Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 06:25 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,747,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't give a rat's rear end if they report numbers. I commented on the fact they do not require customers to wear masks. Subjecting their employees and customers to this Virus. In other words they are not taking precautions, and showing they don't care. Publix doesn't need permission from the state to enforce masks. They care so little they don't even attempt to limit customers in the store. I'm sorry but this state is lax on just about everything involving caring across the board. Including Publix Money and more money seems to be how it's done in these.parts Screw doing whatever all of us can do to get this virus under control. Wearing a mask in crowded public places isn't much to ask for.
But you mentioned reports of Publix infections, as if they are the only retailer with employee COVID problems, when Publix is actually one of the few if only major retailers providing information to the media upon request. It reminds me of the outlandish comments about Publix in the “good ole days” of this forum before it became all about DeSantis, comparing state tax structures, and COVID-19.

Anyway, you are right that not enough people, whether as individuals or people with some sort of business or political power, are doing enough to quell this virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 06:59 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
exactly...can't rep you again

Last Wed Florida tested ~50,000 people....
....Sat they tested over 140,000 people......3 times more people were tested

..and the media reported record "cases"...while the percentage of positives went down
These are not the stats that have been reported on the Johns Hopkins site, as well as elsewhere. The numbers tested on Saturday were only 98,708, not 140,000. So, the positivity rate was actually higher.

See: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/...states/florida

And: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSlippers...tivity_of_new/

Also, Johns Hopkins has the current FL positivity rate at 18.6%, only slightly lower than the record 19.6% posted a few days ago. Could be a slightly positive sign. Could be a random blip. But both 18.6 and 19.6% are still way, way too high.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:23 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,127 times
Wearing a face mask should be required in all public places where there people are around. Especially places that deal with the general public. This is a public health issue.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:13 PM

496 posts, read 445,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Uh... They do enforce it. Every single Publix I've been to has been enforcing this for some time now, in addition to one-directional aisles and distancing at checkout... And Plexiglas separating cashier from customer.
They can only enforce masks it if the area they are in requires them. Otherwise they can't do anything against it unfortunately.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:08 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Quote:
Uh... They do enforce it. Every single Publix I've been to has been enforcing this for some time now, in addition to one-directional aisles and distancing at checkout... And Plexiglas separating cashier from customer.
That's what I see as well, but I'm in a County where masks are mandatory even outside. In addition, a public address announcer periodically blasts over the loudspeaker in English and Spanish that masks are required at all times, covering both mouth and nose, and that this is not optional, with an emphasis on not optional. Still, I saw one elderly gentleman and one elderly lady with their noses hanging out; honestly they looked confused. Could have been worse, I suppose.

What I don't understand is how, in a County with some of the strictest emergency orders, the reopening and restaurants, bars and gyms was part of phase 1. Shouldn't they have been part of phase 2 or 3?

The County Executive had to backtrack on all three, but then caved into pressure regarding gyms where now merely masks are required all the time (yeah, sure everyone is going to comply with that).

Last edited by bale002; 07-15-2020 at 02:47 AM..

Old 07-15-2020, 07:15 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Not in Ocala and Marion County. The employees wear masks, but few customers. The Publix stores are packed. There is no limit on how many people are in their stores. There was some plexiglass at the registers. Yet you can drive up to Gainesville and masks are required everywhere.

So it's obvious why Gainesville and Ocala are operating completely different concerning precautions. Which isn't saying much for Ocala and Marion County. Evidently it's not a very intelligent county.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:52 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
But you mentioned reports of Publix infections, as if they are the only retailer with employee COVID problems, when Publix is actually one of the few if only major retailers providing information to the media upon request. It reminds me of the outlandish comments about Publix in the “good ole days” of this forum before it became all about DeSantis, comparing state tax structures, and COVID-19.

Anyway, you are right that not enough people, whether as individuals or people with some sort of business or political power, are doing enough to quell this virus.
No your correct it's not just Publix. I guess I just expected Publix would require masks in all their stores
Even when local rules don't require them.

I'm basically upset because it's all over the region I live. Very few masks being worn in crowded businesses. From Publix to Walmart to Lowe's to the one shopping mall. To even a doctor's appt I had last week. Even the large Retirement communities. Many don't wear them and are very verbal about their Politics. The Mayor of Ocala has stated he will not enforce a mask policy. He also will not enforce any rulings that call for businesses to close since cases are rising. Should the state decide a shutdown again. So it is very difficult to feel any comfort here. Knowing that so many here even officials basically don't care. They contribute nothing to bringing this virus under control. Worse than that it brings to light. The local population here probably are not appealing types to live around even in good times. Like I said previously. If my home purchase was just a month later. I would of had the chance to see the areas lack of handling the Virus. As well as seeing how their Politics plays in to their lack of precautions. I would have then canx the home purchase in Ocala. As far as I'm concerned. How a region deals with this virus speaks volumes on the mindsets in that region. I wouldn't have moved to this area based on what I've seen here. Otherwise it's a nice area but people make a place.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:25 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
They can only enforce masks it if the area they are in requires them. Otherwise they can't do anything against it unfortunately.
Stores can enforce any dress code the desire. It's your choice to shop there or not.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:38 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
That's what I see as well, but I'm in a County where masks are mandatory even outside. In addition, a public address announcer periodically blasts over the loudspeaker in English and Spanish that masks are required at all times, covering both mouth and nose, and that this is not optional, with an emphasis on not optional. Still, I saw one elderly gentleman and one elderly lady with their noses hanging out; honestly they looked confused. Could have been worse, I suppose.

What I don't understand is how, in a County with some of the strictest emergency orders, the reopening and restaurants, bars and gyms was part of phase 1. Shouldn't they have been part of phase 2 or 3?

The County Executive had to backtrack on all three, but then caved into pressure regarding gyms where now merely masks are required all the time (yeah, sure everyone is going to comply with that).
I go to the Y in South Dade and everyone is wearing masks even while exercising. People do remove them periodically for a sip of water.

Unincorporated Miami-Dade County has had a mask mandate since April. I see no one in Publix without a mask, even small children wear them. I see most people outside wearing masks walking from the metro or going to pickup food, this is in the Downtown Dadeland area.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:12 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
hmm, so you're saying tourists are spreading it to the local population? While this is plausible, i wonder how many citizens have been following the lead of Desantis, who has been extremely blase about the virus.
No, I'm saying tourists are irresponsibly spreading COVID-19 among themselves AND locals; ... and then returning home with 'presents' for grandma and grandpa ... without ever getting tested/counted in Florida, before they are replaced by a new influx of tourists. Thus, both the measurement and response to COVID gets skewed and misplaced.

(Like Trump), DeSantis did not cause this unique, worldwide pandemic, but, has responded to it in whatever way seemed best at the moment. The tendency of the media and others to 'measure' that response in 20/20 hindsight (in the light of their own PC political persuasion), only politicizes this serious health problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida