Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 08:52 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,782,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
According to official data available online at around 12 noon today, the number of new cases per day in Florida and Dade County peaked on April 3rd and has been on a slow if somewhat bumpy decline, despite some people who continue to cheer for upward spikes.

The hospitalization rate in Dade County has been mostly steady at around 6.5% of total cases and excess hospital capacity is around 40%, which means that around the same number of people have left the hospital, recovered or dead, as new ones coming in, without overwhelming to system which still has, as mentioned, around 40% excess capacity.

Dade County, which if it were a State would be around the 35th most populous in the Union, went on lock down starting on March 19th, one of the earliest in the entire country, just a few days behind San Francisco and surrounding counties. I am not sure if there are other counties that did it before.

Florida has conducted some 153,000 tests, third in the United States behind New York and California.

As usual for Florida, we are not doing great, but not so bad either, somewhere in the middle overall compared to others.

Expect a technical lull in reported new cases per day over the holiday weekend, then a technical increase on Monday. Hopefully by the end of next week the slow decline will continue, even accelerate, in spite of those cheering for a disaster.

Continue to
stay the f___ at home, probably until the latter part or end of May so that phase out of lock down could possibly begin.

Good Luck!
https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...8ddedb9b25e429
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 10:18 AM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Anyone know what's going on in the hospitals. Are they getting overrun, or is it business as usual? I'm guessing urban soulth Florida is different than the rest of the state.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:58 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Anyone know what's going on in the hospitals. Are they getting overrun, or is it business as usual? I'm guessing urban soulth Florida is different than the rest of the state.
I look at this website.

Overall, at the moment it seems that most hospitals have around 35% excess capacity.

Dade County, with some 460 total hospitalizations since around March 23rd according to official data, is now coming close to capacity according to that website, with 85% total beds filled and 63% adult ICU beds filled, as the number of people entering hospital per day has increased by 60 and 66 in the past two days.

Hope this helps.

That 460 number includes people who have left hospital, either recovered or dead, so I'm not sure the exact quantity of total hospital beds in Dade or other counties, but that data must be somewhere on the internet.

Anyone have a reference to info on that particular data?

In Italy, on lock down for around five weeks now, the number of new cases, by the official data, has plateaued and decreased over the past two weeks, but the downward trajectory so far has been slow and bumpy. Not as good as one would hope.

I expect the lock downs in the US to last at least another six weeks, and even longer than that unless in the meantime massive testing, both antigen and antibody, is well underway; only at that point could some kind of phased lift-off begin.

But these could all be vain hopes, who knows?

Last edited by bale002; 04-10-2020 at 12:17 PM..

Old 04-10-2020, 05:04 PM

30,429 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Dead around my area with only 4 cases.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:06 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
I feel the need to express my annoyance that DeSantis ordered inland state parks closed while allowing golf courses to remain open. My 'neighborhood' non-beach state park is pretty lightly used and it was just as easy to maintain social distancing on a trail there as it is on a golf course.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:19 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Dade County, with some 460 total hospitalizations since around March 23rd according to official data, is now coming close to capacity according to that website, with 85% total beds filled and 63% adult ICU beds filled, as the number of people entering hospital per day has increased by 60 and 66 in the past two days.
4/10//2020 7:00pm

Miami/Dade
available beds filled....58%
adult ICU beds filled....63%

..must have released some people

Old 04-11-2020, 05:27 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
4/10//2020 7:00pm

Miami/Dade
available beds filled....58%
adult ICU beds filled....63%

..must have released some people
At 04/11/2020, 6:18AM
Miami/Dade
available beds filled....56%
adult ICU beds filled....58%

So both lower than last evening.

Maybe that report from yesterday early afternoon was an outlier or a momentary mistake.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:51 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I feel the need to express my annoyance that DeSantis ordered inland state parks closed while allowing golf courses to remain open. My 'neighborhood' non-beach state park is pretty lightly used and it was just as easy to maintain social distancing on a trail there as it is on a golf course.
I'm with you. Yes the Golf Courses are open
I live near the Withlacoochee Trail and a number of others in Ocala. All these trails and parks have been closed for 3 weeks. You could go a mile on these trails and maybe see a cyclist or two. Yet the churches and there are many of them, are open for business and service. Talk about a breeding ground for the virus to spread. Oh and then take their germs to their favorite shopping center Walmart. Talk about hypocrites and a few other things.

I have absolutely no respect or admiration for DeSantis. He comes across as a weak Yes Man. More interested in pleasing his weak selfish followers. Really a piece of work that one is.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:25 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,364 times
He's on the news right now talking about how great the road work is going. wtf.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:14 AM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I live near the Withlacoochee Trail and a number of others in Ocala. All these trails and parks have been closed for 3 weeks. You could go a mile on these trails and maybe see a cyclist or two.

This issue wasn't the trails themselves (as you rightly observed people were spread out), but the trailheads where huge numbers of people were congregating prior to their closure. At the time people were also stealing the soap and paper supplies from the public restrooms as the panic buying was already well underway. The closure was thus borne of necessity, as allowing large concentrations of idiots + some subset of them doing some [very unsanitary] things to the restrooms isn't a good way to combat the spread of pandemic disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida