP. My wife nixed dealing will lava flows and we moved to Florida. We are actually closer to the beach here in Florida than we could have afforded in Hawaii. Aloha.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:35 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Did you have only 1 , 2 , multiple places to choose from? Why did you pick Florida and why not the other places? I love mountains and hiking , but for a temporary winter move I would pick South Florida as I do not want to deal with any Scorpions or rattle snakes back in the south west . Sure they might be here , and I actually didn't see any scorpions while I was in AZ earlier this year , but I know they're out there at night everywhere.
Considered SoCal by the beach, as my wife and I both were born and raised there. But after making every comparison we could think of, FL came out way ahead. Now we visit CA for what we enjoy there and then come home. Saves us a ton of money, less frustration with traffic, crowding, cost, homeless in many areas and many other irritating issues.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:54 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
It's been many years now but when I moved to Florida from Massachusetts in 2003 it was between Florida, Maine and Virginia. However, the real issues was the jobs in those places, not the places themselves. I thin kg given the option just of those places, jobs being equal, I likley would have put Florida last. But of the three jobs the one in Florida was with the only public company of the three and had the best general career trajectory. That isn't to say the job was the only thing. I looked into the area. etc. and decided I could be happy there and once I moved down there I found it was really a great place to live. I stayed in Florida for 15 years despite my friends up in the Northeast thinking I would by back in three. A place is what you make of it, and I loved my time in Florida.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:54 PM

648 posts, read 518,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
It's been many years now but when I moved to Florida from Massachusetts in 2003 it was between Florida, Maine and Virginia. However, the real issues was the jobs in those places, not the places themselves. I thin kg given the option just of those places, jobs being equal, I likley would have put Florida last. But of the three jobs the one in Florida was with the only public company of the three and had the best general career trajectory. That isn't to say the job was the only thing. I looked into the area. etc. and decided I could be happy there and once I moved down there I found it was really a great place to live. I stayed in Florida for 15 years despite my friends up in the Northeast thinking I would by back in three. A place is what you make of it, and I loved my time in Florida.
CrowGirl, it sounds like you left FL at some point. Where did you go, and what was the motivation to move away?

Old 09-25-2019, 04:39 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
I considered Hawaii (lived there as a kid), San Antonio (lived there as an adult) and other parts of TX, Augusta, GA, Mississippi briefly. Reno/Tahoe.

Considering now Western NC - mountains. Less congested, comfortable weather. Not sure about winters. Also Colorado Springs (I imagine the winters won't be what I want, though - I lived several decades in winter weather/snow and not what I want to do as I age).

Key concern: Maintenance of home as I age and access to decent health care (healthy now, but as you get into your senior years, that can change quickly).

Been in FL for a decade. Tiring of the heat/humidity, people, congestion/traffic. I think I'm more of a rural type, small town friendly people type of person. I've experienced a lot of what FL has to offer (sports, water/beaches/fishing, golfing, cultural stuff available) - might be time to move on eventually.

Plan may be to do the snowbird thing - FL Oct-May, Western NC and Western Virginia mountains during summer months (RV or small cabin).

Last edited by TBMorgan; 09-25-2019 at 05:35 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 05:18 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
CrowGirl, it sounds like you left FL at some point. Where did you go, and what was the motivation to move away?
I did.....last year I moved back to Massachusetts for a new job.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Loved FL while I was there many years...back when I moved from Boston it was between FL and San Antonio, Durham, NC

Ultimately, I knew more friends in FL....loved the beaches close, fun cities close...lots to do.
Beautiful vegetation.

BUT, now that I am in Colorado for 3 decades...ah, the lack of bugs and hot humid summers is heavenly...
really I think Heaven is like Colorado temps.

Scorpions in FL and San Antonio, for sure...TX they were tan, tho. Prehistoric spiders in FL, wowsa!
Colorado you can have some spiders that come inside when it gets cold.
Black widows can be found hiding underneath things outside, too. Doesn't compare to FL or TX!

Oh, Durham/ Chapel Hills ...spent a few days their with friends, to see...but there was too much of
a 'blank' element....*I deleted what I said so not to offend anyone...haha, nothing racial or religious.
Not for me...the downtowns were great. Loved the College atmosphere.

I love Calif. And have friends there, too. But can't handle the quakes. And I hear it can be ridiculously expense.
Who needs that...I get so much space in CO for the $$.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:53 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I did.....last year I moved back to Massachusetts for a new job.
When I left Florida, I did not return to New England, even though I am originally from Rhode Island, and most of my parents still reside in the state. Once you become accustomed to the conveniences of daily living and the wide variety of amenities in a larger, newer, more modern and more accessible place such as Florida, for example, returning to Massachusetts or Rhode Island would be akin to a fate worse than death, in my opinion. There are many hassles that accompany living in New England that are unrelated to cold and snow (i.e., the usual talking points) and do not necessarily meet the eye of someone from another part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida